Namkhai Norbu lineage

Mordor_Yogi

Re: Namkhai Norbu lineage

Post by Mordor_Yogi »

Hello all,

I have been a relatively inactive participant in the Sangha. I received one of the worldwide online transmissions in the winter of 2015-2016. I ended up mostly practicing in another sangha the past 5 years but have been interested in getting more involved in this community, in particular Tsegyalgar East. Live in the North East of the US and hope to move closer to where some of the Tsegyalgar East community is based in a few years. I practice the song of the vajra daily as well as the short thun somewhat regularly, occasionally zoom the group for Ganapujas.

I am sad I never got to meet Chogyal Namkhai Norbu in person but have been told that this is not necessary to do the practices.

As someone who is fairly new to the community in terms of active engagement, and fairly young (sorry! just notice I seem to be one of the younger Sangha members, although I don't feel super young myself), I am hoping the Sangha can find away to keep a Dharma community alive. I'm not super steeped in the culture of the community, so I may be way off base. But I hope that if there are well practiced students of Rinpoche and they feel confident in their ability to teach certain things that they do so. If people feel they can only teach to people who've had the transmissions, and if no one feels they are able to give one themselves based on not having attained high enough realization or empowerments, then I think that the community needs to invite other Lamas and teachers to come teach and it will have to become a hybrid community, perhaps some people practicing in other lineages but at the same centers. That might be complicated because different groups will want to do different practices, but some simple scheduling could be done to sort out what practices happen when.

Like for myself I feel I want to work with a living teacher as well as working with Namkhai Norbu's Dzogchen Teachings. I love his teachings, but I never met him in the flesh and I feel it is important to have a living teacher to connect with as well. I am hoping to do retreats with Mingyur and do some of the nature of mind practices and teachings he offers. My understanding is that both Norbu and Mingyur allow people to have multiple teachers as long as the practices aren't mixed together. I am hoping the Sangha can become more flexible to accommodate more than one lineage, especially if people feel they cannot give transmission (which would mean no new students).

As one of the younger members, I am hoping not to be the last generation in the Sangha. I would hope that as this dark age continues and Rinpoche's core students grow old and (sorry for this) eventually die, that I will still be able to make Dharma friends to talk and practice with regardless of whether it is solely about Norbu's teachings.

Maybe it isn't my place to speak as I am just becoming active in a sense now and most people on here have been active in the community for many years. But as someone who is technically able to practice most of these things (per the world wide transmission) but is also a fairly new member (learning the basics), I thought it would be worth putting this perspective out there. I am almost a new member in a sense. Feel like I have some elements of what newcomers might be looking for in my view.

My life is unfortunately so busy right now that I have found it hard to attend the Zoom SMS classes, and will hopefully get to try again in the future. But I do have plans to live near Tsegyalgar East, and I hope it will be a supportive community in whatever form it ends up taking.

Anyway thank you for reading. I know it is a hard time for the community and although I am sad that I will never get to meet Rinpoche in the Flesh, as someone who wasn't heavily involved in the community I don't feel the same weight about the institutions that you all do. Hopefully this perspective is still helpful even if it is lacking the experience many of you have had in this sangha.
Asahi

Post by Asahi »

I'm a student of Rinpoches. I understand what some may be going through. I can't give any advice, I can only share my own experience. I never was involved in the community. I just went to retreats. I was lucky to receive DI and spend time with Rinpoche.

I saw Rinpoche for the last time in Tennerife. When he left us my heart broke. Around that time I had some strange visions.

Ive dealt with everything in my own way as I saw fit. I know longer practice and have walked away from most things. I'm saddened to hear there are still problems in the community.
Sending good wishes to everyone.
Atton

Post by Atton »

Hello there

I gave another student of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu a lung of a Longsal text.
We both have received DI but only I have received the needed Longsal transmissions. The said person was very much interested in practising on the basis of this Longsal teaching but didn't have any option in DC. That person has practised it and has experienced signs of this teaching "working".

I do not want to disclose my identity for various reasons. Unfortunately I don't have any special positions, titles nor haven't been a part of any elite inner circle. I wouldn't like to be a "target" for people with more sectarian attitudes - I don't feel ready to handle that. Still I will help - in secrecy - people who know me and trust me.

Why am I saying this? I suppose I'd like to send out a message that I have full faith that Longsal teachings will survive - either with DC as an organisation or without it.

Also I would like to remind everyone in this thread about some things.

One doesn't have to a be a member of the DC organisation to practice the teachings of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. The basis for this claim is his own words and actions. He himself dissolved the Community in Singapore in 2016 because of its problems. He said clearly that Singaporeans who want to practice his Dzogchen teachings can do so (without being members of any organisation).

In "Do As You Please" Rinpoche wrote:
As for this confusion of the so-called Dharma centers, If they are beneficial, I sustain their development as supports of the Teaching; When they aren't, I try to diminish attachment and aversion. You who are keen on Dharma centers, do as you please
So Rinpoche wasn't attached - ever - to Dzogchen Community as an institution or dharma centres. We shouldn't be neither. If DC is beneficial then we should sustain its development as support of the Teaching. When it is not, we should try to diminish attachment and aversion. Just that.

Now then 2016 letter by Rinpoche IS NO LONGER RELEVANT. Why? Because the circumstances have changed. In 2016 the Rinpoche was physically present. Now he is not. If you still hold on to the list then you should know that this is against his own teachings (hint: "working with circumstances", "evolution").

In "Dzogchen Teachings Tashigar South 26th December 2000 - 1st January 2001" booklet Rinpoche says:
The supreme teachers - like Garab Dorje and Guru Padmasambhava who have achieved the Great Transfer, that is to say who have realised the Body of Light without manifesting death - all carry out different kinds of action, according to the situation and the dimension, and they give teachings to all enlightened beings, including the Dakinis and the ocean of the Rigdzins, this what makes a supreme teacher.
If we consider an average master, a Rigdzin or a master who has true knowledge of Dzogchen, who has obtained full knowledge of Dzogchen Ati and has knowledge of the tantras, of the lungs, of the methods of the Upadesha, and above all knows the condition of his students, or knows how to teach according to the possibilities and the capacities of those students, this is what we mean by an average teacher.
An inferior master is one who has received the transmission and the empowerement of this or that teaching or knowledge, has practised it and has had at least manifestation of the signs; so he has the knowledge of the state of Samantabhadra, that is he has discovered the condition of his own nature and has a total compassion for all sentient beings. So these masters are needed: is possible supreme teachers, otherwise average teachers or at least inferior teachers.

So I leave it up to your pure vision and understanding whether Rinpoche was the first or the second type. Maybe there is nobody in DC on his level. But I'm 100% sure there are people who could be considered at least "inferior master" by Rinpoche's own account. And based on his own words: YOU ARE NEEDED.

Rinpoche didn't give any directions on his deathbed. Why? It's obvious and fairly simple. Doing so would go against everything he taught. He taught us to be "responsible for ourselves" and he talked that when you are standing in line and going to ask the teacher a question but suddenly you have the answer appear in your mindstream you should leave the line - because we should find our Inner Teacher. Rinpoche also only taught the teachings and avoided telling people what to do with their lives. So Rinpoche left what he created and what he transmitted with us. Now we are responsible for ourselves. We should relax and do our best (hint: both "relaxing" and "doing our best" parts are equally important) working with circumstances.
Last edited by Atton on Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Atton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 am I gave another student of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu a lung of a Longsal text.
We both have received DI but only I have received the needed Longsal transmissions. The said person was very much interested in practising on the basis of this Longsal teaching but didn't have any option in DC.
Then you have done exactly the one thing Rinpoche said students who have received these teachings should never, ever do: Show it or give it to those who haven't received it.
I wouldn't like to be a "target" for people with more sectarian attitudes
You mean like Rinpoche's own attitude?

Rinpoche never said that it was OK to give teachings to others that one are not qualified to give, or to share material governed by samaya with others who haven't received it, etc.

This is not OK, neither in Vajrayana nor in Dzogchen.

Rinpoche has taught so many times, more than I can remember, year in year out for decades, that we must work with the transmission, and we must respect the transmission.
"The Guru is the Buddha, the Guru is the Dharma,
The Guru is the Sangha too,
The Guru is Śrī Heruka.
The All-Creating King is the Guru."

-- The Secret Assembly Tantra
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Atton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 am Hello there

Good luck with that. Let us know how it goes.
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

You shouldn't give out stuff to people you know don't have the transmission, that's just common sense. I don't think people need to get all fire and brimstone about it, but at the very least you are giving people something they are are not actually capable of fully practicing, and perhaps creating obstacles for them and yourself. The number of practices available to work with just to people who only have DI also makes things like sharing other practices unnecessary. Certainly, one can't be said to be 'preserving the transmission' by handing out restricted practices to whoever. I think you should reconsider your actions.

That said, even when Rinpoche was alive a direct answer about what DI authorized vs. what required lungs was not initially easy to find, the DC was not good about clear presentation of things like that, from my point of view. If they had been I think there would be less ambiguity today. I had to spend time on forums to figure out what I could and couldn't practice before just receiving a huge batch of lungs from one of the retreat webcasts. For rules that are supposed be to take so seriously, they were never well presented.
One doesn't have to a be a member of the DC organisation to practice the teachings of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. The basis for this claim is his own words and actions. He himself dissolved the Community in Singapore in 2016 because of its problems. He said clearly that Singaporeans who want to practice his Dzogchen teachings can do so (without being members of any organisation).
This is obvious just from the existence of the open DI webcasts, and from the fact that restricted materials (from SSI etc.) required transmission, rather than requiring DC dues payments. However, we could debate (and people do endlessly) about what Rinpoches exact words on this subject meant.

*However*, that has nothing to do with transmission. I have received a bunch of Sakya lineage transmissions and am not a member of the place where i received them. This does not somehow confer the ability for me to go share these transmission with all kinds of people who did not receive them. So, you are connecting two things here that have no logical connection.

DC member or no, transmission is transmission and it should be respected.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

Atton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 amOne doesn't have to a be a member of the DC organisation to practice the teachings of Namkhai Norbu Rinpoche. The basis for this claim is his own words and actions. He himself dissolved the Community in Singapore in 2016 because of its problems. He said clearly that Singaporeans who want to practice his Dzogchen teachings can do so (without being members of any organisation).
He dissolved the Singapore ling, which puts Singaporeans in the same situation as, say, South African DC members: those who belonged to the ling are still very much DC members, only without their ling. (But of course you can practice his teachings while not being a DC member.)
Atton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 amIn "Do As You Please" Rinpoche wrote:
As for this confusion of the so-called Dharma centers, If they are beneficial, I sustain their development as supports of the Teaching; When they aren't, I try to diminish attachment and aversion. You who are keen on Dharma centers, do as you please
So Rinpoche wasn't attached - ever - to Dzogchen Community as an institution or dharma centres. We shouldn't be neither. If DC is beneficial then we should sustain its development as support of the Teaching. When it is not, we should try to diminish attachment and aversion. Just that.
That is a very peculiar reading of the poem, I must say. Rinpoche created the DC. Spent his life watching over it. The poem is not encouraging people to dismiss anything. Its sense is in now way tantamount to a shrug, quite the opposite.
Atton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 amRinpoche didn't give any directions on his deathbed. Why? It's obvious and fairly simple.
Were it obvious or simple, we would not have had long threads all over the net, or endless phone calls, or endless chatting, etc., about his reasons.
To offer care and affection to sentient beings
In desperate situations who lack protection
Brings just as much merit as the meditation
On emptiness with compassion as its core—
So it has been said by glorious Lord Atisha.

Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche

If you cannot generate an altruistic mind, even extensive retreat will be of not much benefit.
Garchen Triptrul Rinpoche
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

What is the reason for posting this here?
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:14 pm DC member or no, transmission is transmission and it should be respected.
:good:

Concerning "giving lung", man it honestly made me quite sad. It is a mistake, please try to understand and purify it. It is okay, we all make mistakes, but damn. :cry:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:14 pm
That said, even when Rinpoche was alive a direct answer about what DI authorized vs. what required lungs was not initially easy to find, the DC was not gooñd about clear presentation of things like that, from my point of view. If they had been I think there would be less ambiguity today. I had to spend time on forums to figure out what I could and couldn't practice before just receiving a huge batch of lungs from one of the retreat webcasts. For rules that are supposed be to take so seriously, they were never well presented.
They where and are quite clearly presented to me. And i am in no way Dc inner circle or not so inner circle guy.
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

We both have received DI but only I have received the needed Longsal transmissions. The said person was very much interested in practising on the basis of this Longsal teaching but didn't have any option in DC. That person has practised it and has experienced signs of this teaching "working".

I do not want to disclose my identity for various reasons. Unfortunately I don't have any special positions, titles nor haven't been a part of any elite inner circle. I wouldn't like to be a "target" for people with more sectarian attitudes - I don't feel ready to handle that. Still I will help - in secrecy - people who know me and trust me.

Why am I saying this? I suppose I'd like to send out a message that I have full faith that Longsal teachings will survive - either with DC as an organisation or without it.

Also I would like to remind everyone in this thread about some things.

In "Do As You Please" Rinpoche wrote:

Now then 2016 letter by Rinpoche IS NO LONGER RELEVANT. Why? Because the circumstances have changed. In 2016 the Rinpoche was physically present. Now he is not. If you still hold on to the list then you should know that this is against his own teachings (hint: "working with circumstances", "evolution").

In "Dzogchen Teachings Tashigar South 26th December 2000 - 1st January 2001" booklet Rinpoche says:
The supreme teachers - like Garab Dorje and Guru Padmasambhava who have achieved the Great Transfer, that is to say who have realised the Body of Light without manifesting death - all carry out different kinds of action, according to the situation and the dimension, and they give teachings to all enlightened beings, including the Dakinis and the ocean of the Rigdzins, this what makes a supreme teacher.
If we consider an average master, a Rigdzin or a master who has true knowledge of Dzogchen, who has obtained full knowledge of Dzogchen Ati and has knowledge of the tantras, of the lungs, of the methods of the Upadesha, and above all knows the condition of his students, or knows how to teach according to the possibilities and the capacities of those students, this is what we mean by an average teacher.
An inferior master is one who has received the transmission and the empowerement of this or that teaching or knowledge, has practised it and has had at least manifestation of the signs; so he has the knowledge of the state of Samantabhadra, that is he has discovered the condition of his own nature and has a total compassion for all sentient beings. So these masters are needed: is possible supreme teachers, otherwise average teachers or at least inferior teachers.

So I leave it up to your pure vision and understanding whether Rinpoche was the first or the second type. Maybe there is nobody in DC on his level. But I'm 100% sure there are people who could be considered at least "inferior master" by Rinpoche's own account. And based on his own words: YOU ARE NEEDED.

Rinpoche didn't give any directions on his deathbed. Why? It's obvious and fairly simple. Doing so would go against everything he taught. He taught us to be "responsible for ourselves" and he talked that when you are standing in line and going to ask the teacher a question but suddenly you have the answer appear in your mindstream you should leave the line - because we should find our Inner Teacher. Rinpoche also only taught the teachings and avoided telling people what to do with their lives. So Rinpoche left what he created and what he transmitted with us. Now we are responsible for ourselves. We should relax and do our best (hint: both "relaxing" and "doing our best" parts are equally important) working with circumstances.
What made you decide that you where qualified to give that particular lung, if you dont mind me asking.

By the way, he disolved a ling, not the community
Tata1

Post by Tata1 »

Norwegian wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 10:58 pm
Atton wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:46 am I gave another student of Chogyal Namkhai Norbu a lung of a Longsal text.
We both have received DI but only I have received the needed Longsal transmissions. The said person was very much interested in practising on the basis of this Longsal teaching but didn't have any option in DC.
Then you have done exactly the one thing Rinpoche said students who have received these teachings should never, ever do: Show it or give it to those who haven't received it.
I wouldn't like to be a "target" for people with more sectarian attitudes
You mean like Rinpoche's own attitude?

Rinpoche never said that it was OK to give teachings to others that one are not qualified to give, or to share material governed by samaya with others who haven't received it, etc.

This is not OK, neither in Vajrayana nor in Dzogchen.

Rinpoche has taught so many times, more than I can remember, year in year out for decades, that we must work with the transmission, and we must respect the transmission.
Then how do you expect for the transmission to carry on?

Rimpoche said that we should not make a show of our practice and keep it private. That doesnt mean that his students will never be able to transmit lungs or other kinds of transmissions.

I mean i have no idea who the guy is so i have no opinion on weather this guy has that capacity or not. But eventually his students will have to give transmissions, if not it will end here. ( at least in this realm for now )
Danny

Post by Danny »

Hunters after a hunt.

I’m gonna be honest with you all.

It’s a scam.

You see here’s the thing.

First you have to lay the ground work,
Spend years prepping. Then after you have folks on the hook, that you got the chops to present in a authentic way the teachings....
Then cash in.

If your paying attention, how can you bd fooled by it?
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

Danny wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 am Hunters after a hunt.

It’s a scam.

Spend years prepping. Then after you have folks on the hook, that you got the chops to present in a authentic way the teachings....
Then cash in.

Who in particular are the scammers?
Danny

Post by Danny »

amanitamusc wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:46 am
Danny wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:36 am Hunters after a hunt.

It’s a scam.

Then cash in.

Who in particular are the scammers?
Hmm

Can you see the snakes around your feet?
Or do you think that the internet presents a reality?

I’ve been banned and censored.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Tata1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:07 am

What made you decide that you where qualified to give that particular lung, if you dont mind me asking.
This is the key question, and I would be curious to know the answer.

For instance: was OP able to deliver the lung in the original language it was received, with the associated methods of introduction and any associated empowerments (if contained therein). I know what I would guess, but we don't have the relevant facts.

As we've discussed before, I don't believe that there is no path forward for ChNNr's own termas. But it is important that any subsequent transmission of them is done properly.
Arnoud

Post by Arnoud »

PeterC wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 am
As we've discussed before, I don't believe that there is no path forward for ChNNr's own termas. But it is important that any subsequent transmission of them is done properly.
What does transmitting them properly entail in this context?
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Tata1 wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 1:05 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jan 18, 2021 11:14 pm
That said, even when Rinpoche was alive a direct answer about what DI authorized vs. what required lungs was not initially easy to find, the DC was not gooñd about clear presentation of things like that, from my point of view. If they had been I think there would be less ambiguity today. I had to spend time on forums to figure out what I could and couldn't practice before just receiving a huge batch of lungs from one of the retreat webcasts. For rules that are supposed be to take so seriously, they were never well presented.
They where and are quite clearly presented to me. And i am in no way Dc inner circle or not so inner circle guy.
That was not my experience at all, but I have also never been part of an in person DC group. At any rate, the subject has been done to death in other threads, and I doubt we will change one anothers minds.
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Arnoud wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:30 am
PeterC wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 2:17 am
What does transmitting them properly entail in this context?
Well, others will have more detailed explanations, but just by the normal standards for transmission of lungs:
1/ the person giving it needs to be able to read it in the language it was originally given, and give any associated empowerments and methods of introduction required in order to read it;
2/ the person giving it needs to have received it from a person giving it properly, as defined above.

These will disqualify a lot of people. I suspect that they may disqualify OP here, but I don't know his/her situation. The facts that someone received the lung from Rinpoche and then bought the book from SSI do not, alone, qualify them to give the lung.

The question that people will understandably focus on is whether giving a lung of a Longsal teaching under any circumstances is inconsistent with Rinpoche's intent. This is situation-specific, and would be extremely unusual. I struggle to think of other situations where there is a restriction on someone giving a lung when they have received it. The obvious ones are terma lineages where the terton has been told to keep it to one person only for a certain number of generations. In general if the person who revealed the teaching sets specific restrictions on subsequent transmission, of course those should be respected: but tertons usually want their termas to survive and be practiced by serious practitioners, the termas manifest in the world for a reason. The issue in this debate is disagreements on what Rinpoche's specific intent was, and whether he intended to restrict transmission of his termas beyond what is normal. He clearly intended to keep the Longsal teachings more restricted than the other teachings that he gave. But I don't think anyone is asserting that he ever said, nobody apart from me can ever give reading transmission of these; or, that only persons X and Y can give reading transmission of these. If he ever made specific statements of this kind, those statements would be important, but after considerable discussion on this topic in the DC nobody has come forward with them.

Unless there are further facts around Rinpoche's intent, my interpretation of proper transmission would be what I've described above, given by and to people who intend to uphold Rinpoche's intent that these teachings should generally remain secret.
treehuggingoctopus

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

PeterC wrote: Tue Jan 19, 2021 4:59 amthe person giving it needs to be able to read it in the language it was originally given, and give any associated empowerments and methods of introduction required in order to read it
Very reasonable. And, if I understand it correctly (you seem to be saying that in order to transmit Longsal lungs one needs to be able to give the Longsal wang), it also means that, with literally a handful of exceptions, no one is even potentially able to transmit Longsal.

Is there a terma text of the Longsal wang (there must be)? Has it ever been transmitted (if it has, then it would have been unofficially and off the record, to an individual or a group of individuals)? If one has not received it, is there an uncontroversial way to still be able to give it (I recall Malcolm mentioning an empowerment that could come in handy)? How many people have an access to it?

Then one effectively has to be a lama, pretty much.

Rinpoche said in the early 90s, when he still saw the SMS training as a course for future teachers, that those of his students who get to the fifth level should be qualified to give wangs -- but later added that to be really able to do so one has to complete creation and completion stages properly, in a traditional fashion, in retreat (and concluded that the SMS course is not meant to make teachers. No one has ever to got the fifth level teachings, anyway).
To offer care and affection to sentient beings
In desperate situations who lack protection
Brings just as much merit as the meditation
On emptiness with compassion as its core—
So it has been said by glorious Lord Atisha.

Chatral Sangye Dorje Rinpoche

If you cannot generate an altruistic mind, even extensive retreat will be of not much benefit.
Garchen Triptrul Rinpoche

Return to “Dzogchen”