How do Yogis survive?

RiceCake

How do Yogis survive?

Post by RiceCake »

this might be a completely ignorant question but im gonna ask it anyway.

im curious about the ways that solitary yogis have survived in the outdoors. im not looking for any specific type of answer that satisfies a particular bias or anything,
because im definitely willing to believe it could be a mix of mundane/supermundane means, or either/or. i dont know.

im simply asking because i, specifically, havent been able to find much about the yogis lifestyle (which makes sense since alot of them are solitary), but alot of the people on this forum have SO much knowledge on things i didnt think were possible to know about, so im just gonna give it a shot with this question to learn as much as i can.

and yes, im also partly asking because im curious of pursuing that kind of life. im aware its probably hard & non-glamorous, but if its truly for the purpose of awakening, then its worth it imo.
heart

Re: How do Yogis survive?

Post by heart »

RiceCake wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:13 pm this might be a completely ignorant question but im gonna ask it anyway.

im curious about the ways that solitary yogis have survived in the outdoors. im not looking for any specific type of answer that satisfies a particular bias or anything,
because im definitely willing to believe it could be a mix of mundane/supermundane means, or either/or. i dont know.

im simply asking because i, specifically, havent been able to find much about the yogis lifestyle (which makes sense since alot of them are solitary), but alot of the people on this forum have SO much knowledge on things i didnt think were possible to know about, so im just gonna give it a shot with this question to learn as much as i can.

and yes, im also partly asking because im curious of pursuing that kind of life. im aware its probably hard & non-glamorous, but if its truly for the purpose of awakening, then its worth it imo.
They are supported by people that have confidence in them. Read "Cave in the snow"

https://tricycle.org/magazine/cave-snow/

I know an other western yogi that is rich so he didn't need anyone to support him.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

By donations, either from jin-dag/patrons or by begging.

Yeshe Dorje is a Nyingma yogi living in Crestone, CO. His cabin an hour up the side of a mountain is lent to him by the rich patroness that owns hundreds of acres there. His food and clothes come from a very meager stipend from his family and a number of patrons who he visits once a year. He's been doing this literally for decades. The fact that he is the disciple of Kyabje Jadral Sangay Dorje Rinpoche, a very famous Nyingma Guru, has helped him in developing patrons who have faith in his practice. I rejoice in his renunciation and perseverance.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
heart

Post by heart »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 pm By donations, either from jin-dag/patrons or by begging.

Yeshe Dorje is a Nyingma yogi living in Crestone, CO. His cabin an hour up the side of a mountain is lent to him by the rich patroness that owns hundreds of acres there. His food and clothes come from a very meager stipend from his family and a number of patrons who he visits once a year. He's been doing this literally for decades. The fact that he is the disciple of Kyabje Jadral Sangay Dorje Rinpoche, a very famous Nyingma Guru, has helped him in developing patrons who have faith in his practice. I rejoice in his renunciation and perseverance.
Yes, I also rejoice in his accomplishment. He told me he did 3 3-year retreats, 2 in Nepal under really difficult conditions and once in his retreat in Crestone.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 pm By donations, either from jin-dag/patrons or by begging.

His story about the tiger is possibly my favorite Chatral R. story, and there are many great stories about that man
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

PeterC wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:53 am

His story about the tiger is possibly my favorite Chatral R. story, and there are many great stories about that man
Please, do tell.
yagmort

Post by yagmort »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:46 pm Yeshe Dorje is a Nyingma yogi living in Crestone, CO...
Pema Chopel, how old is this guy? when did he become Chadral Rinpoche disciple?
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Charlie123 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:57 am

Please, do tell.
It’s on this site somewhere. He used to show up here occasionally. Worth looking for
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

PeterC wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:46 am

Please, do tell.
It’s on this site somewhere. He used to show up here occasionally. Worth looking for
Well, a search of the site does not turn up any stories about Chatral Rinpoche and tigers. I did, however, find an interesting story told by pemachophel about Lama Dawa and a tiger.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Charlie123 wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 3:23 am
PeterC wrote: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:46 am

Please, do tell.
Well, a search of the site does not turn up any stories about Chatral Rinpoche and tigers. I did, however, find an interesting story told by pemachophel about Lama Dawa and a tiger.
The search function here isn’t always the easiest to use. But like the truth, he is out there.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Yeshe Dorje is approximately my own age. So 73, 74. I'm pretty sure he's not older than me. Maybe he's as young as 72. I seem to remember that he and my wife are the same age. I think he became Kyabje Jadral Rinpoche's student in 1971-2. Pretty early on.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Sennin

Post by Sennin »

RiceCake wrote: Fri Aug 07, 2020 5:13 pm this might be a completely ignorant question but im gonna ask it anyway.

Yogis travel by way of the four contemplations and nourish themselves with uncommon methods.
Observe the difference between the Lord of All Victors, Padmasambhava, and the mahasiddhas of India and Tibet.
Danny

Post by Danny »

That, and picnic baskets.
fckw

Post by fckw »

It's rather simple: In the himalayas, yogis were simply often supported by local monasteries (who sent them picnic baskets), which in turn were supported by local communities (who sent them the ingredients for picnic baskets).
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

i find sponsoring yogins is of the most virtuous one can do as lay buddhist.

may i in this life and/or in the next become sponsor of as many yogins i can and promote as many dharma activity as possible.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Danny wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:34 am That, and picnic baskets.
:rolling:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Some are capable of quite super human feats such as chülen and tummo. Also the fact that they usually do not eat as much as most of us do since their lives are way less chaotic. But usually donations.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

Formerly known as Miroku.
LhakpaT

Post by LhakpaT »

Danny wrote: Sun Aug 09, 2020 11:34 am That, and picnic baskets.
More enlightened than your average gomchen

Return to “Dzogchen”