Specific Empowerments

swordfishontour

Specific Empowerments

Post by swordfishontour »

Hello friends,

Please excuse these questions as they are very basic...

Without giving a big bio...it has been about 15 years since I last received empowerment.

In order to support my solo practice I would like to receive the Padmasambhava empowerment and Dudjom Lingpa.

(if one has received Dorje Drolo empowerment can one then also practice Padmasmabhava practice?)

I am now based in Chicago with no idea where or how to request or receive empowerments with no formal connection to a sangha or teacher.

As always, any guidance much appreciated.

Thank you
Soma999

Re: Specific Empowerments

Post by Soma999 »

There are Many empowerments offered, do an internet search. That’s how i did. You don’t have to be part of a specific sangha.You can even have some teachings / Empowerment online.

Padmasambhava is a form is the Guru which is the essence of the three roots. If you really connect to Padmasambhava, you connect to the essence of all mandalas.

That being said it is an opinion.

By the way i never waited for an empowerment to practice Padmasambhava, and when the opportunity came i took some empowerments.
Crazywisdom

Post by Crazywisdom »

swordfishontour wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm Hello friends,

Without giving a big bio...it has been about 15 years since I last received empowerment.

In order to support my solo practice I would like to receive the Padmasambhava empowerment and Dudjom Lingpa.

(if one has received Dorje Drolo empowerment can one then also practice Padmasmabhava practice?)

I am now based in Chicago with no idea where or how to request or receive empowerments with no formal connection to a sangha or teacher.

Thank you
Dorje Drollo is Padmasambhava. There is no difference. In the nyingma school one usually needs a lineage for a terma, which this would be. Drollo is considered a very advanced and secret Padmasambhava practice. So if you have that tramsmission you are lucky and authorized to practice Guru Padmasambhava in yhe form of Guru Dorje Drollo.
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

swordfishontour wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm

Different lamas will have different answers to this question. Generally, rather than hunting for a particular empowerment, it is much more important to find a qualified lama who you have faith in.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Thank you
Almost any Nyingma lama would be able to give some kind of Guru Rinpoche empowerment.

A smaller group would be willing to give a Dorje Drolo empowerment and they would be more circumspect about who they gave it to

The more significant question would seem to be the choice of lama. If a lama turned up in my town tomorrow offering my complete wish list of lungs and empowerments that I haven't yet received, but I had less than complete confidence in him, I would not go. (Well, I might sneak in to receive a couple of the lungs. But definitely no more than that...)
Grigoris
Former staff member

Post by Grigoris »

swordfishontour wrote: Tue May 12, 2020 9:49 pm(if one has received Dorje Drolo empowerment can one then also practice Padmasmabhava practice?)
Dorje Drollo IS Guru Padmasambhava.

If you practice Dorje Drollo you are doing a Guru Rinpoche practice.

Be thankful you have the specific empowerment and are able to practice it. It is perfect for this Degenerate Age.
"My religion is not deceiving myself."
Jetsun Milarepa 1052-1135 CE

"Butchers, prostitutes, those guilty of the five most heinous crimes, outcasts, the underprivileged: all are utterly the substance of existence and nothing other than total bliss."
The Supreme Source - The Kunjed Gyalpo
The Fundamental Tantra of Dzogchen Semde
swordfishontour

thank you for your kind and thoughtful replies.
javier.espinoza.t

Post by javier.espinoza.t »

swordfishontour wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 pm thank you for your kind and thoughtful replies.
who gave you the DD empowerment is still alive?
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Padmasambhava is the Guru, and his manifestations are aspect of the Guru.

Guru means the principle which removes darkness. It is internal.

Padmasambhava is inside. It’s a principle in you. The outur guru reflects your inner guru.

With wrathful deities, it is important to understand symbolism.

Deity manifests forms. They can be sensual, and they transform desire. They can be peaceful and transform ignorance. They can be wrathful and have a connection with transformation of anger.

Wrathful deity are never angry. They show the form of anger. But they are peaceful and compasionnate. I saw an interesting advise years ago « if you believe wrathful deities are angry, it can provokes problems, conflicts and so on. They are never angry. They show the form of anger ».

Deities sometime take on the symbolism and form of what they transform, subjugate.

For exemple, Yamantaka take the form of Yama and control him.

Simhamukha hold symbolism of sorcery and control sorcery.

Dorje Drollo show the form of anger and a kind of craziness.

He subjugate crazyness which is believing in duality to open the space to liberty outside of rigid identification to a polarity. inside he brings peace.

He subjugate anger and violence which is the shadow of this dualistic craziness. As such he brings peace outside.

By stepping outside of rigid identification, he shows a liberty which is all but craziness, and a transformative danse inside the fire of energy which is all but anger.

Fundamentalism and sectarism dissolve, and in this immense boundless space, you meet the face of your true nature. He emerges in the dissolution of all war, which is dualism.

Padma is Drollo. Drollo is Padma. Don’t create duality.

Just my opinion, in case it helps you...
swordfishontour

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 5:30 pm
swordfishontour wrote: Thu May 14, 2020 2:25 pm thank you for your kind and thoughtful replies.
who gave you the DD empowerment is still alive?
Yes. But it was 15 years. I had a personal relationship but moved to the other side of the world and decided that the overall form display of the Sangha was not how I wanted to practice. We still corresponded after I left, 100% amicable.

I did the classic renunciation for many years, then found a teacher, then had a family (maybe not so classic).
Sennin

Post by Sennin »

Thank you
Try and at least receive the lung for the practice you are seeking. Guru Padmasambhava has infinite manifestations, so if you're inclined more towards practicing a specific manifestation, go for it!
Observe the difference between the Lord of All Victors, Padmasambhava, and the mahasiddhas of India and Tibet.

Return to “Dzogchen”