Seriously approaching Semde on ones own

Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Seriously approaching Semde on ones own

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

So I've decided to seriously apply myself to deepening my practice contemplation following the instructions of books like Shamatha and Vipaysana in the the Dzogchen teaching and An Introduction to The Practice of Contemplation, as well as ChNN's other various instructions on related subjects.

I am starting from the beginning by done Shine with the White Ah, moving on to object-less meditation etc. I've done all these practices before but never really approached them with a systematic or dedicated mindset.

I know this is best done on retreat, but that is not a possibility for me.

I am trying to construct an effective daily practice schedule focused on these practices for at least a few months, any suggestions?
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
schubertian

Re: Seriously approaching Semde on ones own

Post by schubertian »

Don't overlook:

http://shangshung.org/store/index.php?m ... cts_id=285

and also

'The Nature of Mind, the dzogchen instructions of Aro Yeshe Jungne" by Paltrul R, with commentary by the two khenpos

Paltrul's commentary seems to be focused on Sogdogpa's commentary, and neither is at all related to the Aro Lugs Semde text in the Dam-ngag Dzod
But the two books support each other really well
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

and also:

https://www.amazon.com/Beauty-Awakened- ... 098340741X

which is also Nyang Lugs Semde - I think it is a commentary on the original text by Shigpo Dudtsi which Sogdogpa and Paltrul later commented on - but I'm not sure

Maybe someone here knows
dharmafootsteps

Post by dharmafootsteps »

I would suggest seeing if there's a SMS 1+ instructor who's willing to give some advice/answer questions that may come up.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

dharmafootsteps wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 pm I would suggest seeing if there's a SMS 1+ instructor who's willing to give some advice/answer questions that may come up.
I've corresponded with Elias Capriles in the past, I would certainly ask him again if I ran into anything.

Does anyone have a suggested practice schedule, particularly if you've attempted something like this on your own - a long term dedicated daily practice in lieu of being able to do a retreat?

-Khunu Lama
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

I'd be interested in seeing a schedule too
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

From what I have gathered doing short sessions in the morning would be best as the mind apparently is in a good state for that.

Myself I'd suggest doing maybe some short yantra yoga before and also have a regular vajrayana practice to gather merit and purify ones mind. These two are in many ways indespensable for a succesful shine practice. But ofc I aint no teacher. I just think that some practice to accomplishe those two would be a good idea since it helps the mind to be more relaxed and flexible.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 6:07 pm So I've decided to seriously apply myself to deepening my practice contemplation following the instructions of books like Shamatha and Vipaysana in the the Dzogchen teaching and An Introduction to The Practice of Contemplation, as well as ChNN's other various instructions on related subjects.

I am starting from the beginning by done Shine with the White Ah, moving on to object-less meditation etc. I've done all these practices before but never really approached them with a systematic or dedicated mindset.

I know this is best done on retreat, but that is not a possibility for me.

I am trying to construct an effective daily practice schedule focused on these practices for at least a few months, any suggestions?
The 4 contemplations method of Dzogche Semde, specifically the one found in ChNN's Longsal Terma "The Upadesha of Introduction to the State of Ati" (Longsal Vol.2). it is not time consuming and one can repeat it as long/much as one wants.

i received it's lung and instructions when i formally started w/ ChNN, and never asked if DI is sufficient for it, in case you don't have lung nor longsal initiation etc. you can ask a SMS instructor about it.
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Miroku wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 11:00 pm From what I have gathered doing short sessions in the morning would be best as the mind apparently is in a good state for that.

Myself I'd suggest doing maybe some short yantra yoga before and also have a regular vajrayana practice to gather merit and purify ones mind. These two are in many ways indespensable for a succesful shine practice. But ofc I aint no teacher. I just think that some practice to accomplishe those two would be a good idea since it helps the mind to be more relaxed and flexible.
I do my DC stuff daily now, and I do my Sakya stuff multiple times per week, pretty covered there I think.

-Khunu Lama
tobes

Post by tobes »

Get up early. Pre-dawn/dawn. Make this a habit. If you usually drink coffee in the morning, drink it then - give it to the Buddhas.

And: establish good conditions for this with a conducive evening practice. i.e. a purification practice, offering ritual or guru yoga.
Simon E.

Post by Simon E. »

Aye..pre dawn is good. You can always catch up on sleep later if necessary.

It’s just after 6 am here in the U.K. I have just finished my ‘early shift’.. :smile:
“You don’t know it. You just know about it. That is not the same thing.”

Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche to me.
Matt J

Post by Matt J »

I'm not sure if I am recalling correctly, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche in one of his books recommended two hours a day plus 4-6 hours on weekend days for householders. This is not something I typically do personally, but it would essentially be taking practice as a part time job.

So you could get up early as others said and do it first thing. I always try to sit in the morning, the time varies depending on mood and how tired I am. I tend to sit for longer and/or more practice sessions weekend mornings. I also try to do a practice day once a month. Every two or three months I often try to do a weekend retreat, usually with a local group.
"The world is made of stories, not atoms."
--- Muriel Rukeyser
Pero

Post by Pero »

Matt J wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:51 pm I'm not sure if I am recalling correctly, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche in one of his books recommended two hours a day plus 4-6 hours on weekend days for householders. This is not something I typically do personally, but it would essentially be taking practice as a part time job.

So you could get up early as others said and do it first thing. I always try to sit in the morning, the time varies depending on mood and how tired I am. I tend to sit for longer and/or more practice sessions weekend mornings. I also try to do a practice day once a month. Every two or three months I often try to do a weekend retreat, usually with a local group.
At one of the teachings I attended he said that his Asian students practice 6 hours on one day of the week and 45-60 minutes on other days. The context of this was that he was talking about finding time to practice and practicing in a "smart" way.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Pero wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:45 pm
Matt J wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:51 pm I'm not sure if I am recalling correctly, but Tsoknyi Rinpoche in one of his books recommended two hours a day plus 4-6 hours on weekend days for householders. This is not something I typically do personally, but it would essentially be taking practice as a part time job.

At one of the teachings I attended he said that his Asian students practice 6 hours on one day of the week and 45-60 minutes on other days. The context of this was that he was talking about finding time to practice and practicing in a "smart" way.
This has been my basic pattern in the past, though I don't hit 6 hours though, more like 3 or 4 on a weekend day (including group puja), then anywhere from 40 minutes to 90 minutes on weekdays. It's tougher these days though, I have less time.

-Khunu Lama
Josef

Post by Josef »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm
dharmafootsteps wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 8:56 pm I would suggest seeing if there's a SMS 1+ instructor who's willing to give some advice/answer questions that may come up.
I've corresponded with Elias Capriles in the past, I would certainly ask him again if I ran into anything.

Does anyone have a suggested practice schedule, particularly if you've attempted something like this on your own - a long term dedicated daily practice in lieu of being able to do a retreat?
I would recommend working with semdzins in regular sessions throughout the day. Along with regular sessions in the morning and evening.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

That Introduction to the State of Contemplation is, IMHO, the best little manual on meditation I have ever seen. It is detailed but also condensed. It has all sorts of unusual and practical advice. Pairing that with some of the semdzins seems like a great way to go since they aim at the state of Nepa and Gyuwa combined.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

schubertian wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 8:21 pm That Introduction to the State of Contemplation is, IMHO, the best little manual on meditation I have ever seen. It is detailed but also condensed. It has all sorts of unusual and practical advice. Pairing that with some of the semdzins seems like a great way to go since they aim at the state of Nepa and Gyuwa combined.
Yes, it's fantastic. Reading it is what has inspired me to finally get off my butt (well, on my butt actually) and -really- put time into this.

-Khunu Lama
schubertian

Post by schubertian »

I rejoice in your virtuous activity
WesleyP

Post by WesleyP »

By working with my circumstances.
heart

Post by heart »

Josef wrote: Tue Jul 30, 2019 7:58 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Jul 29, 2019 10:10 pm

I would recommend working with semdzins in regular sessions throughout the day. Along with regular sessions in the morning and evening.
Not that it is an bad advice but the semdzins belong to the Mengakde.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Dzogchen”