Regret and Guru Yoga-Chatral R.

passel

Regret and Guru Yoga-Chatral R.

Post by passel »

I visited Nepal and Tibet once. I wound up w 2 Aussies- lay-couple- and 1 Taiwanese- ordained-, Gelug-Nyingma, serious students w some Tibetan language (they called themselves “very boring ones”; it was funny), on a bus @ Pharping. We had a good day touring the temples and talking dharma. It was the first time I'd seen Inji doing full prostrations (I was semi-mortified); but I'd been reading the Digha-Nikaya, so I had plenty to share in retrospect. We talked about the "Weapon wheel" (common to Pali Buddhism and Lojong alike). We had a hired car I think on the way back to KTM and they knew where Chatrul Sangye Dorje's home was. We stopped, they knocked, eventually someone came to the door, called one of them in, they talked for a while, then we all got the boot: "He's in retreat". So I rejoice that my merit was sufficient to get me to the door, but I regret that I hadn't enough to meet the guy in this life. Even at my most cynical, I can't but think that he was a living saint. Lama Kyeno.

PS. Levekunst said that after he died, they opened up his personal/family temple. In addition to what you'd expect, Rama and Sita were painted on one wall, and Krishna and Radha on the other. A Shiva linga with the three horizontal stripes was over the door. Yet he criticized lamas in his own tradition from a conventionally moral standpoint- called them alcoholics and samaya breakers even. Released fish and birds. If we want a model who was not crazy wisdom, but still inscrutable, deep, principled but without being rigidly sectarian, CSDR is hard to beat. I mean, who can but be humbled by a 100 year old Tibetan vegetarian. Thomas Merton would have come back from zen in Kyoto to study dzogchen w CSDR in Kalimpong if he'd had sufficient merit- see his Asian Journals- but he got electrocuted by a fan in Thailand before he could make it. No worries, I'm sure he got a crack at it early on in his subsequent life, and Is now practicing privately but to great effect somewhere on this planet we all share, karmically and literally.

PPS. I did get some QT w Anyen R.- fine Lama, do go see him, go out of your way. He has the goods and was born to teach. But anyway, he and Allison (his wife and translator) stayed w Chatral R. for a while. CSDR must have been in his late 80s by then, but he caught a snake with his hands, and he was so happy with himself that he just danced around for a bit, enjoying life with a snake in his 80 year old hands, life touching life to live, you know.

([just my commentary:] We could all get there in this life-it’s an open secret. Life is the empowerment and the samaya, just keep up a practice. Explicitness never hurts, but it’s not strictly required.)

PPPS. Just because it's a deep cut from a book that almost no one reads- Sangharakshita of FWBO/ bad Buddhists fame was student of Chatral R., also Dudjom, Dilgo, JKCL, at least in the sense of attending public teachings, tho if he even got DI, he didn't know it- definitely not a subitist that guy*- but anyway, he says in one of his autobiographies- prob the 2nd? he had like three 400 pagers- that he asked CSDR a question, probably some obscure, metaphysical bit of whatever, and CSDR- who would have been a young man then, we're talking about the early or at latest mid 60s- just held out a hand full of semi-precious kind of junk stones and offered it to the poor sad, smart, overwhelmed,closeted English deserter kid (Sangharakkhita/Sangharakshita), and he got a little relief, at least for a while.

Lama Kyeno!

PPPPS. At the end of the trip wound up at RY monastery; rest=history.

[sad violin music playing

#atleastwe'renotGurdjieff].

*i do remember in one of his books he (Sangharakshita) talked about an empowerment he got from Dudjom- I don’t know what, and not even sure he said I in the book- he said that, mid-wang, he had the distinct subjective impression of a red laser from DR’s heart/mind to his. God bless a makyo, Namo all the Sacred Nyams, whatever gets you by. Bodhisattvas and allies persevere,
Last edited by passel on Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:47 am, edited 13 times in total.
"I have made a heap of all that I have met"- Svetonious
passel

Re: Regret and Guru Yoga-Chatral R.

Post by passel »

I guess Shrine Room would have been the place to post it, but whatever I’m leavin it.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

passel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:52 am Life is the empowerment and the samaya, just keep up a practice.
Source?
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
passel

Post by passel »

Queequeg wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 8:52 pm
passel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:52 am Life is the empowerment and the samaya, just keep up a practice.
Source?
Jamgon Kongtrul’s Treasury, the volume I think just called Systems of Buddhist Tantra, in the Body chapter. It’s a free reading, not a quote.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

thank you.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Just looked that work up on Amazon. Whoa. Its an encyclopedia.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am Just looked that work up on Amazon. Whoa. Its an encyclopedia.
Yep. You could do a lot worse in life than get hold of the full set and study them. :smile: :tongue: :twothumbsup:
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:11 am
Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:02 am Just looked that work up on Amazon. Whoa. Its an encyclopedia.
Yep. You could do a lot worse in life than get hold of the full set and study them. :smile: :tongue: :twothumbsup:
It would take a life and then some!

Is it a text that requires empowerment?
passel

Post by passel »

Just a credit card
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

passel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:50 pm Just a credit card
:rolling:
Norwegian

Post by Norwegian »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:52 pm
passel wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:50 pm Just a credit card
:rolling:
Well, you should have received the corresponding empowerment, i.e., want to read about the inner workings of Highest Yoga Tantra / Inner Tantra? Then you should have received empowerment corresponding to that.
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

passel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:59 am I guess Shrine Room would have been the place to post it, but whatever I’m leavin it.
Probably one of the best, most sincere postings I've ever seen on DW. Cheers 🍻
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Not to be a stickler, but the Hindu deities were already in the building when he acquired it.

But yes, he did leave them up.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
passel

Post by passel »

TharpaChodron wrote: Tue Oct 09, 2018 2:49 am
passel wrote: Sun Oct 07, 2018 6:59 am I guess Shrine Room would have been the place to post it, but whatever I’m leavin it.
Probably one of the best, most sincere postings I've ever seen on DW. Cheers 🍻
Nice of you to say:)
oldbob

Post by oldbob »

Wonderful picture and cascade of word images. :applause:

Many blessings and devotions. :thanks:

Showing up and practicing.

"red laser from the :heart: "
passel

Post by passel »

oldbob wrote: Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:50 am Wonderful picture and cascade of word images. :applause:

Many blessings and devotions. :thanks:

Showing up and practicing.

"red laser from the :heart: "
thanks, bro
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm

No, except for the final two sections of book 8. The Treasury was intended for students to read as they prepared to go on retreat. Kongtrul does not talk about anything that needs prior empowerment in books 1-7, 9 and 10. Book 8 deals with tantric meditation and inner tantic practice. Kongtrul divided each of the books into 4 parts. The published volumes have book 7 and 8 part 1 & 2 together. Book 8 is titled The Training in Higher Meditative Absorption. Book 8 sections 1 & 2 deal with shamatha and vipashyana and not with tantra. However Book 8 section 3, Elements of Tantric Practice would be regarded as a text that does require empowerment prior to reading it. This is also probably true for book 8 section 4 published as Esoteric Instructions because of the topics involved.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
passel

Post by passel »

Bump. Also, many of these comments simply enervate.
Last edited by passel on Sat Apr 06, 2019 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
passel

Post by passel »

But couldn't you do better!
passel

Post by passel »

kirtu wrote: Fri Nov 02, 2018 8:06 am
Queequeg wrote: Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:07 pm

No, except for the final two sections of book 8. The Treasury was intended for students to read as they prepared to go on retreat. Kongtrul does not talk about anything that needs prior empowerment in books 1-7, 9 and 10. Book 8 deals with tantric meditation and inner tantic practice. Kongtrul divided each of the books into 4 parts. The published volumes have book 7 and 8 part 1 & 2 together. Book 8 is titled The Training in Higher Meditative Absorption. Book 8 sections 1 & 2 deal with shamatha and vipashyana and not with tantra. However Book 8 section 3, Elements of Tantric Practice would be regarded as a text that does require empowerment prior to reading it. This is also probably true for book 8 section 4 published as Esoteric Instructions because of the topics involved.

Kirt
TLDR

Return to “Dzogchen”