enlightment in one life

ilaria

enlightment in one life

Post by ilaria »

how do you think we can reach enlightment in this life?
have you never come very close to the goal?
Tolya M

Re: enlightment in one life

Post by Tolya M »

The task of paramount importance is not to fall into apaya bhumi\ lower realms and not to lose touch with Buddhavacana. :mrgreen:
KristenM

Post by KristenM »

Well, achieving enlightenment in this lifetime is our goal and responsibility. The path is quite clearly explained by our wise teachers and the Buddha. We already contain Buddhanature and it's our work in this life to realize it. It's simple. ;)
Sonam Wangchug

Post by Sonam Wangchug »

Devotion to the Guru.

I am very far from it, but, not giving up.
"To have confidence in the teacher is the ultimate refuge." -Rigzin Jigme Lingpa
anjali
Former staff member

Post by anjali »

ilaria wrote:how do you think we can reach enlightment in this life?
How? As Tulku Urgyen Rinpoche says, "Recognizing our own nature is itself the path of enlightenment."
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Namaste ilaria,
Bankei came to mind. .

The Unborn
Bankei (1622-1693)

Your unborn mind is the Buddha-mind itself, and it is unconcerned with either birth or death. As evidence that it is, when you look at things, you're able to see and distinguish them all at once. And as you are doing that, if a bird sings or a bell tolls, or other noises or sounds occur, you hear and recognize each of them too, even though you haven't given rise to a single thought to do so.

Everything in your life, from morning until night, proceeds in this same way, without your having to depend upon thought or reflection. But most people are unaware of that; they think everything is a result of their deliberation and discrimination. That's a great mistake.

The mind of the Buddhas and the minds of ordinary people are not two different minds. Those who strive earnestly in their practice because they want to attain satori, or to discover their self-mind, are likewise greatly mistaken.

Everyone who recites the Heart Sutra knows that "the mind is unborn and undying." But they haven't sounded the source of the Unborn. They still have the idea that they can find their way to the unborn mind and attain Buddhahood by using reason and discrimination. As soon as the notion to seek Buddhahood or to attain the Way enters your mind, you've gone astray from the Unborn—gone against what is unborn in you.

Anyone who tries to become enlightened thereby falls out of the Buddha-mind and into secondary matters. You are Buddhas to begin with. There's no way for you to become Buddhas now for the first time.

Within this original mind, there isn't even a trace of illusion. Nothing, I can assure you, ever arises from within it. When you clench your fists and run about, for example—that's the Unborn.

If you harbor the least notion to become better than you are or the slightest inclination to seek something, you turn your back on the Unborn. There's neither joy nor anger in the mind you were born with—only the Buddha-mind—with its marvelous illuminative wisdom that enlightens all things. Firmly believing in this and being free of all attachment whatsoever...that is known as the "believing mind."

Translated by Normal Waddell
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Ksangla

Post by Ksangla »

Don't look for enlightenment practice GOOD KARMA :namaste: :buddha1:
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Yes -- very good. . . (and first post, so, Welcome..!)

The classic story from Zen is - the woman looking for her head.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Ksangla

Post by Ksangla »

joy&peace wrote:Yes -- very good. . . (and first post, so, Welcome..!)

The classic story from Zen is - the woman looking for her head.
Thank you :namaste:
ilaria

Post by ilaria »

hello everybody and thanks for your answers!
i am a very practical person, i don't like doctrin...so i was asking you (and myself) HOW we can reach enlightment...
i know the theory ...etc etc but which is the way?
you personally know someone that have reached it?
someone says that the on,y way is tantic secret practice...what domyiu think about it?
sorry for my english, i am italian!
Tolya M

Post by Tolya M »

Without listening and thinking there is no right bhavana.

The Ch'an tradition have very strange writings. It is unclear what the text is about. Sotapanna\pramudita is enlightening too at the end. Perhaps it is about some stages of understanding after which there is already no fall below the men's loka. But this is not an annutara samyak sambodhi. I would not take it seriously given the difficulties of translation and terminology.
florin

Post by florin »

ilaria wrote:how do you think we can reach enlightment in this life?
This life is primordial enlightenment already. It is the manifest empty clear light of primordial enlightenment.
The diverse preliminary methods of dzogchen helps us develop capacity to recognise and understand how this enlightenment is already the case.
To have enlightenment as a goal is a silly thing.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

ilaria wrote: i am a very practical person, i don't like doctrin...so i was asking you (and myself) HOW we can reach enlightment...
Relying on a realized master is in fact the only way to attain awakening in a single lifetime.
Sherab

Post by Sherab »

Malcolm wrote:
ilaria wrote: i am a very practical person, i don't like doctrin...so i was asking you (and myself) HOW we can reach enlightment...
Relying on a realized master is in fact the only way to attain awakening in a single lifetime.
When you rely on a realized master, the probability of your attaining enlightenment goes to 1. The more confidence you have in your master, the faster you get there.

When you rely on your own unenlightened mind, the probability of your attaining enlightenment is practically 0. Why? Because there is only 1 path to enlightenment while the paths to nowhere are infinite.
jet.urgyen

Post by jet.urgyen »

sometimes i think that "ilumination in one life" is pure bullshit,
we hear "this one is emanation of this one, and that one is emanation of that one" ha ha ha ha

so seems to be that enlightening is only for emanations (laughing)

how ever, what is enlightenment? it is a title? a kind of conclution? something that we define as "not definable"??

i can only say that i don't know, and don't care very much
but definitions and enlightenment planning is pure bullshit to me.

:cheers:
true dharma is inexpressible.

The bodhisattva nourishes from bodhicitta, through whatever method the Buddha has given him. Oh joy.
amanitamusc

Post by amanitamusc »

javier.espinoza.t wrote: Wed Sep 27, 2017 7:50 pm sometimes i think that "ilumination in one life" is pure bullshit,
we hear "this one is emanation of this one, and that one is emanation of that one" ha ha ha ha

so seems to be that enlightening is only for emanations (laughing)

how ever, what is enlightenment? it is a title? a kind of conclution? something that we define as "not definable"??

i can only say that i don't know, and don't care very much
but definitions and enlightenment planning is pure bullshit to me.

:cheers:
You might do well to read Malcolm's translation.
http://www.wisdompubs.org/book/buddhahood-life
CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch »

we hear "this one is emanation of this one, and that one is emanation of that one"

This is completely at odds with the Dzogchen teachings, and flies in the face of the kindness of those few teachers who have the ability and inclination to introduce Vidya directly.

If you've had the unimaginable fortune to have met a realized teacher, have real devotion, practice & keep samaya, you should expect to be realized in this life. The bardo, until you reach the stage right prior to rebirth in a new body, is still this one life, or at least strongly connected to this life, no?

Although I understand it in a very personal way, I feel a bit sad when I see Dzogchen practitioners who constantly take the "I'm a jerk in Samsara" as JV puts it, attitude. It's a deviation and better left to religions and views that thrive on fear and self-loathing.
“I say good-bye to hope, but I also say goodbye to hope's disappointment.”

David Levithan
CapNCrunch

Post by CapNCrunch »

+1 !!!
“I say good-bye to hope, but I also say goodbye to hope's disappointment.”

David Levithan
Anonymous X

Post by Anonymous X »

CapNCrunch wrote: Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:28 am
+1 !!!
The Buddha recommended relinquishing all cravings, desire, becoming, attachment, to what we call 'our experience'. This also means relinquishing the desire for enlightenment and the belief in any satisfaction in things. Are you up for that?
Kunzang Tobgyal

Post by Kunzang Tobgyal »

:good:
CapNCrunch wrote: Tue Oct 24, 2017 9:11 pm
we hear "this one is emanation of this one, and that one is emanation of that one"

This is completely at odds with the Dzogchen teachings, and flies in the face of the kindness of those few teachers who have the ability and inclination to introduce Vidya directly.

If you've had the unimaginable fortune to have met a realized teacher, have real devotion, practice & keep samaya, you should expect to be realized in this life. The bardo, until you reach the stage right prior to rebirth in a new body, is still this one life, or at least strongly connected to this life, no?

Although I understand it in a very personal way, I feel a bit sad when I see Dzogchen practitioners who constantly take the "I'm a jerk in Samsara" as JV puts it, attitude. It's a deviation and better left to religions and views that thrive on fear and self-loathing.

Return to “Dzogchen”