DC Ödzer Chenma practice

makewhisper

DC Ödzer Chenma practice

Post by makewhisper »

Hi all,

Lately, I have been feeling drawn to the practice of Ödzer Chenma. I'm not sure why she appeals to me, but I don't suppose it matters. I have never engaged in a tantric sadhana, so not really sure what to expect if I order the practice booklet.

I was wondering if anyone in the DC could tell me about the practice (in PM if necessary). One concern I have is that I have yet to discover the state of GY. My main practice is the sems sde contemplations. Is there any point in doing her sadhana if one has not yet discovered the state of Dzogchen? Is her practice a way of approaching that state?

On an unrelated note, if anyone has any advice on the practice of kumbhaka/jamlung, please PM me. I'm currently doing Fabio Andrico's kumbhaka DVD.

Thanks!

Eric
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

"Whilst lacking pure renunciation there is no way to pacify
The continual thirst for pleasure in the ocean of saṃsāra,
And since all living beings are bound by their craving for existence,
You must begin by finding the determination to be free."

[from Je Tsongkhapa's Three Principal Aspects of the Path]
makewhisper

Re: DC Ödzer Chenma practice

Post by makewhisper »

I'm also hoping someone can explain to me her importance in the Dzogchen teachings. I gather she is mentioned in the sgra thal gyur. Does anyone have a quote from that text to share?
ༀ་ཨཱཿ་ཧཱུྃ
Oṃ Āḥ Hūṃ
Om Ah Hung

"Whilst lacking pure renunciation there is no way to pacify
The continual thirst for pleasure in the ocean of saṃsāra,
And since all living beings are bound by their craving for existence,
You must begin by finding the determination to be free."

[from Je Tsongkhapa's Three Principal Aspects of the Path]
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

makewhisper wrote: Is there any point in doing her sadhana if one has not yet discovered the state of Dzogchen?

Eric
Of course. This practice is a protective practice in general and is especially good for protection while travelling. It is an enriching practice, so it can increase all positive things into your life, and also dispels all negativities. When we enrich our condition we have better circumstances which can help in our daily lives.

For discovering your own state, in the DC we generally sing the Song of the Vajra. That song, along with GY which we do at the beginning, is the most important of all practices of any class of teachings. That is why Rinpoche tacks it on to every single practice. But we do it as circumstances allow. So you can do it along with Ozer Chenma if you can, but you don't have to. We at least do it sometimes. Particularly good times are new and full moons and eclipses. If a practitioner who has received transmission sings that song, they can go beyond all limitations, just like Rinpoche instructs. Dzogchen teaching is about the individual. You should know yourself and work with circumstances. You should listen to the way Rinpoche explains it.

Techir dorjei lu nyid lang

ha ha ha

Kevin
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

There is Sutra of Odzer Chienma (Marici) which you can easily practice without any permissions.
There are also Kriya Tantra empowerments for Marici.
Personally never heard of higher yoga tantra practices but probably there are some.
Not sure how NNR practice is categorized.
Josef

Post by Josef »

Karinos wrote:There is Sutra of Odzer Chienma (Marici) which you can easily practice without any permissions.
Personally never heard of higher yoga tantra practices but probably there are some.
It's an Anuyoga practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Karinos wrote:There is Sutra of Odzer Chienma (Marici) which you can easily practice without any permissions.
There is also a rdzog chen man ngag sde tantra of Marici.
Karinos

Post by Karinos »

awesome, thank you :anjali:

Return to “Dzogchen”