Trauma

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
avatamsaka3

Trauma

Post by avatamsaka3 »

What are the basic principles of trauma-informed mindfulness?

I'm aware there are plenty of books and talks out there on this topic. I'm asking about your experience as practitioners.
tingdzin

Re: Trauma

Post by tingdzin »

Do you mean the practice of mindfulness after a traumatic episode, or the practice of maintaining mindfulness in situations which are potentially traumatic? Not sure of your intent.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

the practice of mindfulness after a traumatic episode
This one.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I heard of mindfulness being a first step in different therapies.
Trauma is really a thing for being guided by a good therapist. In general, trauma therapy made very good progress the last decade and e. g. PTSD can be healed completely by a quite new method (EMDR).

(My studies circle around the topic trauma therapy right now.)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ime trauma treatment usually starts with either fairly measured talk therapy, exposure therapy, or some combination.

There is a lot room for ‘mindfulness’ in terms of things like exposure therapy simply because some level of it is needed to maintain bodily calm while re-processing a trauma, EMDR comes to mind.

It’s kind of what you expect in any of the circumstances though, being able to simply let feelings and experiences be without attachment or aversion, and without turning away from them or repressing them -I.e. ignorance.

You can take a look at James Gordon, teaches a super basic mindfulness of breath practice and some shaking/dancing practices for trauma.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

Thanks for your replies. This book seems like a good resource for all those who are interested in the topic:

https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393709780
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:41 pm Thanks for your replies. This book seems like a good resource for all those who are interested in the topic:

https://wwnorton.com/books/9780393709780
Sounds not too bad.

The difficult process in trauma therapy is to get scaring memories away from a certain brain areal of panic and bring it to another brain areal that is storing normal memories.
Because the traumatizing experiences are so unbearable, the mind tends to split them and lock them into restricted areas. From there they can cause constant pain and wrong decisions.

The healing process includes several layers from 1 (unconscious wordless stress expressed in physical pain) to 6 (it is possible to look at the trauma and evolve a stable story about what happened).
If this process could work successfully, the person is able to look at the past without getting overwhelmed.

Because this is not so easy, I believe no human being should try this with a book alone. Skills like empathy and reflecting to eachother are needed in order to manage this process. A skilled second person, a witness and companion is needed, I believe.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:55 pm the practice of mindfulness after a traumatic episode

This one.
One very useful technique that does not require training is to be mindful of how of only your mind but also your body reacts to stimuli that recalls the trauma. A couple of Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche's books outline a very simple but very useful technique that one can apply in all circumstances . I have found it extremely valuable and productive. The technique involves three "pills" for body, speech and mind, and I think the book that outlines these most cleanly and practically is "awakening the Luminous Mind", but others who have the books at hand might be able to confirm or correct this.

This might be related to what JD refers to as exposure therapy, but I'm not sure of current Western terminology.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

The healing process includes several layers from 1 (unconscious wordless stress expressed in physical pain) to 6 (it is possible to look at the trauma and evolve a stable story about what happened). If this process could work successfully, the person is able to look at the past without getting overwhelmed.
This is key, yes.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

On the other hand, being able to develop a "stable story" about the trauma-causing incident alone will assuredly not prevent surges of chaotic energy when triggered. This would seem to require working at deeper levels than the conceptual-ideational. However, since I am not a professional therapist, and this aspect may be in icluded in "levels" 2 through 5, I will say no more.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:55 pm
the practice of mindfulness after a traumatic episode
This one.
One use: Replacing high cost coping mechanisms.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Dream_on

Post by Dream_on »

Healing is done in and outside of the meditation sessions.

What do you mean by trauma?

Pysical or mental?

I have suffered a psycosis. So its a mental problem.

If you stop cling to concepts, you get better.

If its a broken leg or something, cancer, blod pressure, heart disorder, or..

You may meditate in a proper way.

It culd help to focus the meditation on one or so, practice.

You shuld not stop with shool medicin, if you start to practice meditation.

Try to combine it.
Last edited by Dream_on on Sat Dec 11, 2021 3:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

On the other hand, being able to develop a "stable story" about the trauma-causing incident alone will assuredly not prevent surges of chaotic energy when triggered. This would seem to require working at deeper levels than the conceptual-ideational. However, since I am not a professional therapist, and this aspect may be in included in "levels" 2 through 5, I will say no more.
Yes, just working with concepts won't be enough.
Here, we are speaking about psychological trauma after overwhelming incidents.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

tingdzin wrote: Fri Dec 10, 2021 10:14 pm On the other hand, being able to develop a "stable story" about the trauma-causing incident alone will assuredly not prevent surges of chaotic energy when triggered. This would seem to require working at deeper levels than the conceptual-ideational. However, since I am not a professional therapist, and this aspect may be in icluded in "levels" 2 through 5, I will say no more.
Your assumption is right. Steps 2 to 5 are quite profound and detailed. I can't squeeze it in a short post in English. I have to admit I cannot even translate the title of that article. I just read it recently in a German paper. The author's name is Rosemarie Barwinski and she wrote about it in books from 2016 and 2020.
muni

Post by muni »

avatamsaka3 wrote: Sat Dec 11, 2021 6:50 pm
On the other hand, being able to develop a "stable story" about the trauma-causing incident alone will assuredly not prevent surges of chaotic energy when triggered. This would seem to require working at deeper levels than the conceptual-ideational. However, since I am not a professional therapist, and this aspect may be in included in "levels" 2 through 5, I will say no more.
Yes, just working with concepts won't be enough.
Here, we are speaking about psychological trauma after overwhelming incidents.
Concepts about will only keep us in the thinking mind. And talking about feels to help at the moment since we are supported but this takes it not away when we are again confronted. Reading about can have the same effects, comforting at the moment but is not enough.
When overwhelming feelings come up, it is like we get a tsunami over us and we are totally locked in that. We can freeze or go in kind of shock as well. Being aware of the feeling while not wanting it goes away, neither trying to neglect it but face it ( like watching by taking a distance of it) without comments. Because commenting thoughts cannot help us and could only help in a way to agree with what we feel, our panic.

I do not say I master this, only one thing: concepts by thinking are indeed no help like you all said. This is a good reminder.
Meditation guidance helps.

Its like our mind is a worlds on itself, what there happens is just amazing. Do a trip there to clean the area is not always a pleasure, it could be as well scaring, or just be avoided and therefore keep seeking the causes 'outside'.

May we all be free from the torments of mind.
Last edited by muni on Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
muni

Post by muni »

I like to add this youtube:
When the youtube seems to stop, it doesn't, it continues a while.
“We are each living in our own soap opera. We do not see things as they really are. We see only our interpretations. This is because our minds are always so busy...But when the mind calms down, it becomes clear. This mental clarity enables us to see things as they really are, instead of projecting our commentary on everything.” Jetsunma Tenzin Palmo.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bg9jOYnEUA
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

muni wrote: Sun Dec 12, 2021 9:13 am I like to add this youtube:
.../www.youtube.com/watch?v=kShIAVw04jE
Thank you so much, muni. This is wonderful. There are many different approaches to healing and it's so interesting to hear from this perspective as well. :namaste:
avatamsaka3

Post by avatamsaka3 »

This is a good resource, thanks.
Anders

Post by Anders »

Similar to trauma therapy, I would suggest to have some awareness of pendulation.

In some arenas, going deeply or all the way through can work. With trauma, you are more likely to re-traumatize yourself when doing so. It requires a very open and resilient system to be able to do that. Hence, any sort of exposure therapy etc should be very delicate work and not performed without having a clear out or a reliable safespace to pendulate towards.

I really do believe therapy is advisable, at least as an adjunct. Not just because the relational aspect of it can be a strong support, but because the process requires quite a bit of skill, subtlety and broad attention to learn how to navigate. And those aren't qualities easy to come in the midst of trauma.
"Even if my body should be burnt to death in the fires of hell
I would endure it for myriad lifetimes
As your companion in practice"

--- Gandavyuha Sutra

Return to “Meditation”