Guided vs not-guided, for a beginner

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
dwdanby

Guided vs not-guided, for a beginner

Post by dwdanby »

I'm brand new to Buddhism and to meditation. I struggle enormously in general with bad memories and anger about them. (I have a good counselor.) I would like to ask opinions on guided vs non-guided (is that the correct term?) for a beginner. If I listen to a guided meditation, I think about what the teacher is saying, and that mostly keeps thoughts and anger at bay. However, if I need to learn to just be in the moment, and practice observing thoughts and letting them go, it seems as if I'm not learning that in a guided meditation. So - may I ask for folks' opinions and experiences? :meditate: :thanks: :namaste:
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Guided vs not-guided, for a beginner

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

There are all types of guided meditations with varying relativity to Buddhist shamatha (mind-stillness) meditation, which is generally done without anybody talking to you. Of course, when first learning, there will be verbal instruction but I wouldn’t call it ‘guided’ as the term is used nowadays. So, I just wanted to make that distinction.

Aside from that, yeah, you are correct. You aren’t really going to get ‘angry thoughts arise and you just give them some space and then return to watching your breath’ with guided meditation. The ‘guide’ whether it’s your counselor or a YouTube video or whatever, isn’t experiencing your mind activity to know what thoughts or memories are replaying themselves. Only you are able do that.

I think if you have time for both, then both are okay. But don’t mix them up or try to combine them.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Meditation”