Concern about practicing mindfulness

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
ShantiM

Concern about practicing mindfulness

Post by ShantiM »

I’d like to practice mindfulness meditation, but I’m corned about the possible consequences as stated in the Shurangama Sutra. I’d like opinion from the experienced meditators on this. Thanks!

http://www.cttbusa.org/shurangama/shurangama23.asp

Even though one may have some wisdom and the manifestation of Chan samadhi, one is certain to enter demonic paths if one does not cut off lust. At best, one will be a demon king; on the average, one will be in the retinue of demons; at the lowest level, one will be a female demon

Even though one may have some wisdom and the manifestation of Chan samadhi, one is certain to enter the path of spirits if one does not cease killing. At best, a person will become a mighty ghost; on the average, one will become a flying yaksha, a ghost leader, or the like; at the lowest level, one will become an earth-bound rakshasa.

Even though one may have some wisdom and the manifestation of Chan samadhi, one is certain to enter a devious path if one does not cease stealing. At best, one will be an apparition; on the average, one will become a phantom; at the lowest level, one will be a devious person who is possessed by a mei ghost.
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Concern about practicing mindfulness

Post by Hazel »

I'm guessing Lust here refers to Sexual Misconduct given the context.

What is your concern exactly? Is it that if you kill/lie/etc. still you'll have the described rebirths? Someone else please correct me if I'm wrong, but you're creating the cause for those rebirths even without meditating if you do those actions. Better stop!

It's a pretty good worry to have, honestly, as the "mindfulness movement"/fad often leaves out ethical conduct.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

The word "mindfulness" is tossed around so frequently and in so many ways by so many people it is on the verge of becoming meaningless.

I'm a Buddhist, so from my perspective it's best to choose and follow a traditional Buddhist path, preferably under a Buddhist teacher. I would avoid "mindfulness stripped of Buddhism." But that's just me.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

ShantiM wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 3:24 pm I’d like to practice mindfulness meditation, but I’m corned about the possible consequences as stated in the Shurangama Sutra. I’d like opinion from the experienced meditators on this. Thanks!

http://www.cttbusa.org/shurangama/shurangama23.asp

Even though one may have some wisdom and the manifestation of Chan samadhi, one is certain to enter demonic paths if one does not cut off lust. At best, one will be a demon king; on the average, one will be in the retinue of demons; at the lowest level, one will be a female demon

Even though one may have some wisdom and the manifestation of Chan samadhi, one is certain to enter the path of spirits if one does not cease killing. At best, a person will become a mighty ghost; on the average, one will become a flying yaksha, a ghost leader, or the like; at the lowest level, one will become an earth-bound rakshasa.

Even though one may have some wisdom and the manifestation of Chan samadhi, one is certain to enter a devious path if one does not cease stealing. At best, one will be an apparition; on the average, one will become a phantom; at the lowest level, one will be a devious person who is possessed by a mei ghost.
The passages in the Surangama Sutra are not referring to mindfulness meditation.
At the same time, the things mentioned are all basically types of distraction which when practiced create obstacles and unfortunate circumstances in the long run. That’s the point. While nobody is perfect, there are always choices to be made. You can indulge in, let’s call it “lustful pursuits” of one kind of another all night long and the next day do hours of sitting meditation...for now. But at some point the two will be incompatible. Then you will need to decide firmly, as the outcome will be very serious. That’s what this sutra is getting at.

Meanwhile, night burglars probably practice mindfulness with excruciating precision. It doesn’t bring them any closer to realization.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.

Return to “Meditation”