Looking for experienced meditators of Loving Kindness Meditation (LKM)

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Ryaldin

Looking for experienced meditators of Loving Kindness Meditation (LKM)

Post by Ryaldin »

Hi Community,

for my Bachelor Project in Computer Science I am developing a Virtual Environment that aims to help newer meditators with loving kindness meditation, giving both visual and audio cues (guided meditation track), to help them get the gist of Loving Kindness Meditation.

For this I am first required to investigate what experienced meditators visualize, (surroundings, people,etc), and how they proceed while meditating.
Please tell me how your LKM meditation practice looks like, what you are visualizing and how specific it is, and what you would expect from a VR system that shows you Loving Kindness Meditation (eg. flow of the meditation in the VR setting and the visuals displayed)

thank you very much for your inputs :?:
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: Looking for experienced meditators of Loving Kindness Meditation (LKM)

Post by Queequeg »

Get into a comfortable posture, take some time to calm the body and mind.

Reflect on someone you feel a healthy affection for - someone you love, who you want to be happy. Reflect on the sense of warmth, openness, kindness and compassion you feel for them. Consider how it makes you feel to see them unhappy and how it makes you feel to see them happy. Then, taking that, extend that feeling into the 10 directions (8 directions, Up and Down), going one sector at a time, imagine all the beings you love in those directions and reflect on the same feelings for them, filling all the directions with that love.

Then, think of the beings in those directions who you feel neutral toward and generate the same feelings of kindness and compassion for them.

Then think of all the beings in those directions who you feel aversion for, and who feel aversion for you and generate the same feelings of kindness and compassion for them.

You can find these basic instructions pretty easily, and probably written better than that.

What kind of feed back are you looking for? Its hard to generate compassion for Donald Trump. Not hard to feel it for my family and friends.

My VR headset is built in, though. Don't think I'd need your invention. But if you could invent something like that which would help people, that would be great.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,

Return to “Meditation”