Thinking

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Thinking

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

avisitor wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:20 pmHowever, if you wish to teach then I am willing to learn.
Buddhist teachings are that our experience of consciousness (not to be confused with the nature of consciousness itself) in other words, what we experience through our senses, that experience arises where awareness and objects of awareness meet.

For example, some wood has been cut into shapes and fastened together by a furniture maker. You see that construction through the sense organs and visual awareness, and identify it as a chair. That is your experience: “I see a chair”. But the object has no essential “chair-ness” to it. In that regard, “chair” is a projection of your own mind. Further, you might perceive it as a comfy chair, an uncomfortable chair, whatever. If the furniture maker manufactured Chinese Buddhist shrine cabinets and you had never seen one, you might recognize it as some type of furniture, but that would be the extent of it.

The same thing pertains to the body. It is also a projection of your own thoughts and interpretations. Buddhism would refer to that as illusion. Because of our human condition, it is easy to see some aspects of this illusion are just that. For example, I might think I am ugly. But someone else might think I am handsome. People with anorexia perceive themselves as overweight even when they look like walking skeletons.

On the other hand, some aspects of this illusion are practically unavoidable: if You punch me in the stomach, I will feel pain. But a shaolin trained monk might not feel pain. If you stab me in the heart, I will bleed and my body will “die” meaning that the physical properties will no longer replicate themselves.

But the very most subtle level of awareness, which has associated itself with this body, continues to ‘replicate’ itself, meaning that each moment of awareness gives rise to another moment of awareness. It isn’t a solid “thing” but rather a continuous process, like a fire burning, or a breeze blowing, or water flowing.

The mind has no identifying characteristics on its own. It’s like a mirror in that way. You can only see what is reflected in it. But awareness, or mind, has certain qualities. It is limitless, just as a mirror can reflect anything, even the sun 93,000,000 miles away. Mind is also ‘luminous’ meaning it perceives. ‘luminous’ refers to how a bright light or lamp brought into a dark room immediately illuminates everything in that room. That isn’t to say that your mind is sending out light rays like flashlight. It means that it is aware of the world around it. Many things without brains or sensory organs intentionally interact with entities outside of themselves: sperm swim to eggs, white blood cells attack bacteria, and so on.

Mind is also constant. For example, if you look at a banana today, and then look at the same banana a month from now, the banana will be old and rotten, but your awareness of the banana did not age at all. It is the same. It is the same as it was the first time you ever saw a banana. This is, by the way, another argument for how consciousness is not a product of the body. The body ages and dies. Consciousness and memory can be affected by things like dementia, or, as you say, alcohol. But what is affected, mind itself, is not produced by the water, fat, salt, and amino acids from which the brain is composed.
Last edited by PadmaVonSamba on Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm
avisitor wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:20 pmHowever, if you wish to teach then I am willing to learn.
Buddhist teachings are that our experience of consciousness (not to be confused with the nature of consciousness itself) in other words, what we experience through our senses, that experience arises where awareness and objects of awareness meet.

For example, some wood has been cut into shapes and fastened together by a furniture maker. You see that construction through the sense organs and visual awareness, and identify it as a chair. That is your experience: “I see a chair”. But the object has no essential “chair-ness” to it. In that regard, “chair” is a projection of your own mind. Further, you might perceive it as a comfy chair, an uncomfortable chair, whatever. If the furniture maker manufactured Chinese Buddhist shrine cabinets and you had never seen one, you might recognize it as some type of furniture, but that would be the extent of it.

The same thing pertains to the body. It is also a projection of your own thoughts and interpretations. Buddhism would refer to that as illusion. Because of our human condition, it is easy to see some aspects of this illusion are just that. For example, I might think I am ugly. But someone else might think I am handsome. People with anorexia perceive themselves as overweight even when they look like walking skeletons.

On the other hand, some aspects of this illusion are practically unavoidable: if You punch me in the stomach, I will feel pain. But a shaolin trained monk might not feel pain. If you stab me in the heart, I will bleed and my body will “die” meaning that the physical properties will no longer replicate themselves.

But the very most subtle level of awareness, which has associated itself with this body, continues to ‘replicate’ itself, meaning that each moment of awareness gives rise to another moment of awareness. It isn’t a solid “thing” but rather a continuous process, like a fire burning, or a breeze blowing, or water flowing.

The mind has no identifying characteristics on its own. It’s like a mirror in that way. You can only see what is reflected in it. But awareness, or mind, has certain qualities. It is limitless, just as a mirror can reflect anything, even the sun 93,000,000 miles away. Mind is also ‘luminous’ meaning it perceives. ‘luminous’ refers to how a bright light or lamp brought into a dark room immediately illuminates everything in that room. That isn’t to say that your mind is sending out light rays like flashlight. It means that it is aware of the world around it. Many things without brains or sensory organs intentionally interact with entities outside of themselves: sperm swim to eggs, white blood cells attack bacteria, and so on.

Mind is also constant. For example, if you look at a banana today, and then look at the same banana a month from now, the banana will be old and rotten, but your awareness of the banana did not age at all. It is the same. It is the same as it was the first time you ever saw a banana. This is, by the way, another example of how consciousness is not a product of the body.
How luminous?
It’s eye blinking.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

LastLegend wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:32 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm

Mind is also constant. For example, if you look at a banana today, and then look at the same banana a month from now, the banana will be old and rotten, but your awareness of the banana did not age at all. It is the same. It is the same as it was the first time you ever saw a banana. This is, by the way, another example of how consciousness is not a product of the body.
How luminous?

I added (editing) this probably as you were reading it:

Mind is also ‘luminous’ meaning it perceives. ‘luminous’ refers to how a bright light or lamp brought into a dark room immediately illuminates everything in that room. That isn’t to say that your mind is sending out light rays like flashlight. It means that it is aware of the world around it. Many things without brains or sensory organs intentionally interact with entities outside of themselves: sperm swim to eggs, white blood cells attack bacteria, and so on.
EMPTIFUL.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Yes sirrr!

Within luminous, how does mind behave or does it shift? :lol:
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Chán is poor man’s soup! :lol:
It’s eye blinking.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

Queequeg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pm
avisitor wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:20 pm
Who or what is the discerning perceiver who sees truth? Who sees what is not hidden? That's not not a description of the mind dropping off as best I can tell. Maybe it is. Can you elaborate?
I have no words to describe such things.
Queequeg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pmYou might then consider Buddha's teachings, then. Because there are words that can be used to analyze and describe such things.
Really?? What was the direct transmission Buddha gave during the Flower Sermon? Did they use words?? May be you are right??
Trivial cause whatever I say will make no different.
Queequeg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pmImportant enough to you that you feel compelled to post and read responses to your posts.
Rude not to answer. But, if you think I should not then Okay??
And do not wish to defend what I believe (comes from experiences and being alive)
However, if you wish to teach then I am willing to learn.
Queequeg wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:46 pmAt this point, I don't think you're being asked to defend anything, just explain the views you've vaguely expressed.

I'm not a teacher. Just responding to you.
Asking for an explanation? I do not know anything.

You are the one who said you like to be profoundly disturbing.
And, You still the mind so that it can be observed.

To me the story goes, ...
The mind is like the water in the bucket.
When disturbed then one can not see clearly.
When the water becomes still then one can see the moon.
So, am I quieting this mind so I can observe it??

Someone pointing at the moon
So do I look at the finger or do I look at the moon??

But, as I said, I am willing to learn.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Bodhidharma transmitted unborn mind. The mind before anything arises that knows itself.
It’s eye blinking.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pmBuddhist teachings are that our experience of consciousness (not to be confused with the nature of consciousness itself) in other words, what we experience through our senses, that experience arises where awareness and objects of awareness meet.
So the experience of consciousness is through our senses and arise where awareness and object of awareness meet?
When I dream of things, my experience is not through my senses but in my mind.
And it arises from thought where awareness and object of awareness is one and the same.
It seems to me that, like the bible, the teachings of Buddha has been interpreted as many ways as can be
by as many men who have tried to interpret it. I lose track and know not what is real.
Much like the story of the blind men and the elephant. Each only gets part of the whole.
But, yes, I understand what you are saying.
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pm The same thing pertains to the body. It is also a projection of your own thoughts and interpretations. Buddhism would refer to that as illusion. Because of our human condition, it is easy to see some aspects of this illusion are just that. For example, I might think I am ugly. But someone else might think I am handsome. People with anorexia perceive themselves as overweight even when they look like walking skeletons.
Are you saying the body (it) is a projection of my thoughts and interpretations??
I thought Buddhism refers to this life as an illusion cause when one is enlightened then one sees the truth.
This life is impermanent and so is only passing like the shadow of the cloud on a sunny day.
What you speak of is perception. What you perceive is not what I perceive.
So, this makes it an illusion. Okay. I understand.
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pmOn the other hand, some aspects of this illusion are practically unavoidable: if You punch me in the stomach, I will feel pain. But a shaolin trained monk might not feel pain. If you stab me in the heart, I will bleed and my body will “die” meaning that the physical properties will no longer replicate themselves.
Don't know why I would punch you?? Pacifist here. Stab?? Please stop.
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pmBut the very most subtle level of awareness, which has associated itself with this body, continues to ‘replicate’ itself, meaning that each moment of awareness gives rise to another moment of awareness. It isn’t a solid “thing” but rather a continuous process, like a fire burning, or a breeze blowing, or water flowing.
So you are saying that life is built up of little discreet moments of awareness. One giving rise to the next.
Who decides how big those little discreet moments are?
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:24 pmThe mind has no identifying characteristics on its own. It’s like a mirror in that way. You can only see what is reflected in it. But awareness, or mind, has certain qualities. It is limitless, just as a mirror can reflect anything, even the sun 93,000,000 miles away. Mind is also ‘luminous’ meaning it perceives. ‘luminous’ refers to how a bright light or lamp brought into a dark room immediately illuminates everything in that room. That isn’t to say that your mind is sending out light rays like flashlight. It means that it is aware of the world around it. Many things without brains or sensory organs intentionally interact with entities outside of themselves: sperm swim to eggs, white blood cells attack bacteria, and so on.

Mind is also constant. For example, if you look at a banana today, and then look at the same banana a month from now, the banana will be old and rotten, but your awareness of the banana did not age at all. It is the same. It is the same as it was the first time you ever saw a banana. This is, by the way, another argument for how consciousness is not a product of the body. The body ages and dies. Consciousness and memory can be affected by things like dementia, or, as you say, alcohol. But what is affected, mind itself, is not produced by the water, fat, salt, and amino acids from which the brain is composed.
Certainly sounds like you know what the mind is or is not??
Constant and no identifying characteristics
So being constant is not a characteristic??
Luminous and not projecting light??
Luminous is also not a characteristic of the mind?
But it can be luminous but isn't to say it is projecting light??

Sorry but this mind is produced from the body, the brain.
This consciousness, of which you speak of, is part of this body
It is no mind which is not part of this aggregate.
And that will go beyond this illusion.

I understand what you are trying to say
But, you can not use these words to say it
Stuck in a duality. Luminous but no light?? No characteristics but is constant??

Think I will stop answering. So please do not think I am rude.
I am just tired.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

avisitor wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:49 amSo the experience of consciousness is through our senses and arise where awareness and object of awareness meet?
When I dream of things, my experience is not through my senses but in my mind.
If you study Buddhist theory you will see that mind is regarded as a sense, along with the usual 5, because it also relays objects of awareness (thoughts and dreams) just as the senses relay objects that are visual, tactile, etc.
And it arises from thought where awareness and object of awareness is one and the same
Awareness and objects of awareness cannot be one in the same. Awareness is what perceives. If it can be perceived then by definition it cannot be the perceiver. It is not what perceives.
It seems to me that, like the bible, the teachings of Buddha has been interpreted as many ways as can be
by as many men who have tried to interpret it. I lose track and know not what is real.
that’s not Buddha’s fault.
Much like the story of the blind men and the elephant. Each only gets part of the whole.
well, I’m happy to see you know at least one metaphor that comes from a Buddhist sutra directly.
Are you saying the body (it) is a projection of my thoughts and interpretations??
“body” is, because it’s a temporary set collection of conditions. Your “body” is never the same for even one day. But you imagine it and experience it as though it is. That experience, that imagining is a projection of your mind.
Is a chopped up corpse fed to vultures still a body? If not, at what exact point does it stop being a body?
I thought Buddhism refers to this life as an illusion cause when one is enlightened then one sees the truth.
This life is impermanent and so is only passing like the shadow of the cloud on a sunny day.
What you speak of is perception. What you perceive is not what I perceive.
So, this makes it an illusion. Okay. I understand.

Certainly sounds like you know what the mind is or is not??
Constant and no identifying characteristics
So being constant is not a characteristic??
Luminous and not projecting light??
Luminous is also not a characteristic of the mind?
But it can be luminous but isn't to say it is projecting light??
technically, no, they are not characteristics of mind, because mind has no finite qualities. They describe the infinite aspects or nature of mind.
Sorry but this mind is produced from the body, the brain.
This consciousness, of which you speak of, is part of this body
if that were true, the brain could detect its own existence. Instead, it is forever trapped inside a cramped dark space. Why doesn’t it experience this? As I mentioned, the body is an object of awareness. It can’t be awareness.
EMPTIFUL.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

Mind has no characteristics, no finite qualities. But, it is constant? And when asked to use the mind to hold spoon, it can not unless it uses hands or other tools. Of course, not finite. But, then again, Buddhist consider it like a sense... like the other five senses. So, other five senses are not finite? Infinite aspect of the mind? I am trying to integrate all of what you say is true instead of accepting bits and pieces. Not doing a good job of it. Maybe I should just be like that guy in the story that just says, "Is that so? "???

So, awareness and the object of awareness cannot be one and the same due to the definition? Duality of being you or being me, light and dark, cannot be the same???
But, it was said that all this is an illusion? So maybe, we are the same? It seems the more I learn the less I understand. When I dream, awareness of the dream and things in the dream, all come from this mind. But, definition prevents me from having this dream?
:woohoo: :woohoo:
:namaste:

Sorry, really like emojis .hahaha.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

AV, I don't think our discussions are stumbling over a fundamental disagreement - you assert mind is an epiphenomenon of matter, and we're saying something else, to put it sort of crudely - matter is a function of mind. As long as we're clear about this we can talk around it, but it does limit where the discussion can go.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

avisitor wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:26 am Mind has no characteristics, no finite qualities. But, it is constant? And when asked to use the mind to hold spoon, it can not unless it uses hands or other tools.
When you are thinking “spoon” then the mind is holding the spoon.
Of course, not finite. But, then again, Buddhist consider it like a sense... like the other five senses. So, other five senses are not finite? Infinite aspect of the mind?
Mind is infinite, like space. But just like a house divides space up into small rooms, the mind is divided up by the 5 ordinary senses, because these senses are limited.
So, awareness and the object of awareness cannot be one and the same due to the definition? Duality of being you or being me, light and dark, cannot be the same??
They are opposite in terms of their relationship to each other. But they are the same in terms of their fundamental nature, which is emptiness. In other words, a stick of incense by itself is neither long or short. Ten sticks of incense, each one a different length, none of them is long or short. So, in this way they are all the same. But when you have duality, you put two sticks next to each other, then one is long and the other is short.
EMPTIFUL.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 pm When you are thinking “spoon” then the mind is holding the spoon.
Of course, my hand has nothing to do with holding the spoon??
Mind is infinite, like space. But just like a house divides space up into small rooms, the mind is divided up by the 5 ordinary senses, because these senses are limited.
Mind is encased in this brain which is finite??
Unless you believe that it is not??
If it is not then we can take your brain away and you would still have your mind??

They are opposite in terms of their relationship to each other. But they are the same in terms of their fundamental nature, which is emptiness. In other words, a stick of incense by itself is neither long or short. Ten sticks of incense, each one a different length, none of them is long or short. So, in this way they are all the same. But when you have duality, you put two sticks next to each other, then one is long and the other is short.
Fundamental nature is emptiness??
So, if one gets hit upon the head with the spoon then the pain one feels is only emptiness??
:rolling: :rolling: :namaste:
Last edited by avisitor on Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

Queequeg wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:48 pm AV, I don't think our discussions are stumbling over a fundamental disagreement - you assert mind is an epiphenomenon of matter, and we're saying something else, to put it sort of crudely - matter is a function of mind. As long as we're clear about this we can talk around it, but it does limit where the discussion can go.
Okay, I believe .. you believe .. what you say is true.
Let us sit and meditate upon such matters??
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

avisitor wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:39 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 6:30 pm When you are thinking “spoon” then the mind is holding the spoon.
Of course, my hand has nothing to do with holding the spoon??
Mind is encased in this brain which is finite??
Unless you believe that it is not??
If it is not then we can take your brain away and you would still have your mind??

Fundamental nature is emptiness??
So, if one gets hit upon the head with the spoon then the pain one feels is only emptiness??
:rolling: :rolling: :namaste:
1. If your hand is holding the spoon then your hand is holding the spoon. If you are only thinking about a spoon, or dreaming about a spoon, then it is only your mind holding the spoon.
2. If mind is only encased in the brain then all you can experience is the dark, cramped enclosure of the brain, along with sparks produced by neurochemical interactions.
3. One might feel pain, but the nature of the pain is emptiness.

Do you understand what “emptiness” (sunyata) refers to, what the term means?
EMPTIFUL.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

All Chan patriarchs stressed the matter of life and death. It’s not simply death is the end like brain gives rise to mind.
It’s eye blinking.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 7:32 pm 1. If your hand is holding the spoon then your hand is holding the spoon. If you are only thinking about a spoon, or dreaming about a spoon, then it is only your mind holding the spoon.
2. If mind is only encased in the brain then all you can experience is the dark, cramped enclosure of the brain, along with sparks produced by neurochemical interactions.
3. One might feel pain, but the nature of the pain is emptiness.

Do you understand what “emptiness” (sunyata) refers to, what the term means?
Dreaming about a spoon? Then both dream and dreamer are one and the same?
So, by definition I can not be dreaming??
No wonder I get no sleep??

If a computer is encase in a box on a desktop then how would it be able to connect to the internet?
The mind is in the brain with all the senses attached to it? Why would it be just dark and cramped??
When one sits, just sits, it can be with eyes closed and no notice of the sounds
and no feeling of the pain in one's legs. Is that not what you are doing??
Are you only experiencing the dark?

If you feel pain then how is that empty?
If your partner broke up with you then you would feel emotional pain and an emptiness??
Do you have your own understanding of emptiness and want me to agree with you??
So do I just take your word that the nature of pain is emptiness??
Can you prove that to me?

Do you know what "No Mind" means??
:focus:

This has gone too far from the topic of this thread.
I am so sorry.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

No mind is ignore? Ignore pain. So then what knows to ignore?!

No Chan Patriarchs ever mentioned brain in association with mind. Bodhidharma’s blood stream sermon uses mind as nature, though no technical explanation of consciousness and other aggregates. Sixth Patriarch used Maha Prajna more often than nature. Linjii called the body red flesh not even singling out the brain.
It’s eye blinking.
avisitor

Post by avisitor »

LastLegend wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:43 am No mind is ignore? Ignore pain. So then what knows to ignore?!

No Chan Patriarchs ever mentioned brain in association with mind. Bodhidharma’s blood stream sermon uses mind as nature, though no technical explanation of consciousness and other aggregates. Sixth Patriarch used Maha Prajna more often than nature. Linjii called the body red flesh not even singling out the brain.
No mind is the truth.
What is the truth?
That which can not be hidden.
The sun, the moon and the truth.

You have a face. But, if I never mention you have a face does that mean there is no face?
What is obvious and in front of you is hardly ever mentioned.
Why would it when it is right there? In front of you?
Linjii called the body red flesh. Does that mean there are no bones??
If you search and look for something to prove your theories then you will find it.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

avisitor wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 3:02 pm
LastLegend wrote: Sun Mar 07, 2021 5:43 am No mind is ignore? Ignore pain. So then what knows to ignore?!

No mind is the truth.
What is the truth?
That which can not be hidden.
The sun, the moon and the truth.

You have a face. But, if I never mention you have a face does that mean there is no face?
What is obvious and in front of you is hardly ever mentioned.
Why would it when it is right there? In front of you?
Linjii called the body red flesh. Does that mean there are no bones??
If you search and look for something to prove your theories then you will find it.
I try to abandon theory. Not one or two. I have no dilemma or doubt about mind and brain. How about you?
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Meditation”