Hello i am new here

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
davidd89

Hello i am new here

Post by davidd89 »

Hi there i am new here.

My name is David and i started to meditate because i had panic attacks and helped me to relax.
it is been pretty hard at the begin but i have found that a rain sound makes me feel calm down!
i found this 10 hours noise of rain and i really love to meditate on that one, what is your favorite sounds or music to meditate with?
Last edited by Ayu on Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Mod note: invalid link to sound of rain removed.
Shotenzenjin

Re: Hello i am new here

Post by Shotenzenjin »

Welcome
Generation's shall pass, our determination shall grow, at the foot of Mount Fuji
Like smoke that reaches far beyond the clouds.--nichimoku shonin. Third high priest of Nichiren Shoshu

Hokekko of true Buddhism https://nstny.org

Introduction to Nichiren Shoshu Buddhism
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source= ... VKyEQ_cxK9
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

Welcome!
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Budai

Post by Budai »

davidd89 wrote: Sun Jan 03, 2021 7:54 pm Hi there i am new here.

My name is David and i started to meditate because i had panic attacks and helped me to relax.
it is been pretty hard at the begin but i have found that a rain sound makes me feel calm down!
i found this 10 hours noise of rain and i really love to meditate on that one, what is your favorite sounds or music to meditate with?
Good morning! I used to sit on my Zafu cushion and listen through this sound. It's my favorite form and Mantra. Such Buddhism brings Great Success :twothumbsup: . Om.
DharmaJunior

Post by DharmaJunior »

Mingyur Rinpoche has spoken about panic being his best teacher. He concentrate on the feeling- accepting it- and his awareness grew until one day it disappeared.

Favorite sound is wind in trees and rain.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

DharmaN00b wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 3:10 am Mingyur Rinpoche has spoken about panic being his best teacher. He concentrate on the feeling- accepting it- and his awareness grew until one day it disappeared.

Favorite sound is wind in trees and rain.
Before attempting this as described here I recommend listening to Mingyur tell the story. He does a great intro to meditation on youtube which I highly recommend that has his journey dealing with panic attacks as a large portion of it.

bluelotus

Post by bluelotus »

Dear David,

How do you do?

Meditation indeed is very soothing for the mind and body.

https://mynoise.net/

I would like to recommend you to go to this website, and select the sound that you find the most soothing.

Meditation with soothing music does soothe the tired mind, and body.

I hope you enjoy this website. While listening to the soothing music, I could see purple colours rotating clockwise motion in front of my mind's eye. If you do see colours, keep on focusing on the colours, you will feel very refreshed.

Blue Lotus
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

I listen to the ringing in my ears
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:20 pm I listen to the ringing in my ears
Same. I try not to focus on it, but it often intrudes. I have found the more I monitor my tinnitus the worse it gets, which I have read is typical of the condition.

Mine is from clenching my jaw obsessively due to anxiety/stress/various 3 and 4 letter acronyms. Jaw clenching -> TMD (colloquially called TMJ) -> Tinnitus.

I had a meditation teacher talk about how they fear tinnitus during their sessions because they are a musician and their hearing is important. I am also a musician and wanted to tell them that they'd be fine even if they did. I actually produce audio so need even finer grained hearing than I do as an instrumentalist. But I get it, I was devastated when it first started happening.

PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Hazel wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 6:08 pm
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 5:20 pm I listen to the ringing in my ears
Same. I try not to focus on it, but it often intrudes. I have found the more I monitor my tinnitus the worse it gets, which I have read is typical of the condition.

Mine is from clenching my jaw obsessively due to anxiety/stress/various 3 and 4 letter acronyms. Jaw clenching -> TMD (colloquially called TMJ) -> Tinnitus.

I had a meditation teacher talk about how they fear tinnitus during their sessions because they are a musician and their hearing is important. I am also a musician and wanted to tell them that they'd be fine even if they did. I actually produce audio so need even finer grained hearing than I do as an instrumentalist. But I get it, I was devastated when it first started happening.
What I mean is, since it’s there anyway, instead of fighting it, I just use it as a mental focus, just as one might watch the breath. It’s like s high-pitched hissing cricket noise.
One thing I have found, however, is that if I take a walk outdoors in wide open area, like a hiking trail or the woods, the ringing stops.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Alonsofrederick

Post by Alonsofrederick »

Hey David, I'm also new :alien: :applause:
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

It’s not tinnitus if you are comfortable it’s a good sign. :lol: Tathagata is not in sound touch or smell 😂 (which Sutras? Source?), so then how do we know the sound is there?
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Karma will decrease overtime.
It’s eye blinking.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

When two monks argued about the sound or wind of flag causing it to move, Sixth Patriarch said it’s their mind that’s moving. What part of mind knows the wind or flag moving?
It’s eye blinking.

Return to “Meditation”