Compassion

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
shanyin

Compassion

Post by shanyin »

I have a question, one about meditation and one about Buddhism.

What place does compassion have in Buddhism? Isn't Buddhism mostly about compassion?

How can I meditate on compassion?
Bundokji

Re: Compassion

Post by Bundokji »

Compassion, when defined in terms of absence, is to be free from delusion and ill will, and therefore not different from wisdom. From that perspective, practicing the 8FP is a training in compassion.
The cleverest defenders of faith are its greatest enemies: for their subtleties engender doubt and stimulate the mind. -- Will Durant
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

I would approach the OP via the Brahmaviharas. There's a very short intro to them here - https://www.lionsroar.com/what-are-the- ... maviharas/ with links to more information.
It may be easier to find detailed instructions for metta meditation than for compassion meditation, just because everyone seems to start with metta, but the principles are exactly the same.

:meditate:
Kim
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

shanyin wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 12:07 pm I have a question, one about meditation and one about Buddhism.

What place does compassion have in Buddhism? Isn't Buddhism mostly about compassion?

How can I meditate on compassion?
1. Look at your own wish to be free from suffering
2. Consider that all beings share this wish, and that everything we do, including both wise actions (which make things better) as well as foolish actions (which make things worse) are driven by the desire to be happy and free from suffering (fear, stress, discomfort, etc).
3. Decide that you will practice meditation not only for yourself, but for the benefit of all beings, and make the aspiration to attain realization in order to be able to help others.

Along with this, you can apply visualizations or whatever aids you in generating a heartfelt wish to help all beings (including yourself - don’t be a martyr!) to be liberated from the cycle of samsara.

EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
cjdevries

Post by cjdevries »

I recommend finding a good loving kindness meditation (metta practice). Sharon Salzberg is good; but there are many online if you do a search; there's even one by the doll Barbie that Sharon Salzberg shared on her page. It's actually good, though it's pretty funny to see Barbie guiding meditation:

On a more serious note, here is a compassion meditation by Bodhipaksa:

"Please call me by my true names so I can wake up; so the door of my heart can be left open: the door of compassion." -Thich Nhat Hanh

"Ask: what's needed of you" -Akong Rinpoche

"Love never claims, it ever gives. Love ever suffers, never resents, never revenges itself." -Gandhi

Return to “Meditation”