Tremendous energy during sitting

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
anagoagi

Tremendous energy during sitting

Post by anagoagi »

I sit routinely for 1 hour, and sometimes I can focus on the breath like a pro, but more often times, I get this incredible strong desire to move. If I just let it be, it feels like there is energy in the body, like the muscles are flexing or something, but it's not me doing it. It just happens by itself. It is such a strong stimulus, it makes it super hard to not move. I don't know why, it is like a sudden surge in energy, like if I drank an energy drink. I meditate in the morning right after waking up, but it doesn't matter if I do it before bed or after waking up etc. If I don't stay aware I start moving, if I stay aware I can see it sit in my body like a puddle of energy, ready to be actualized/released.

Sometimes, reality seems more real and enhanced, sometimes it's more dull and foggy, and it's always one then the other, a few days like this, then a few days like that. How can I get it to be consistent? Also, it feels like sometimes that I have no control. Like, I am aware what is happening, but it's not me doing it, like I can feel everything, see, hear clearly, but there is like a separation between me and what is happening, it's like I am just observing this body? What exactly is this?
Matt J

Re: Tremendous energy during sitting

Post by Matt J »

Welcome to the world of meditation. You are getting first hand experience of impermanence (anicca), no self (anatman), and dissatisfaction (dukkha).
anagoagi wrote: Thu Aug 13, 2020 2:17 pm Sometimes, reality seems more real and enhanced, sometimes it's more dull and foggy, and it's always one then the other, a few days like this, then a few days like that. How can I get it to be consistent? Also, it feels like sometimes that I have no control. Like, I am aware what is happening, but it's not me doing it, like I can feel everything, see, hear clearly, but there is like a separation between me and what is happening, it's like I am just observing this body? What exactly is this?
"The essence of meditation practice is to let go of all your expectations about meditation. All the qualities of your natural mind -- peace, openness, relaxation, and clarity -- are present in your mind just as it is. You don't have to do anything different. You don't have to shift or change your awareness. All you have to do while observing your mind is to recognize the qualities it already has."
--- Yongey Mingyur Rinpoche

Return to “Meditation”