Meditation in Nature

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
明安 Myoan
Former staff member

Re: Meditation in Nature

Post by 明安 Myoan »

Nature is a great place to bless innumerable beings that you encounter on the way with mantras or loving-kindness. It also gives you a sense of the scope of practice: as countless as the needles on these pine trees, so are mother sentient beings; may they all be free from suffering.
Namu Amida Butsu
MalaBeads

Post by MalaBeads »

As a young zen student, I spent many, many hours and sometimes days meditating inside the zendo. As you can imagine, peoples minds can become quite unbalanced sitting inside for so many hours with so many other people, especially if you are at all like me and have a tendency to absorb whatever is around you.

One day, we went outside to do kinhin (walking meditation). I immediately noticed that my mind balanced itself just by being outside and in nature, instead of inside the zendo. So, yes, I would say that meditating in nature can be helpful. However, it is also important to know how to balance your own mind if you are sitting inside.

Sitting inside, or sitting outside, both are useful. It simply depends on 1) knowing yourself and what you need, 2) and all the myriad circumstances that may surround you. This is always true though, in every situation.

I would like to add that my zen student days are long ago.
I am well aware of my idiocy. I am also very aware that you too are an idiot. Therein lies our mutuality.
temma_morssen

Post by temma_morssen »

Manjushri Fan wrote:Tashi Delek,

Has anyone here tried to meditate in nature?

And, do you have any advice/techniques for doing this?

:namaste:
Nothing supports the opening of the heart and mind like the beauty, tranquillity, and silence of the natural world. For centuries meditators have discovered the human potential to awaken in the temple of nature; that’s why many monasteries and meditation centers are located within the depths of forests and jungles.

When we meditate in nature, we bring a receptive presence to the natural world. It comes alive—and so do we. We no longer look at nature as an inert or pretty object, but as a living and breathing world of mystery and sensitivity, a realm of wisdom and learning that is always whispering its teachings to us. By watching the resilience of pines swaying in a storm, the patience of a silkworm as it threads its way slowly skyward to a high branch, or the busy cheer of songbirds living simply in the present, we learn from nature’s innumerable metaphors about how we too can live well.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

As the outer and inner are interdependent,
One should live in an enchanting, solitary, and pleasant place.
Mountaintops, as they broaden and clear the mind,
Are good places for dispelling dullness and auspicious for the development stage.
Snow mountains, as they clean the mind and clear contemplation,
Are good places for insight and there will be fewer obstructions.
Forests, as they stablilize the mind and develop the abiding of contemplation,
Are good places for tranquility and the growth of bliss.
Rocky mountains, as they generate the feeling of remorse and impermanence,
And are clear and powerful, are good places to achieve the union of insight and tranquility.
Riverbanks, as they shorten thoughts,
Generate the development of emergence swiftly.
Charnel grounds, as they are powerful and cause the attainments to come swiftly,
Are good places for both the development and perfection stages.
-Longchen Rabjam
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

temma_morssen wrote:

Nothing supports the opening of the heart and mind like the beauty, tranquillity, and silence of the natural world. For centuries meditators have discovered the human potential to awaken in the temple of nature; that’s why many monasteries and meditation centers are located within the depths of forests and jungles.

When we meditate in nature, we bring a receptive presence to the natural world. It comes alive—and so do we. We no longer look at nature as an inert or pretty object, but as a living and breathing world of mystery and sensitivity, a realm of wisdom and learning that is always whispering its teachings to us. By watching the resilience of pines swaying in a storm, the patience of a silkworm as it threads its way slowly skyward to a high branch, or the busy cheer of songbirds living simply in the present, we learn from nature’s innumerable metaphors about how we too can live well.

Hi Temma, I don't mean to be rude but what you have posted here are the words of someone else, I'm not sure why you didn't include a source for the quote, but that would be the right thing to do when using someone else's work. In this case it appears to be something written by Mark Coleman, a Mindfulness teacher.

Anyway, when I am out I find open skies and lakes to be very conducive to meditation.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Iconodule

Post by Iconodule »

An impression I got- and I am certainly open to correction based on primary sources- is that Buddhism in India tended to be somewhat indifferent to natural beauty. So, for animals, while Buddhism might teach us to have compassion for all sentient beings, animals are considered primarily as being in a suffering state. The beauty or wonder of animals (or trees or other natural phenomena) seems to be passed over in the early material, which is more concerned with how thoughts/ karma shape the world. However, when Buddhism comes into contact with Chinese culture (and by extension Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean culture), this seems to change. I know some have attributed this to the prominence of nature poetry in Confucianism (and Daoism) which was the prevailing outlook of the Chinese elite. The developing doctrines of Buddha nature and interpenetration of phenomena in the Tiantai and Huayan schools also seem to be compatible with a deeper appreciation of natural beauty.
Enter eagerly into the treasure house that lies within you, and so you will see the treasure house of heaven. For the two are the same, and there is but on single entry to them both. The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - Saint Isaac of Syria
davyji

Post by davyji »

I sit outside year 'round, spring,summer,autumn,winter.

dave
Working with the raw elements (air earth fire water space)is a process of connecting with the external elements and internalizing their qualities.
Ultimately we can merge with the element. We connect the external quality with the internal quality and then dissolve the distinctions.
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

The essence of the elements is light
ChNN
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

davyji wrote:I sit outside year 'round, spring,summer,autumn,winter.

dave
What kind of winter is that? :smile:
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

When the weather gets nice here, I sit and do other practices outside, there are only 3 months or so where it's consistently possible though, so you have to soak it all up.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

I just went down to the local swamp.

Kevin
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Iconodule wrote:An impression I got- and I am certainly open to correction based on primary sources- is that Buddhism in India tended to be somewhat indifferent to natural beauty. So, for animals, while Buddhism might teach us to have compassion for all sentient beings, animals are considered primarily as being in a suffering state. The beauty or wonder of animals (or trees or other natural phenomena) seems to be passed over in the early material, which is more concerned with how thoughts/ karma shape the world. However, when Buddhism comes into contact with Chinese culture (and by extension Japanese, Vietnamese, Korean culture), this seems to change. I know some have attributed this to the prominence of nature poetry in Confucianism (and Daoism) which was the prevailing outlook of the Chinese elite. The developing doctrines of Buddha nature and interpenetration of phenomena in the Tiantai and Huayan schools also seem to be compatible with a deeper appreciation of natural beauty.
I've sometimes wondered if the relative lack of emphasis on the environment is that India, aside from the Himalayas, is devoid of natural wonders and dramatic landscapes. A lot of the year, its just HOT. The land is relatively flat and arable - good for farming, very practical, conducive to easy living and leisure (to think up some far out stuff). In contrast, China boasts some truly dramatic landscapes and awe inspiring natural phenomena. The Japanese landscape is likewise inspiring and beautiful. These things might inspire you to paint them, or talk about them.

I think you may be observing environment influencing expression and experience. I live in the Northeast US, and there really isn't that much to get excited about in terms of landscape. We're known for our cities. Nobody writes odes about the Catskills or Green Mountains. We sing about Broadway and gritty urban life. On the other hand, the American West IS beautiful, dramatic, awe inspiring. People sing songs about the mountains and forests and beaches and deserts. If you're into contemporary art, you can discern that NY art is sort of claustrophobic and dark, while art from California, especially LA, has a wide open and sunny feel. I have no doubt its because the experience of these two places is so different.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
Iconodule

Post by Iconodule »

Queequeg wrote: I think you may be observing environment influencing expression and experience. I live in the Northeast US, and there really isn't that much to get excited about in terms of landscape. We're known for our cities. Nobody writes odes about the Catskills or Green Mountains.
Hmm, but what about Robert Frost, George Washington Irving, Longfellow, Whitman, etc.? Your name's Queequeg, so you've read Melville! And where would Lovecraft be without the spooky landscapes of New England? I live in PA and find it plenty awe-inspiring.
Last edited by Iconodule on Fri May 20, 2016 6:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Enter eagerly into the treasure house that lies within you, and so you will see the treasure house of heaven. For the two are the same, and there is but on single entry to them both. The ladder that leads to the Kingdom is hidden within you, and is found in your soul. Dive into yourself, and in your soul you will discover the rungs by which you are to ascend. - Saint Isaac of Syria
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote:
I've sometimes wondered if the relative lack of emphasis on the environment is that India, aside from the Himalayas, is devoid of natural wonders and dramatic landscapes. A lot of the year, its just HOT. The land is relatively flat and arable - good for farming, very practical, conducive to easy living and leisure (to think up some far out stuff). In contrast, China boasts some truly dramatic landscapes and awe inspiring natural phenomena. The Japanese landscape is likewise inspiring and beautiful.

Dude, you have clearly never been to India.

And the Himalayas??? Come on.
Iconodule

Post by Iconodule »

Yeah, it seems pretty much impossible to me that such a large and diverse country could not have some amazing landscapes.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: Dude, you have clearly never been to India...

I've been to India. Spent six months blowing with the wind. Admittedly did not seem that much, given its size. What did I remark about the Himalayas?
Queequeg wrote: I've sometimes wondered if the relative lack of emphasis on the environment is that India, aside from the Himalayas, is devoid of natural wonders and dramatic landscapes.
The best thing about Goa? Isreali chicks fresh out of the military. The beaches were... beaches.
Iconodule wrote: Hmm, but what about Robert Frost, George Washington Irving, Longfellow, Whitman, etc.? And where would Lovecraft be without the spooky landscapes of New England? I live in PA and find it plenty awe-inspiring.
None of them impress me as reflecting awe of the environment. They capture the environment as part of their writing, but they're not writing odes to it. Maybe Whitman does that, but not really until he gets to the Mississippi.

But, I yield. There must be some other reason that some places just don't produce art and literature reflecting awe of the environment.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Queequeg wrote:
Malcolm wrote: Dude, you have clearly never been to India...

I've been to India. Spent six months blowing with the wind. Admittedly did not seem that much, given its size. What did I remark about the Himalayas?
Queequeg wrote: I've sometimes wondered if the relative lack of emphasis on the environment is that India, aside from the Himalayas, is devoid of natural wonders and dramatic landscapes.

I don't think you have read much then. Writing about nature is integral part of Indian literary culture.

India has oceans, plains, deserts, several mountain ranges, thousands of rivers...

If you did not travel in the south, then you would not have seen much. Central India is pretty flat.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Malcolm wrote: I don't think you have read much then. Writing about nature is integral part of Indian literary culture.
This is most definitely true. And I do most regret talking out of my arse.

I'm going to go sit under a tree and contemplate my bullshititis.
davyji

Post by davyji »

Ayu wrote:
davyji wrote:I sit outside year 'round, spring,summer,autumn,winter.

dave
What kind of winter is that? :smile:
High mountain valley cold winter, with alot of sunny days!

dave
Working with the raw elements (air earth fire water space)is a process of connecting with the external elements and internalizing their qualities.
Ultimately we can merge with the element. We connect the external quality with the internal quality and then dissolve the distinctions.
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

ChNN
davyji

Post by davyji »

For myself meditations need to adapt to my present condition so they vary with the seasons and where i am geographically.
Morning & evening are best, a day on a sunny beach may be contemplative, yet swimming more fun!
The quietude of morning & evening is more conducive to resting in the natural state, offering refuge/bodhicitta, practicing Guruyoga, dedicating all accumulations, self-liberating!

Plan for the weather conditions, hat, sunglasses,jacket,gloves,socks,blanket, something soft to sit on etc. or no clothes at all.
Make the time & space for meditating outside work for you, for example on a recent vacation while the early risers in the house went out for a vigorous walk and the later risers still sleeping, i would sit outside on the patio overlooking jungle, apply the method and drop into the natural state.
30 minutes resting, then slowly integrating as people start gathering in the kitchen.
Sitting in my yard in various places depending on conditions is where i sit most often.
Sit tall,be practical,persistant, clever and opportunistic developing the skill in all conditions.

dave
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

ChNN
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Yesterday we had a nice & warm sunny day. I went to a certain park called "Park for the Senses".
(Sorry, only available in German: https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Park_der_Sinne_(Laatzen) )

It was created in the year 2000 and since then there is either nobody, less people or lots of happy people. It is never too full there and dogs are not allowed. There are areas with different elements: water (the children love to spend hours there), big rocks, a sun dial, big trunks of trees, artworks of sound, artworks for to touch, artworks for visual experiences, flowers in many colors, a smelling garden with kitchen herbs and fragrant flowers, many seldom different trees...
The children run around barefootly, the families are peacefully picknicking, laughing, having good talks, taking care for eachother.

I was sitting under a young birch meditating a little. It seemed to me, this very peaceful atmosphere at this place had a direct opening effect on my mind. Never felt so calm since a long time. As if somebody had turned off the radio and the humming sounds in my head. As if somebody opened the window in my mind. Simply beautiful.

I plan to visit this place more often.

Return to “Meditation”