Meditation in Nature

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
tingdzin

Re: Meditation in Nature

Post by tingdzin »

What a good idea! Large cities should have at least a small "Park of the Senses" available to everyone, especially children.
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

The outdoor meditator has a tendency to seek out high places, and I have to wonder if it isn't for the simple reason that high places tend to be a bit windier and cooler than other spots. Both of these greatly reduce the number of mosquitos. Then there is the fear that you may be eaten while meditating, it takes a while to get used to that. And you will want to be as far from people and their motorcycles as you can get.

I wonder how the Thai forest monks manage it. Last I saw, Ajahn Chah's encampment had pretty much turned into a monastery in a forest, with a number of buildings. I don't know if they are used for meditation though.
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
Kaccāni

Post by Kaccāni »

If you go outside, nature ripples the body and mind and there is distraction.
If you go inside, the body and mind ripple themselves and there is distraction.

Oh. But I prefer these ripples to the other ripples because the one ripples are so distracting. These ripples taste better than the other ripples.
So like I am vegetarian because then I can eat all the sugar I want.
Or I am inside meditator because then I can get all the in-door ripples I want.

Says the Want-Monster.

Why do you meditate?

Peace
Kc
Shush! I'm doing nose-picking practice!
davyji

Post by davyji »

catmoon wrote:The outdoor meditator has a tendency to seek out high places, and I have to wonder if it isn't for the simple reason that high places tend to be a bit windier and cooler than other spots. Both of these greatly reduce the number of mosquitos. Then there is the fear that you may be eaten while meditating, it takes a while to get used to that. And you will want to be as far from people and their motorcycles as you can get.

I wonder how the Thai forest monks manage it. Last I saw, Ajahn Chah's encampment had pretty much turned into a monastery in a forest, with a number of buildings. I don't know if they are used for meditation though.
Higher places for meditation is more conducive to gazing practices.

dave
Working with the raw elements (air earth fire water space)is a process of connecting with the external elements and internalizing their qualities.
Ultimately we can merge with the element. We connect the external quality with the internal quality and then dissolve the distinctions.
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

The essence of the elements is light
ChNN
BuddhaFollower

Post by BuddhaFollower »

davyji wrote:Higher places for meditation is more conducive to gazing practices.

dave
What kind of gazing practices?
Just recognize the conceptualizing mind.
davyji

Post by davyji »

BuddhaFollower wrote:
davyji wrote:Higher places for meditation is more conducive to gazing practices.

dave
What kind of gazing practices?
Sky gazing, particularly gazing where earth meets sky, ridgelines.

dave
Working with the raw elements (air earth fire water space)is a process of connecting with the external elements and internalizing their qualities.
Ultimately we can merge with the element. We connect the external quality with the internal quality and then dissolve the distinctions.
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

ChNN
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

Climbing in trees is the quintessence of practice for me. It is in nature, one is around living entities, with whom one can share Dharma,

mantras, quiet listening, prayerful intentions,

one is spending time with a living being which has much more patience than humans generally do,

indeed, in many ways one could say that Buddhas have the patience of trees,

it is as a pause in

it is. .

wonderful, beautiful, - one is also nearby to the source of pure oxygen,

and the vibrations of mantras are very beneficial for all of the beings around;

it is a good place to meditate on inter-being as well,

and there is also the physical activity of climbing, which is a perfect exposition of self-faith and trust -- very ease, quite at ease,

one does not fall - sure of one's foot-steps, easy climbing, and the rest.

namaste. om.
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
joy&peace

Post by joy&peace »

what better place to meditate upon inter-being than with beings which are literally - breathing oxygen, which is life - prana , . . .

perfect. . . exhaling precisely what we need - while we are exhaling precisely what they need -

as carbon is what trees are made of. . . oxygen, energy in this way.. is so beneficial.

also the mantras which we say there, are reflected back to us; this - beyond karma.

that is - free of karma, even from several mantras. . . or so many. . . beyond number. . but there, too, to let go of number,

simply to be and vibrate the holy mantras. . . names of Buddhas. . . and all the rest. . . Nama Om Buddhaya, Namo Amituofo,
Nama Om Bhaisajyaguru, etc..,
namaste
Om Gate Gate Paragate Parasamgate bodhi svaha
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

Meditating inside bring you confort. But meditation in nature is very good for many reasons. You benefits from the energy of nature. The sun feeds you, the stars awakes something profund inside, they relate to the deepest and most sacred part of ourself. The tree feeds your eyes, their presence inspires you. Birds sings and their images helps you fly away with them. In some tradition, some persons fly with the bird as a support : they literaly leave their body with birds as a medium. They can also brings messages. You can ask them to take your prayers, they fly between earth and sky.

Water flowing brings much cohesion. Lying on the soil is very calming, and if you open to mother earth's love, she can take away many problems and inspire you.

Rocks can feed you with their density and strength. Moon is a mirror that reflect parts of you.

All of nature speaks, and empower you. Don't fear her. Even if sometime she disturbs you with bugs or rain... she gives you energy. And energy is of utmost importance.

Also, nature brings all the time the idea of interdependance, and absence of ego. All of nature is an inspiration, a food, a poem, a song, and a call from the Mother.

Don't hesitate !
shaunc

Post by shaunc »

Being outside is a form of meditation on it's own. As you watch birds pollinate flowers and eat different insects it teaches me about the interdependence that we all have upon each other.
If you are near the coast try getting down to the waters edge and meditating with your breath and the ebb and flow of the waves synchronizing.
The Forrest monks of Thailand knew the value of nature in meditation and I'm sure that they are not the only sect to recommend this approach.
davyji

Post by davyji »

Resting in the natural state outdoors is direct as an awareness practice and transformative listening to the sounds.
I find the sounds of nature more heightened than the view of nature when resting with a silent mind.
So much so that blood pulsing through my veins is audible, as the ebb & flow of waves on a beach.
The view of the horizon where earth meets sky, the taste & smell of salty air, hairs on my skin waving in the breeze.
There is a rhythm driven by sound, a symphony of arising sensation passing and arising amid the vast of sound of silence.

This morning after barlung & tsa lung, sitting on the edge of the bed, window to the world wide open, the sounds awakened me as i watched...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amelanchier_utahensis

birds gathering the pomes of the serviceberry
hanging for the taking, as with the birds they are there for the taking without the use my hands, yum!

dave
Tenzin Wangyal Rinpoche

ChNN
_Namaste_

Post by _Namaste_ »

Buddha meditated in Nature so we should follow his example
i have never done its yet, unfortunately i live in Scotland where it rains most of the time
i would like to go to the beach and meditate there with the waves crashing to the shore
there is so much beauty in this world
I am grateful for this :meditate:
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

AvaLily wrote:Buddha meditated in Nature so we should follow his example
i have never done its yet, unfortunately i live in Scotland where it rains most of the time
i would like to go to the beach and meditate there with the waves crashing to the shore
there is so much beauty in this world
I am grateful for this :meditate:
I live just across the border in England so I know how difficult it is up here.

I have heard someone once tried to meditate in a cave in England and everyone thought they were crazy (I can't find the story on FPMT right now).
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
srivijaya

Post by srivijaya »

Lobsang Chojor wrote:
Has anyone here tried to meditate in nature?

And, do you have any advice/techniques for doing this?

:namaste:
Definitely and it can work very well. Elements of raw nature, sky, space, wind, sea, lakes, bare soil and fire help to expand the consciousness. There's no contradiction or conflict between awareness of external stimuli and absorption and expansion. Relax into it. In tantra, the gates of the senses are the goddesses of the mandala. They arise from the inner expanse and are co-joined with it.
Footsteps

Post by Footsteps »

The Buddha found enlightenment in the natural world, beneath a tree. How can we find it stuck within the walls of the temple?
"Don't interrupt the mountains or the lake."
Footsteps

Post by Footsteps »

To live without nature is unnatural. Meditation in nature is essential. The Buddha himself found enlightenment under a tree.

Natural entities can speak to you through nature. So can discarnate souls that preside over ecological territories.

In this there is much use if one applies it. Meditation in nature can result in the knowledge of food and medicine without having been taught by incarnate human sources. And from this, one can benefit living beings...
"Don't interrupt the mountains or the lake."
philji

Post by philji »

One Lama friend of mine used to meditate in the main shopping area of Birmingham UK( called the Bull ring). He highly recommended it.
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

philji wrote:One Lama friend of mine used to meditate in the main shopping area of Birmingham UK( called the Bull ring). He highly recommended it.
Wow that must take some skill, but I guess once you've meditated there you can manage anywhere.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
_Namaste_

Post by _Namaste_ »

I know this thread is old but I am thinking about sitting outside on a warmish day under the trees in the park, making sure the ground isn't wet but also bring a cover to sit on I feel that I want to be one with nature more and more than ever my partner will look out for dogs ( just in case they try to do their business on me ) listening to the sound of nature as I do it but I have yet to learn to meditate without music or talking of some sort but i think nature can be my music as it was the original music.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Just being in nature is nourishing ~

Return to “Meditation”