Thinking

Discussion of meditation in the Mahayana and Vajrayana traditions.
Mindful Entity

Thinking

Post by Mindful Entity »

Hello!
I started meditating a couple years ago to ease my depression and anxiety. In the beginning I used to forcibly push away my thoughts because my view on meditation was that of being in a state of bliss. As time went on I came to the realization that by not accepting my thoughts I only make things worse. I am new to thoughts and would like to learn more about it.
My question is: How do you use meditation for constructive and analytical thinking and how do you apply it in your relationships, work and in life overall?
Thank you!
narhwal90
Global Moderator

Re: Thinking

Post by narhwal90 »

Learn to let go of thoughts, views, opinions, reactions on the cushion- then likewise out in the world.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Post by Queequeg »

Mindful Entity wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:39 pm Hello!
I started meditating a couple years ago to ease my depression and anxiety. In the beginning I used to forcibly push away my thoughts because my view on meditation was that of being in a state of bliss. As time went on I came to the realization that by not accepting my thoughts I only make things worse. I am new to thoughts and would like to learn more about it.
My question is: How do you use meditation for constructive and analytical thinking and how do you apply it in your relationships, work and in life overall?
Thank you!
There are many approaches to meditation that promise better thinking applied to relationships and work. Transcendental Meditation, for instance.

That's not what Buddhists generally do. To put it sort of humorously, we're not practicing to get better at samsara. We're looking to end samsara.

One of the more basic formulations framing meditation practice are the two practices of shamatha and vipashyana. Shamatha is the practice of profoundly stilling the mind. Vipashyana is a practice of observing the mind. You still the mind so that it can be observed.

Side effects may include being able to navigate life more skillfully and just generally being happy.
Those who, even with distracted minds,
Entered a stupa compound
And chanted but once, “Namo Buddhaya!”
Have certainly attained the path of the buddhas.

-Lotus Sutra, Upaya Chapter

純一実相。実相外。更無別法。法性寂然名止。寂而常渉照名観。
There is only reality; there is nothing separate from reality. The naturally tranquil nature of dharmas is shamatha. The abiding luminosity of tranquility is vipashyana.

-From Guanding's Introduction to Zhiyi's Great Shamatha and Vipashyana
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

It may seem counter intuitive to the mind's formulation processes that quiet awareness can provide conclusion. Yet this is where wisdom is gathered. There are contemplative practices but if I understand correctly they accord to a similar dynamic.
Könchok Chödrak

Post by Könchok Chödrak »

If you keep your mind steady by Meditating while chanting a Mantra (i.e. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo, Om Mani Padme Hum, Om Muni Muni Mahamuni Soha, etc.), I find that is the easist Way to Meditate on the Buddha. The importance of Meditating on the Buddha invokes His presance within your mind, and by sound vibration, one can bring to themselves the praise and presance of many Bodhisattvas and Buddhas. This opens up a massive alleyway of oppertunity in doing anything you want to do in Meditation. Mantra Meditation is like a "foundation" by which one can practice Mindfulness and powerful Vipassana, because your mind will be helped kept steady by the vibration of the Mantra. You can draw Spiritual strength and balance from Mantras, and that is why I am advocating using them in Meditation. I hope this helps. :namaste:
Last edited by Könchok Chödrak on Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Ruminating less, thinking more clearly, being aware of how thoughts color and make up day to day reality.

In other words:

Don't follow the past.

Don't anticipate the future.

Remain in the present moment.

Leave your mind alone.

Another way of putting it is letting go of the Eight Worldly Dharmas:

https://www.accesstoinsight.org/tipitak ... .than.html
"...if you think about how many hours, months and years of your life you've spent looking at things, being fascinated by things that have now passed away, then how wonderful to spend even five minutes looking into the nature of your own mind."

-James Low
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:48 pm Don't follow the past.

Don't anticipate the future.

Remain in the present moment.

Leave your mind alone.
From Orgyen Chowang Rinpoche's presentation of Padmasambhava, right? :)

KN
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

“In zazen, leave your front door and your back door open. Let thoughts come and go. Just don't serve them tea.”

--Suzuki Roshi, "Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind"
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Thank you!
I think, you've had a very important insight here already.

IMHO, meditation doesn't work actively like any tool. It's not a hammer or a shovel. If any tool it's rather a broom.
But I think, meditation works more like endless water dropping. You'll proceed irresistibly as long as you continue with only little steps.
For the benefit and ease of all sentient beings. :heart:
microbodhi

Post by microbodhi »

Thank you!
Its a very nice question and one that is practical. If your meditation practice is going well or how it should be it will help you to get more insights into your life, what works what doesnt, there are a few or sometimes to many imo within the buddhist traditions that are looking for fantastic experiences, samadhi or initiation into the highest tantra, the great illumination or siddhis, to put it bluntly these are all just fatantises and cravings and no good will come from the practice if these are the goals, this is not say that there is such a thing as samadhi, or great benefits in tantra, siddhis and a great illumination but seeking them as goals of practice is often just a delusion , just craving and desire, one of the root causes of suffering.

Start and maintain keeping things simple, the buddha speaks about kusala and akusala, dropping what is not wholesome and cultivating what is wholesome, you will become aware of this in your meditation practice, seeing what works and what does not work, this builds up natural insight and will bring harmony with calm and insight with one another, samatha and vipassana are not two separate qualities .

Gradually things will become more profound in a very natural way, keep the basics as the firmest foundation, let go of what comes up in your mind as unwholesome, also sometimes study it, be brave even if it is uncomfortable and what are the causes and conditions, what is arising as unwholesome is based on greed, anger or ill will and wrong self view and build on kusala or the wholesome things that come into your mind, through reflection, things will naturally start to work things out and unfold naturally. Buddhist way and dharma is very much a way of life, not just a meditation or technique or memorising sutra that very few know the correct translations, this can add to becoming a waste of time and effort and just an avoidance of facing the real issues.
Last edited by microbodhi on Sun Feb 21, 2021 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Meditation”