Prayers for healing of myself.

Requesting and offering prayers and aspirations for those in need.
Budai

Prayers for healing of myself.

Post by Budai »

I have been through a lot of trauma helping people I Love deeply with their karma, and eventually I had to stop taking on many peoples karma because it hurt me too much physically and emotionally to continue on. It was Upaya, the pain, but Upaya is not as illusion. It is real suffering that I went through, and though I do not let it affect me, I was still hurt by the process of what I went through.

So my request is very simple. I ask you, dear Sangha, to pray for me in any way you see fit, that I heal from my suffering, attain the perfect Nirvana and balance, and heal from the pain and emotional hurt. As well, pray that I feel Loved, and that I always feel Loved. I know I am Loved by all Buddhists because every Buddhist is a Loving person and we all have great Compassion and care, servitude of the Sangha and and aptitude entitled to be Compassionate to everyone.

But simply, pray that I heal, and that I learn to care for myself so that I am not hurt in the future. So I can be happy, to make those who care about me most happy, so I can strive for the wellbeing of others in the most healthy and Compassionate Way possible, Buddhism.

Namaste.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.

Namu Amida Butsu.

Om Mani Padme Hum.

:buddha1:
Jesse

Re: Prayers for healing of myself.

Post by Jesse »

I hope that you begin feeling better. :hug:

Namo Amida Butsu
Thus shall ye think of all this fleeting world:
A star at dawn, a bubble in a stream;
A flash of lightning in a summer cloud,
A flickering lamp, a phantom, and a dream.
FiveSkandhas

Post by FiveSkandhas »

Prayers prayed.
Also please accept my best wishes for relief and advancement.
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

OM TA RE TUTTA RE TU RE SOHA
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Budai wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:23 pm I have been through a lot of trauma helping people I Love deeply with their karma, and eventually I had to stop taking on many peoples karma because it hurt me too much physically and emotionally to continue on. It was Upaya, the pain, but Upaya is not as illusion. It is real suffering that I went through, and though I do not let it affect me, I was still hurt by the process of what I went through.

So my request is very simple. I ask you, dear Sangha, to pray for me in any way you see fit, that I heal from my suffering, attain the perfect Nirvana and balance, and heal from the pain and emotional hurt. As well, pray that I feel Loved, and that I always feel Loved. I know I am Loved by all Buddhists because every Buddhist is a Loving person and we all have great Compassion and care, servitude of the Sangha and and aptitude entitled to be Compassionate to everyone.

But simply, pray that I heal, and that I learn to care for myself so that I am not hurt in the future. So I can be happy, to make those who care about me most happy, so I can strive for the wellbeing of others in the most healthy and Compassionate Way possible, Buddhism.
Maybe better than prayers is the prajna paramita. You could learn to talk with people without there being a "me" to feel a burden. No "me" to be burdened. No "me" to feel hurt or injured. No "me" to give compassion. No "other" to receive compassion. Meditating on emptiness will help a lot with preventing burnout.

Every time we expressed the words "I" "me" or "mine" in a sentence, that is an external indication of some self-grasping happening. Especially when we say things like "I am hurt," "he/she hurt me," "I am giving to you," "I want to feel loved," "I am so generous," "I am a bodhisattva doing bodhisattva deeds," "I want to attain enlightenment" and so on... This is a huge problem for people on the mahayana path. To merely have the thought of a "me" creates multitudes of suffering.

This is why wisdom is needed on the bodhisattva path. Emptiness is the perfect balance for compassion. Without some experience of emptiness, the emotions become too intense and we crumble under their weight. Some analytical meditations on no-self are very useful here.

If you want prayers, why not pray to truly understand the meaning of Shunyata? Prajna Paramita is the best medicine in the world. And it is indispensable on the path to enlightenment.
Budai

Post by Budai »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:22 pm
Budai wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:23 pm I have been through a lot of trauma helping people I Love deeply with their karma, and eventually I had to stop taking on many peoples karma because it hurt me too much physically and emotionally to continue on. It was Upaya, the pain, but Upaya is not as illusion. It is real suffering that I went through, and though I do not let it affect me, I was still hurt by the process of what I went through.

Maybe better than prayers is the prajna paramita. You could learn to talk with people without there being a "me" to feel a burden. No "me" to be burdened. No "me" to feel hurt or injured. No "me" to give compassion. No "other" to receive compassion. Meditating on emptiness will help a lot with preventing burnout.

Every time we expressed the words "I" "me" or "mine" in a sentence, that is an external indication of some self-grasping happening. Especially when we say things like "I am hurt," "he/she hurt me," "I am giving to you," "I want to feel loved," "I am so generous," "I am a bodhisattva doing bodhisattva deeds," "I want to attain enlightenment" and so on... This is a huge problem for people on the mahayana path. To merely have the thought of a "me" creates multitudes of suffering.

This is why wisdom is needed on the bodhisattva path. Emptiness is the perfect balance for compassion. Without some experience of emptiness, the emotions become too intense and we crumble under their weight. Some analytical meditations on no-self are very useful here.

If you want prayers, why not pray to truly understand the meaning of Shunyata? Prajna Paramita is the best medicine in the world. And it is indispensable on the path to enlightenment.
Thank you for your kind words. I understand your meaning, I hope. My question is, and this would make things easier, if all things are empty of a soul and a self, then why cannot those who misunderstand that truth because of grasping equally use those things maintained by Zen Buddhas for their purpose of happiness, Enlightenment, Awakening, and Realization, without fully accepting the full truth of emptiness as the only means to become who they are meant to be? Do all people have the same destination? Or can we all just be ourselves in our own way? I choose the Path of Buddhism, but someone may take another Path, will we all reach the Same destination in the Same Way? Or will we take those unique things about us and always keep them, because some treasure the teachings of soul and self even though they are an Expedient Means expounded on the Path before one enters serious meditation on Emptiness, the realization that the self is empty being the first step, and the realization that there is no self being the equibalance at the final gateway. So I ask, what of those who will be lost?
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Budai wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm My question is, and this would make things easier, if all things are empty of a soul and a self, then why cannot those who misunderstand that truth because of grasping equally use those things maintained by Zen Buddhas for their purpose of happiness, Enlightenment, Awakening, and Realization, without fully accepting the full truth of emptiness as the only means to become who they are meant to be?
If works both ways, doesn’t it?
We wish that others could see self-grasping as the roof of their suffering, but unless one really understands/practices/experiences it directly, one ends up with the sticky suffering mentioned in the opening post. I say “sticky” because nothing sticks to a Bodhisattva. There’s nothing there for other people’s issues to stick to. Until we develop to a point of —at least to a functioning degree— a realization of non-self, when we try to help others, we get into all kinds of self-grasping trips ourselves. Everybody else’s suffering becomes our suffering too. You don’t necessarily need that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Budai

Post by Budai »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:23 pm
Budai wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm My question is, and this would make things easier, if all things are empty of a soul and a self, then why cannot those who misunderstand that truth because of grasping equally use those things maintained by Zen Buddhas for their purpose of happiness, Enlightenment, Awakening, and Realization, without fully accepting the full truth of emptiness as the only means to become who they are meant to be?
If works both ways, doesn’t it?
We wish that others could see self-grasping as the roof of their suffering, but unless one really understands/practices/experiences it directly, one ends up with the sticky suffering mentioned in the opening post. I say “sticky” because nothing sticks to a Bodhisattva. There’s nothing there for other people’s issues to stick to. Until we develop to a point of —at least to a functioning degree— a realization of non-self, when we try to help others, we get into all kinds of self-grasping trips ourselves. Everybody else’s suffering becomes our suffering too. You don’t necessarily need that.
I understand. There’s a fine line between empathy and honestly the insanity I went through that led me into a dense forest of suffering because of people taking my mercy for them as an illusion. They didn’t believe I was really helping them, so they started to hurt me. One doesn’t have to push away all pain and suffering or even unenlightenment to be fully happy. There are ordinary people in the Amida Buddha Land without any interest in Buddhism who are fully happy. The problem lies in the attachment to lack of Compassion, sorry to say, which once fully sapped out, leaves a hollow mess full of darkness, empty of a self even though so is Love, as is you or me, but this darkness cannot bring anything to bridge the gap between failure and success until one turns to the Buddha. We need the Buddha. And offending a Buddha may be tolerable for some, but blaspheming one in an evil way is a downfall that leads to destruction. That is why I was so upset, there was much blasphemy against Buddhism in my life, and I am still dealing with it. So pray to Avalokakitesvara, PadmeVonSamba, if you wish, or anyone else and if anyone else wishes, that I may heal from the suffering and pain I have been through, that none more may come to me to hurt me or any aspect of Love of any phenomena, and that the whole world heals as all of us heal. I pray for our healing, Chenrezig, a trillion times more than I ever have, then times the Buddha’s Dharmakaya Body, so that the world may know Peace and Tranquility, and so all phenomena and all of us will be able to and will as well. Namaste. Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Budai wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm Or can we all just be ourselves in our own way?
Our biggest obstacle in life is self-cherishing. That's what we're talking about here. All the "me" "me" "me". One doesn't need to be buddhist to practice letting go of self-cherishing. This is how we get in our own way.

You mentioned zen. Zen is a perfect expression of no-self, ie. the absence of self-cherishing to its perfection. There are many people who practice zen who aren't buddhist, but they see the value in selfless wisdom. Being in the moment without all this grasping to a "me."
My question is, and this would make things easier, if all things are empty of a soul and a self, then why cannot those who misunderstand that truth because of grasping equally use those things maintained by Zen Buddhas for their purpose of happiness, Enlightenment, Awakening, and Realization, without fully accepting the full truth of emptiness as the only means to become who they are meant to be?
Well... if you misunderstand this, it's not zen. The thing is that people's ideas of their own happiness is deluded. It's all directed at satisfying the "me". Pleasures... desires... anger... jealousy... pride... even "positive" things such as wanting comfort, relaxation, love, a nice meal, a nice home, etc... It's all aimed at supporting a some idea of a "me". People don't realize that the very reason they suffer is because of their constant projections for satisfying their sense of self. That's all it is.

As for using zen to help... people need not fully believe into the philosophy of shunyata to benefit from zen teachings. Actually, zen doesn't go much into philosophy. But if you practice zen in an authentic way, you will start to get a sense of what this no-self might be... because all zen teachings are designed to cut through our illusions and be the truth. Not just see it, but to really be it. This truth, you can call it emptiness... but actually there are no words to describe it. Just words to teach how to approach the experience. A finger pointing to the moon.

Anyway, zen teachings such as to be present on your seat without thoughts of the past or future... just be here, now. This can be done by anyone. Anyone can do zen practice, there's no requirement of believing in anything. Actually zen cuts through all of our beliefs. It shows us they are nothing more than thoughts, and we cling to them.
I choose the Path of Buddhism, but someone may take another Path, will we all reach the Same destination in the Same Way?
There are as many destinations as there are paths. That's what a path means. It's a road that leads to a certain end point. If you look at any map, you'll see that not all roads lead to Rome. This is also the teaching of cause and effect. If you plant an apple seed, you won't get a pear tree. Everything we do has a specific outcome in accordance with the original action. If I shoot a gun, it won't turn into a bouquet of flowers. Similarly, we will only be liberated from samsara if we follow a certain kind of path, have a certain kind of view and do certain kinds of practices.

This idea that all roads lead to the same place is actually just delusion. The principle of the ekayana is that after countless lifetimes of following wrong paths, eventually the sentient beings will come to the path that leads to buddhahood. But the longer people do things without deeply understanding the four seals, the longer they will experience the sufferings of samsara.

This is all a long-winded answer. But really all you need to know is the first paragraph of response.

Buddha said clearly that the only thing keeping us in samsara is our self-grasping. That's it. Without self-grasping, we're free. All the 84,000 teachings are talking about this. This is the central point of all Dharma.
Last edited by SilenceMonkey on Sat Jun 19, 2021 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Maybe you should read a zen book.
Budai

Post by Budai »

I like books by Thich Nhat Hanh, I consider Him someone I want to be exactly like. Perhaps I will read one of His books. Thank you most perfect SilenceMonkey.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

Once I had a personal audience with a nun I've taken some teachings with, she is someone I always listen to. Very matter of fact teacher, and very to the point.

So I laid out what I thought was my problem, possible solutions, etc.

She paused for sec, then she said "Oh, I this , I that - there's the problem".
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
Budai

Post by Budai »

Yes even my Guru says something to the extent of: “The whole Saha world is moving under such false egoism of "I" and "mine,"…”

But I have head deep sayings that possession and attachment is not forbidden for everyone, even as encouraged as selfless Love, all and if only done through the Buddha-Mind. Of course, is this the case for anyone besides a Buddha? A fully Enlightened and Cause Awakened One who can actually say: “I Am Who I Am” finally? If others try to emulate Buddhas in all respects without growing the Bodhicitta to get there, for selfish gains, they will no doubt be commit a root downfall. So I think whether if one is Realized or not, they should follow the Path the Buddha has laid out. That is what even Gautama does from lifetime to lifetime, and people are calling Him a “provisional Buddha” for it.

Namaste. Om Muni Muni Mahamuni Soha. :smile:
tkp67

Post by tkp67 »

If you posses the faith, Chant gongyo twice daily in front of a gohonzon.

Shakyamuni did not suffer the pain of others but still understood it and addressed it compassionately.
Budai

Post by Budai »

tkp67 wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:35 am If you posses the faith, Chant gongyo twice daily in front of a gohonzon.

Shakyamuni did not suffer the pain of others but still understood it and addressed it compassionately.
What brings you to the conclusion hat Shakyamuni did not suffer the pain of others? Maybe in the Tusita Heaven? Was he just a friendly robot with “bounce off me karma” at every step? Or do you fall under the Theravada assumption that Buddhas do not suffer, that it’s all in their head, and that they have no empathy and that their Love isn’t even real? :tongue:
Budai

Post by Budai »

I will look into getting a Gohonzon. Thank you for the great advice. My current Nichiren practice has been just chanting without one and reading the Lotus Sutra. Perhaps it’s time for me to refresh my practice.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Budai wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:23 pm I have been through a lot of trauma helping people I Love deeply with their karma, and eventually I had to stop taking on many peoples karma because it hurt me too much physically and emotionally to continue on.
I pray that you free yourself from the fantasy that you can take on other peoples karma. Not even the Buddha could take on other peoples karma.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Budai wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 12:26 amThere are ordinary people in the Amida Buddha Land without any interest in Buddhism who are fully happy.
No there are not. This is a false notion.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

Budai wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:32 am Yes even my Guru says something to the extent of: “The whole Saha world is moving under such false egoism of "I" and "mine,"…”
Then if you want to progress, you’ll want to let go of all of your self-cherishing. It’s very simple. The more you hold on to a sense of self, the more you will suffer.

And this sort of suffering is not progress, it is holding you back as it is based in delusion.
Budai

Post by Budai »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 1:02 pm
Budai wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:23 pm I have been through a lot of trauma helping people I Love deeply with their karma, and eventually I had to stop taking on many peoples karma because it hurt me too much physically and emotionally to continue on.
I pray that you free yourself from the fantasy that you can take on other peoples karma. Not even the Buddha could take on other peoples karma.
It’s not that He couldn’t, I just think that it is a Path of insanity to attempt it. At it’s most congurent, Avalokakitesvara, when He was a follower of Caitanya in a Vedic text, asked Caitanya if He, Avalokakitesvara, could take on the karma of all living entities upon His own head because He could not bear to see them suffer anymore. But Caitanya wouldn’t allow it and said that the Universe would be vacated and there would be no loss for it if it were so, so there was no reason to lament, and because of such Compassion in the request even shown once, all beings would become Buddhas. This is in a Vedic text of the Bhagavatam Purana, but for this reason many Vaishnavas hail that form of Avalokakitesvara as more merciful than even Jesus Christ because He was willing to take on the karma of all beings, not just of His followers. But this is a complicated matter. But as you know, even Tibetan Masters take on the karma of their disciples when requested in order to help them progress in a lighter sense. Powerful Buddhists don’t let others suffer alone, and in a sense we are all sharing some karma here in this world.

But what I am asking anyone here to pray for me for is that I stay out of the affairs of karma. My Guru has told me directly, three times, many years ago to stay out of the affairs of karma. And I have not always listened. So I ask for the prayers of the Buddhists that are so wonderful here to put me on the Path where I stay out of the affairs of karma. And also, I ask Avalokakitesvara to Force me to stay out of the affairs of karma the Way my Guru asked of me to many years ago, three times He asked, so please Avalokakitesvara make sure I follow His request regardless of whether I want to or not. This is my deepest request of you, Chenrezig. Om.

Nam Myoho Renge Kyo.
Last edited by Budai on Sat Jun 19, 2021 7:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Prayers and Aspirations”