alms giving in Dharmic thought

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
megaman chiquito

alms giving in Dharmic thought

Post by megaman chiquito »

This post will be a bit personal,I hope you sirs dont mind. It's still related to buddhism.

In my own tradition(Catholic) alms-giving was traditionally believed to bring material blessings.You give money,God makes you richer,so you can keep giving. you never become poor just by giving to charity. however to my great sadness,this is not believed today, wanting prosperity is seen as a sin or heresy.

What are the Dharmic benefits of alms giving in mahayana? I think people think they LOSE money if they give to a hospital,beggar,or soup kitchen.If we can convince they are winning a lot,they would change their mind.Many people will not believe,but a few will, we have to present info to them and maybe they'll agree. I try to give a lot to people who beg, they are very thankful,I dont know what are the benefits but i feel loved at least.

Today I gave money to a hospital, so far im not richer but I feel healthier!
Budai

Re: alms giving in Dharmic thought

Post by Budai »

Giving things to others who need them such as food, provisions, or finances creates a compassionate Spirit within you, and if you spend your entire life doing things for others you will also gravitate towards those who help you physically, emotionally, and Spiritually as well. The Buddhist view is that donations to monks and Buddhists, and those in need, generates merit, merit by which you develop Bodhicitta, the determination to achieve Buddhahood. A True Offering is selfless, without desire for reward or return, or any gain for oneself, and if one gives in this Spirit, renouncing the fruits of action, they will learn a great deal about the True Buddhist Path. :buddha1:

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”