Dalit Buddhism

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Dalit Buddhism

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I came across this just now. I hadn’t heard of it before.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dalit_ ... _movement
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Genjo Conan

Re: Dalit Buddhism

Post by Genjo Conan »

My teacher has worked extensively with the Ambedkarites. Did you have any specific questions?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:58 am My teacher has worked extensively with the Ambedkarites. Did you have any specific questions?
No, but thanks.

I personally believe that politics and religion should stay separated. Others here believe differently. I just thought I’d share with them a politically oriented Buddhist sect. They may find it interesting.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
kirtu
Former staff member

Post by kirtu »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:15 am
Genjo Conan wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 1:58 am My teacher has worked extensively with the Ambedkarites. Did you have any specific questions?
No, but thanks.

I personally believe that politics and religion should stay separated. Others here believe differently. I just thought I’d share with them a politically oriented Buddhist sect. They may find it interesting.
In practice they can be a lot more embracing of traditional Buddhisms than implied in the Wikipedia entry, although this depends on the person or the family (or maybe another social factor).

But they can also have difficulty distinguishing between an expression of Navayana "nationalism" (something close to this feeling) and traditional "pride in Buddhism" that one sometimes sees as a social factor. You kind of have to see this in operation a few times to even figure out what is going on. On FB I have a Buddhist forum and have encountered this quite a few times now. One has to then decide if a posting is legitimate or not and consider where the poster is coming from. It can be quite challenging.

In the India press Navayana is consistently described as "neo-buddhist" and Buddhists who have embraced Theravada are lumped into that category as well along with westerners who have embraced Buddhism.

Kirt
“Where do atomic bombs come from?”
Zen Master Seung Sahn said, “That’s simple. Atomic bombs come from the mind that likes this and doesn’t like that.”

"Even if you practice only for an hour a day with faith and inspiration, good qualities will steadily increase. Regular practice makes it easy to transform your mind. From seeing only relative truth, you will eventually reach a profound certainty in the meaning of absolute truth."
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche.

"Only you can make your mind beautiful."
HH Chetsang Rinpoche
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Tue Nov 03, 2020 2:15 am
No, but thanks.

They also hotly reject rebirth, so, BINOs.
karmanyingpo

Post by karmanyingpo »

Conflating different strands of Buddhism and quasi-Buddhism does seem to be a problem here ("here" meaning regarding this topic, not "here" meaning this forum). Judging based on what I have seen of "neo-Buddhism" on the web, it does seem to be more varied than the Wikipedia page suggests.
Last edited by karmanyingpo on Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”