Hostile environment/political activism

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
muni

Re: Hostile environment/political activism

Post by muni »

Fight back will only increase the flames and turn what you say towards you, increasing the harm for themselves.
The ironic thing is that some of the people in power probably started out like you, they wanted to make a change
Iooks then like the change they wanted to make was somehow selfish and turned in frustration.
Everyone thinks they are the good guy
The basis to "see faults with others", samsara, suffering.

TruthBonzo, I just want to add, as you mention Thich Nhat Hanh, do you know the poem : Please call me by my true names, so I can wake up, and so the door of my heart can be left open, the door of compassion?

It is inspiring, to open, like all are included in nature.

Here it is: https://bolstablog.wordpress.com/2011/12/09/true-names/
I have many names, and when you call me by any of them, .....I have to say, “Yes.”
muni

Post by muni »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:37 am Buddhism has all sorts of vows,
But revenge isn’t one of them.
Conquering one’s enemy is easy
compared with controlling one’s own mind.
Yes, you can fight injustice without causing harm,
and if you are clever about it, the results will be
much, much more effective
This is very helpful. I guess, is by purifying own perception, avoiding cultivation of more karma like revenge. The welfare of the other is the importance, not "ours". Perhaps what JD meant with 'everyone thinks to be the good guy'.

TruthBonzo wrote: My view is that the powerful need to be challenged. To do nothing is to be part of the problem.
Like to allow action what harms many? Like action by racism?
muni

Post by muni »

TruthBonzo wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 5:21 pm

I need both. I've already been helped by Queequeg's reply whether it was intentional or not.

In one of tich nhat hanh's books he talks about putting yourself in a supportive environment. I'm in the opposite situation. If I tried to attend a Buddhist group in this area the people around me would question my right to be there and to have any interest in Buddhism. They would ridicule and demean me until I left. I'm not suggesting that a Buddhist teacher would do this.

The kind of people who end up in power are ruthless, selfish and completely devoid of any humanity. It's this type of person that tends to dominate.

Spending your time with true spiritual friends will fill you with love for all beings and help you to see how negative attachment and hatred are. Being with such friends, and following their example, will naturally imbue you with their good qualities, just as all the birds flying around a golden mountain are bathed in its golden radiance. Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
When growing insight widens, compassion - love as well.

With respect.
JoaoRodrigues

Post by JoaoRodrigues »

"The best way to control people is to encourage them to be mischievous. Then they will be in control in its wider sense. To give your sheep or cow a large, spacious meadow is the way to control him. So it is with people: first let them do what they want, and watch them. This is the best policy. To ignore them is not good; that is the worst policy. The second worst is trying to control them. The best one is to watch them, just to watch them, without trying to control them. The same way works for you yourself as well."

ZEN MIND, BEGINNER'S MIND
by SHUNRYU SUZUKI

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”