Extinction as a result of global warming

Discuss the application of the Dharma to situations of social, political, environmental and economic suffering and injustice.
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Re: Extinction as a result of global warming

Post by Kim O'Hara »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 3:38 am You're deep in it, Kim!
Indeed. I think everyone gravitates towards a niche in which they feel comfortable and useful, and this seems to be mine.
I'm not a climate scientist but a teacher with a good science background and a :emb: long history of reading SF, so I'm well placed to communicate the science to non-scientists.
Add to that the knowledge that climate change, unchecked, will cause enormous suffering, everywhere.
And add to those two a certain level of commitment to the bodhisattva ideal and ... here we are.

:namaste:
Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

SilenceMonkey wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 1:33 am Say, has anyone read "The Ministry of Fortune" by Kim Stanley Robinson? Ezra Klein said last November that it was the most important book he's read all year. So important he hasn't written another article on Vox since then.

https://www.vox.com/authors/ezra-klein
In The Ministry for the Future, Robinson imagines a world wracked by climate catastrophe. Some nations begin unilateral geoengineering. Eco-violence arises as people begin to experience unchecked climate change as an act of war against them, and they respond in kind, using new technologies to hunt those they blame. Capitalism ruptures, changes, and is remade. Nations, and the relations between them, transform. Ultimately, humanity is successful, but it is a terrifying success — a success that involves making the kinds of choices that none of us want to even think about making.
Thanks again for the recommendation. Thanks to the recommendation I'm now reading it, and I'm enormously impressed by it so far.

:reading:
Kim
Dharmasherab

Post by Dharmasherab »

All conditioned things are impermanent and therefore extinction is inevitable. Mass extinctions have happened since time immemorial and will continue to happen. There is no point trying to defile our minds when this rare human life can be used for transcending suffering by practicing the BuddhaDharma. Trying to create a better Samsara is a pointless exercise. Expecting politicians to make help with the global warming issue, whether that works or not, it doesnt matter. Because politics will eventually always let us down.
“When one does not understand death, life can be very confusing.” - Ajahn Chah
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Dharmasherab wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 pm There is no point trying to defile our minds when this rare human life can be used for transcending suffering by practicing the BuddhaDharma. Trying to create a better Samsara is a pointless exercise.
What happened to your Mahāyāna bodhicitta? Of course we cannot improve samsara. No one is suggesting that we ought to. We work with the samsara we have. And as Mahāyāna Buddhists, we help others work with the samsara they have, right down to the amoeba, plankton, and yes, even plants and other nonsentient creatures.
Expecting politicians to make help with the global warming issue, whether that works or not, it doesnt matter. Because politics will eventually always let us down.
What you are essentially saying is this: since climate change does not matter, the extinction of billions of creatures does not matter, and therefore, their happiness does not matter.
"Death stands before all who are born."
— Ācārya Aśvaghoṣa
KathyLauren

Post by KathyLauren »

Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:51 pmin the Canadian jungles, for instance.
You've seen my back yard, then, I take it? :tongue:
Dharmasherab wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:09 pm Trying to create a better Samsara is a pointless exercise.
Trying to create a better samsara is how you manifest compassion. Of course, samsara being what it is, you won't succeed. But if you can't be bothered making the effort, where is your practice?

Om mani padme hum
Kathy
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

I think the idea is that you can’t perfect samsara. The reason we eat food is to improve samsara temporarily by making hunger pangs go away.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

There are many potential practices within Vajrayana which can slow down or ameliorate global warming, but I'd like to recommend one that I think is frequently overlooked: Kshitigarbha/Sai Nyingpo. Kshitigarbha is most popularly practiced in China and Japan. In China, Kshitigarbha is practiced for liberation from hell. In Japan, He is commonly practiced for any and all lost fetuses. However, Kshitigarbha can also be practiced for control of the earth and all the Lords of the Earth and other spirits associated with the earth. In terms of Tibetan Buddhism, Ju Mipham has a very nice short practice which is available at www.lotsawahouse.org. There is also a modern terma revealed in the last 20 years in (I believe) North America by Orgyen Kusum Lingpa. It can be received from Tulku Sherdor Rinpoche Who has a FB page if one is interested. "Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Genjo Conan

Post by Genjo Conan »

Dogen instructed,

Once, while the late Sojo [Archbishop] Eisai was at Kenninji, a poor man came and said, "My family is so destitute that we have had nothing to eat for several days. My wife and children are about to die of starvation. Please have compassion on us."

At the time, there was no clothing, food, or other possessions in the temple. Although Eisai contemplated what to do, he was at a loss. There was a little bit of thin copper allocated for making the halo for the Yakushi-Buddha which was under construction. The abbot took it and broke it apart, rolled it up, and gave it to the poor man, telling him to exchange it for food to relieve his family's hunger.

The man was very delighted and left.

Eisai's disciples, however, reproached him [Eisai] saying, "That is nothing other than the halo for the statue of the Buddha. You gave it away to the layman. Is it not a sin to use the Buddha's property for personal use?"

The Sojo replied, "Yes, it is. Yet think of the Buddha's will. The Buddha cut off his flesh and limbs and offered them to living beings. Even if we gave the whole body of the Buddha to people who are actually about to die of starvation, such an action would certainly be in accordance with the Buddha's will."

He went on, "Even if I fall into hell because of this sin, I have just saved living beings from starvation."

Students today should also consider the innermost heart of this venerable predecessor. Do not forget it.
Eihei Dogen, Shobogenzo Zuimonki, 2-2
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

pemachophel wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:59 pm There are many potential practices within Vajrayana which can slow down or ameliorate global warming, but I'd like to recommend one that I think is frequently overlooked: Kshitigarbha/Sai Nyingpo. Kshitigarbha is most popularly practiced in China and Japan. In China, Kshitigarbha is practiced for liberation from hell. In Japan, He is commonly practiced for any and all lost fetuses. However, Kshitigarbha can also be practiced for control of the earth and all the Lords of the Earth and other spirits associated with the earth. In terms of Tibetan Buddhism, Ju Mipham has a very nice short practice which is available at www.lotsawahouse.org. There is also a modern terma revealed in the last 20 years in (I believe) North America by Orgyen Kusum Lingpa. It can be received from Tulku Sherdor Rinpoche Who has a FB page if one is interested. "Better to light a single candle than to curse the darkness."
Thanks.
There's actually a whole thread dedicated to such practices, Reversing Global Warming - Prayers and Aspirations at https://www.dharmawheel.net/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=31593.

Kim
Kim O'Hara
Former staff member

Post by Kim O'Hara »

KathyLauren wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 2:37 pm
Kim O'Hara wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 11:51 pmin the Canadian jungles, for instance.
You've seen my back yard, then, I take it? :tongue:
After that comment I can imagine it :smile: but, with all due respect, I'm sure your back yard now is not a jungle as I know jungles - and, more to the point, as your back yard may be in 20 or 50 years' time. Pythons? Crocodiles? Green-ants? Wait-a-while vines? Giant Stinging Trees? Fungi growing on everything that doesn't move - including you, if you stand still for too long? Strangler Figs? Mangroves along the river banks and the coast?
Florida - or even Guatemala - now is our model for Canada in the future.
And Florida (- South Carolina - Texas - etc) isn't doing too well these days, either -
Communities 'rooted in this soil' face a managed retreat from climate change and rising waters

A "managed retreat" is the planned relocation of people vulnerable to flooding and rising sea levels
Parts of Louisiana, Wisconsin and Illinois have used this strategy in the US since 1989
Parts of Florida, California and New York could some day need to use the same strategy ...
:reading: https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-11-26/ ... /100640950

Kim

Return to “Engaged Buddhism”