Mahāsaṃnipāta Sūtra (T 397) Contents

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Zhen Li

Mahāsaṃnipāta Sūtra (T 397) Contents

Post by Zhen Li »

I compiled a chart giving the contents of the Mahāsaṃnipāta Sūtra at this site. I gave links to existing translations, which are all from Tibetan. This may give us an idea of what kind of texts it contains and how much more there is to go to translate the Chinese canon.
Aemilius

Re: Mahāsaṃnipāta Sūtra (T 397) Contents

Post by Aemilius »

Interesting, does this mean that the Dharanishvararaja sutra is a chapter in Mahasamnipata, i.e. the sutra on which Uttara Tantra Shastra is a commentary?
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Zhen Li

Re: Mahāsaṃnipāta Sūtra (T 397) Contents

Post by Zhen Li »

Aemilius wrote: Mon Jan 17, 2022 9:56 am Interesting, does this mean that the Dharanishvararaja sutra is a chapter in Mahasamnipata, i.e. the sutra on which Uttara Tantra Shastra is a commentary?
Ah yes, that's correct.

I will put an emendation on the website: spelling should be Dhāraṇīśvararāja and there's an 84000 translation I should have been aware of. Here you go:
https://read.84000.co/translation/toh147.html

It is an independent sūtra in volume 13 of the Taishō as well, with the same title as the Tibetan: Tathāgatamahākaruṇānirdeśa (大哀經) (T 398).

Return to “Sūtra Studies”