Similarity between story in Chapter 22B of the MPNS and Sadāprarudita from Aṣṭasāhasrikā

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Zhen Li

Similarity between story in Chapter 22B of the MPNS and Sadāprarudita from Aṣṭasāhasrikā

Post by Zhen Li »

I think most of you will know the Sadāprarudita story from the last few chapters of the Aṣṭasāhasrikā, you may find the story of the Buddha's past life interesting from chapter 22B (in Yamamoto's translation). In principle it is largely the same. Almost like a precis.
"O good man! I recall to myself: Innumerable, boundless nayutas of kalpas past, when there was a world called "saha", there was a Buddha-World-Honoured One named Tathagata Shakyamuni, the Alms-Deserving, the All-Enlightened One, the All-Accomplished One, the Well-Gone, the All-Knower, the Unsurpassed One, the Best Trainer, the Teacher-of-Gods-and- Humans, and the Buddha-World-Honoured One. For the sake of all people, he delivered the sermon of the Great Nirvana Sutra. I, at that time, heard from a good friend that that Buddha would, for the sake of all people, deliver the sermon of the Great Nirvana Sutra. On hearing this, joy welled up within me. I desired to make offerings, but I was so poor that I could not offer anything. So I went round, intending to sell myself. But I was so sterile in my fortune that I could not sell [i.e. could not find a buyer]. I was on my way home, when I met a man. I said: "I intend to sell myself. Will you not buy me?" The man said: "I don’t have anyone at home who can stand the work. If you can, I shall certainly buy you." I asked: "What is this work which no one can stand?" The man replied: "I have a bad disease. A good doctor tells me that I have to take three liangs [i.e. a Chinese unit of weight] of human flesh a day. If you can supply me with three liangs of human flesh every day, I shall give you five gold coins." On hearing this, I greatly rejoiced and said: "Give me the money, and in addition seven days. Having done what I desire to do, I shall come back and do what I must do." The man said: "Not seven, but one day, to be clear." O good man! I then took the money, went back, went to the Buddha, prostrated myself on the ground, offered what I had and, later, with my whole heart, listened to this sutra. At that time I was dull. Though I heard this sutra, I could only uphold [i.e. remember, practise] one gatha:

"The Tathagata enters Nirvana
And eternally cuts off birth and death. If one listens with a full heart,
One will gain unending bliss."

"Having gained this gatha, I went to the house of the sick person. O good man! I then daily gave him three liangs of flesh. Because of the virtue of meditating on the gatha, I had no pain. Not a day did I fail [to give my flesh], and a month passed. O good man! As a result of this, the disease was cured. I regained the former state of my body and had no wounds. With my body fully in order, I aspired to unsurpassed Bodhi. The power of a single gatha is such. How much more would it have been if I had fully upheld and recited this sutra? Seeing such virtue in this sutra, my aspiration doubled [and I prayed]: "I pray that in days to come I shall attain Bodhi and be called Shakyamuni." O good man! Due to this single gatha I am now with this congregation, fully addressing gods and men. O good man! Thus is this Great Nirvana Sutra so utterly wonderful. It is perfect in countless virtues. This is none other than the all-wonderful, closely-guarded store of all Buddhas.
:reading:

Return to “Sūtra Studies”