The Goldenrain Tree Sutra as Expounded by the Buddha (T0786)

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
FiveSkandhas

The Goldenrain Tree Sutra as Expounded by the Buddha (T0786)

Post by FiveSkandhas »

I offer the following original translation of a short sutra known in the Taisho Tripitaka as the 佛説木槵子經 (#0786). To my knowledge, it has never before been translated into English, and it is presented by me in this language here to the Dharma Wheel community for the first time, having never before been posted or published elsewhere.

My skills are far from perfect so errors are possible. May all benefits from this effort go towards the liberation of all sentient beings. May any demerits due to mistranslation of the stainless Dharma be mine alone to bear.

Thus have I heard:

At one time, the king of the Land of Nandas, whose name was Virūḍhaka, came to the Buddha and said, "My country is a small land in a remote location. It is frequently invaded by foreign enemies and bandits. Because of this, the five grains do not grow, diseases are prevalent, and the people are in distress. I cannot always sleep peacefully. My only wish is to ask for special compassion and mercy from the Buddha and to receive the Buddha's teachings, which I am in need of. I practice every day and hope that in the future world, people will be profoundly delivered from suffering."

The Buddha said to Virūḍhaka: "If you want to become free of suffering and remove other obstacles in the world, you should string together one hundred and eight goldenrain tree pieces into a mala and wear it at all times.

"Whenever you praise the three treasures of the Buddha, Dharma and Sangha, you should continue to hold the goldenrain tree mala, whether you are walking, sitting, or lying down, without losing faith, devotion and respect for the Buddha.

"As will become apparent, if you gradually use the goldenrain tree mala to call out the Buddha's name ten, twenty, a hundred, a thousand, a million, or two hundred thousand times, your mind and body will enter an undisturbed state, and you will be free from all manner of doubts and sufferings. Even if you die and go to the hell of hot fire, if you recite the Buddha name in this life, you will not be in need of food, shelter or clothing.

"If you are able to recite the Buddha name a million times with all your might, you will be able to eliminate and cut off the karmic retribution that arises from the one hundred and eight evil deeds.

"In this way, a person who at first seems to be acting contrary to the flow of life and death and heading for turbulent waters will be able to cut the roots of vexation forever and reap the greatest reward."
"One should cultivate contemplation in one’s foibles. The foibles are like fish, and contemplation is like fishing hooks. If there are no fish, then the fishing hooks have no use. The bigger the fish is, the better the result we will get. As long as the fishing hooks keep at it, all foibles will eventually be contained and controlled at will." -Zhiyi

"Just be kind." -Atisha
Zhen Li

Re: The Goldenrain Tree Sutra as Expounded by the Buddha (T0786)

Post by Zhen Li »

That's very interesting. It's certainly an encouragement to wear one's māla more often. I had a look at the Chinese and it is definitely difficult in many places. I was wondering where you found the name of the king.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”