If you sincerely want to 'dive deep' into the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Leo Rivers

If you sincerely want to 'dive deep' into the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra

Post by Leo Rivers »

If you sincerely want to 'dive deep' into the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra I recommend these works by John Powers in this order...

THE YOGACARA ROOT SUTRA
POWERS, John, trans. Wisdom of the Buddha -The Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. Berkeley, CA: Dharma Publishing, 1994.
This has 60 pages of footnotes that form a really very useful commentary . LR

HOW TO UNDERSTAND THE SUTRA’S APPROACH TO INTERPRETING THE BUDDHA’S WORDS in the SAṀDHINIRMOCANA
POWERS, John, trans. Hermeneutics and the Tradition of the the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. Buddhist Tradition Series 53. New Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1993.

TWO COMMENTARIES WITH AUTHORITY
Asanga, Jñānagarbha, and John POWERS. Two Commentaries on the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra by Asanga and Jñānagarbha. Studies in Asian Thought and Religion 13. Lewiston/Queenston/

THE PRACTICE OF YOGA TAUGHT BY THE SAṀDHINIRMOCANA
POWERS, John, trans. Jñānagarbha’s Commentary on Just the Maitreya Chapter from the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharal Publishers, 1998.
(The second half of Two Commentaries on the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra) :buddha1:

Asanga, Jñānagarbha, and John POWERS. Two Commentaries on the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra by Asanga and Jñānagarbha. Studies in Asian Thought and Religion 13. Lewiston/Queenston/Lampeter: The Edwin Mellen Press, 1992.
D’AMATO, Mario. Maitreya’s Distinguishing the Middle from the Extremes - Madhyāntavibhāga - Along with Vasubandhu’s Commentary - Madhyāntavibhāga-Bhāsya. New York: Columbia University Press, 2012.
KEENAN, John P. The Scripture on the Explication of the Underlying Meaning. BDK English Tripiṭaka 25–IV. Berkeley, California: Numata Center for Buddhist Translation & Research, 2000.
POWERS, John, trans. Hermeneutics and the Tradition of the the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. Buddhist Tradition Series 53. New Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1993.
POWERS, John, trans. Jñānagarbha’s Commentary on Just the Maitreya Chapter from the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. New Delhi: Munshiram Manoharal Publishers, 1998.
POWERS, John, trans. Wisdom of the Buddha -The Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. Berkeley, CA: Dharma Publishing, 1994.
SPONBERG, Alan. “The Trisvabhāva Doctrine in India and China.” Bukkyō Bunka Kenkyū-Jo Kiyō, no. 21 (1982): 97–119.
Queequeg
Former staff member

Re: If you sincerely want to 'dive deep' into the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra

Post by Queequeg »

Always appreciate your posts, Leo.
There is no suffering to be severed. Ignorance and klesas are indivisible from bodhi. There is no cause of suffering to be abandoned. Since extremes and the false are the Middle and genuine, there is no path to be practiced. Samsara is nirvana. No severance achieved. No suffering nor its cause. No path, no end. There is no transcendent realm; there is only the one true aspect. There is nothing separate from the true aspect.
-Guanding, Perfect and Sudden Contemplation,
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leo Rivers wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 2:45 am If you sincerely want to 'dive deep' into the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra I recommend these works by John Powers in this order...
Then one needs to read the new translation at 84000, where the translator shows the many cases where Powers made errors.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

I am glad Googling 84000 got me to the reference! :cheers:

As to "the many places Powers made errors", I would like to know wither the erors changes the outcome of his diverse arguements, [especially as regarding the 'pivot' or 'progressive' model of transformation],or if just his 'making errors' means he ought be taken out with the trash. :thinking:

I myself posted Tillemans 1997 review of Powers here, so I know about it .... but I never-the-less found some of Powers thinking in POWERS, John, trans. Hermeneutics and the Tradition of the the Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra. Buddhist Tradition Series 53. New Delhi: Motilal Banarsidass, 1993 very sound and very useful.

What's the judgement on Keenan and Cleary's versions while we're at it?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Leo Rivers wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 11:41 pm I am glad Googling 84000 got me to the reference! :cheers:

As to "the many places Powers made errors", I would like to know wither the erors changes the outcome of his diverse arguements, [especially as regarding the 'pivot' or 'progressive' model of transformation],or if just his 'making errors' means he ought be taken out with the trash. :thinking:
Some of the errors are substantive. I am not saying Powers’ contribution isn’t important. But all translations are subject to improvement. I’ve always said this. Also, Gregory Forgues’ introduction is quite excellent and well written.
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

But all translations are subject to improvement. I’ve always said this.
ABSOLUTELY! :twothumbsup:

And while we're at I'd LOVE to see an English translation of Wonhyo's Saṁdhinirmocana Sūtra commentary :reading:

Leo
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

Ask and you shall recieve. ..

Selections from the Commentary on the Saṃdhinirmocana-sūtra, by Woncheuk the Śramaṇa of Ximing Temple (Haesimmil gyeong so)

http://www.acmuller.net/kor-bud/vol06-0 ... ongso.html
1. Introduction

The Commentary on the Saṃdhinirmocana-sūtra by Woncheuk 圓測 (613–696) is regarded by scholars as one of the most important commentarial works in the entire Yogâcāra tradition.
Leo. :namaste:
SSZ

Post by SSZ »

There's a free pdf copy of my translation of Saṃdhinirmocana-Sūtra, completed just last week, written with quite a number of explanations referred to several commentaries of the scripture as well as some of mine, to all those important points. You can download it from the link below.

https://www.academia.edu/51810423/A_Pro ... %C5%ABtra_

Return to “Sūtra Studies”