Is this true? (Dharani Sutra)

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Padmist

Is this true? (Dharani Sutra)

Post by Padmist »

That if I recite this mantra, this will happen...

"The Blessed One then said, This is the rite for this dhāraṇī that is mastered through recitation. As soon as it is heard, all karmic obscurations will be purified, and one will be protected from all fears. If one recites it during the three periods of the day, one will see the bodhisattva great being Samantabhadra within seven days. If one mentally recites it without thinking of anything else, the great vidyā herself, the mother of Noble Avalokiteśvara, will be revealed within one month, and noble Amitābha will also be seen. One’s progress to unsurpassed awakening will be irreversible. One will also remember one’s rebirths and retain whatever has been learned. No matter where one is born, one will not be separated from the sacred Dharma, and one will be affluent.”

It seems too good to be true. Will this really happen if I do this? Should I? Are there any prerequisites?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Is this true? (Dharani Sutra)

Post by Ayu »

I believe it must depend on your karma and on the way how you perform it.
I think the statement what will happen is inspiring, but it depends on you. Recitation is not an instant pill after all. I think, it needs a heart to do it in the right manner.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Keep in mind, to ‘see’ can mean to have a brief glimpse of, a moment of insight.
If you expect these marvelous things to occur in a mundane sense, like ordering something online and having it appear on your doorstep, I think you will be disappointed.
If you look for a deeper meaning, I think all of these are possible. But you’ll need to expand your frame of interpretation. Everything is already a Buddha realm. It’s our limited grasping that prevents us from realizing that.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

It's Buddha's words and Buddha never lies. If we are capable of producing these effects, I'd say that is a different discussion.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I think you should not grasp to possible attainments, but practice as a way to express your longing and bodicitta.

After some time, because a dharani is blessed, it will empower you and bring realisation.

But the most important is bodicitta, and detachement. Don’t expect any fruits, offer your actions and practice for the highest good of all, yourself included.

Most people, me included, won’t have those results in seven days. But with faith, devotion and pure intention, you can really get something.

The dharani depends a lot on you. Your karma, your attitude, your bodicitta, your intention...

Don’t grasp at a results. When grasping dissolve, everythings come.
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

This is kriya tantra, not a sutra, so it requires transmission (probably). As for the results, if you have the prerequisites, you can always try. But it is not easy as it specifies perfect concentration all day for one month.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It is said that in an emergency or disaster, that if you recite the High King Avalokiteshvara Sutra 1,000 times, your life will be extended. Sounds very magical, doesn’t it?

The thing is, of course, even though it is a very short text, the very fact of being able to recite it 1,000 times already means you’ve got a lot more time than you though you had.

Buddhist teachings won’t deliver to you anything that you don’t already have. They merely show you how to find it.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
reiun

Post by reiun »

Padmist wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 10:57 am That if I recite this mantra, this will happen...

"The Blessed One then said, This is the rite for this dhāraṇī that is mastered through recitation. As soon as it is heard, all karmic obscurations will be purified, and one will be protected from all fears. If one recites it during the three periods of the day, one will see the bodhisattva great being Samantabhadra within seven days. If one mentally recites it without thinking of anything else, the great vidyā herself, the mother of Noble Avalokiteśvara, will be revealed within one month, and noble Amitābha will also be seen. One’s progress to unsurpassed awakening will be irreversible. One will also remember one’s rebirths and retain whatever has been learned. No matter where one is born, one will not be separated from the sacred Dharma, and one will be affluent.”
It seems too good to be true.

Agree.
Will this really happen if I do this?
No, in my opinion, and I think if you are skeptical, as you seem to be, then you are taking good care.
Should I?
Well, for instance, you might wind up "affluent" in some way, or at least wiser.
Are there any prerequisites?
Honestly, idk, but you seem open-hearted, and that should be good enough.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Aryjna wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 pm This is kriya tantra, not a sutra, so it requires transmission (probably). As for the results, if you have the prerequisites, you can always try. But it is not easy as it specifies perfect concentration all day for one month.
Sadhanas and tantric texts were gradually translated and incorporated into the chinese Tripitaka, and there they are called sutras. So what is "transmission" in the chinese tradition? The texts or sutras seem to have worked anyway. Transmission of words and meaning exists in all traditions of Dharma, but in different ways.
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

Aemilius wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 am
Aryjna wrote: Sat Apr 03, 2021 6:48 pm This is kriya tantra, not a sutra, so it requires transmission (probably). As for the results, if you have the prerequisites, you can always try. But it is not easy as it specifies perfect concentration all day for one month.
Sadhanas and tantric texts were gradually translated and incorporated into the chinese Tripitaka, and there they are called sutras. So what is "transmission" in the chinese tradition? The texts or sutras seem to have worked anyway. Transmission of words and meaning exists in all traditions of Dharma, but in different ways.
This is in the kriya tantra category on 84000, where the OP probably saw it.
Aemilius

Post by Aemilius »

Aryjna wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 9:34 am
Aemilius wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 8:59 am
This is in the kriya tantra category on 84000, where the OP probably saw it.
OK
svaha
"All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights.
They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood.
Sarvē mānavāḥ svatantrāḥ samutpannāḥ vartantē api ca, gauravadr̥śā adhikāradr̥śā ca samānāḥ ēva vartantē. Ētē sarvē cētanā-tarka-śaktibhyāṁ susampannāḥ santi. Api ca, sarvē’pi bandhutva-bhāvanayā parasparaṁ vyavaharantu."
Universal Declaration of Human Rights, Article 1. (in english and sanskrit)

Return to “Sūtra Studies”