Medicine Buddha Sutra translated from Tibetan?

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
sherabzangpo

Medicine Buddha Sutra translated from Tibetan?

Post by sherabzangpo »

Is there a translation of the Medicine Buddha Sutra from Tibetan? I recently translated the "Concise Medicine Buddha Sutra" [sman mdo bsdus pa], but I'm not sure if the larger/main one has been translated or not. It's name in Tibetan is 'phags pa de bzhin gshegs pa bdun gyi sngon gyi smon lam gyi khyad par rgyas pa, concerning the special characteristics of the previous aspirations of the Seven Medicine Buddhas.

E
gloriasteinem

Re: Medicine Buddha Sutra translated from Tibetan?

Post by gloriasteinem »

Can you please provide a link of your translation, I generaly interested in medical topics
Tenpa2010

Post by Tenpa2010 »

Can you plz put the Tibetan text [sman mdo bsdus pa] here?
sherabzangpo

Post by sherabzangpo »

Here is the link to my translation of the Concise Medicine Buddha Sutra:

http://sugatagarbhatranslations.com/201 ... dha-sutra/
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

sherabzangpo wrote:Here is the link to my translation of the Concise Medicine Buddha Sutra:

http://sugatagarbhatranslations.com/201 ... dha-sutra/

One observation:

In Tibetan Materia Medica Vaidurya is not lapis lazuli , it is sapphire, and more specifically star sapphire (which accounts for the checkerboard pattern of the ground in refuge visualizations.

There are blue, white and yellow Vaiduryas. There can never be a white or a yellow Lapis.

Lapis on the other thand is very clearly the stone called mu men (མུ་མེན). Please consult འཁྲུངས་དཔེ་དྲི་མེད་ཤེལ་གྱི་མེ་ལོན་ -- this is the standard text reference for materia medica used in Tibetan Medical colleges.

Your reference about beryl is possible, but not definitive.

I should also add, that the word is a generic name for gems that are very shiny and catch light in very specific ways, for example, cat's eye (chrysoberyl) is also called Vaidurya.

Here however it is བཻདུརྱ་སྔོན་པོ༷, which is in fact star sapphire, as opposed to the more common indranila, regular blue sapphire.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

The Noble Great Vehicle Sūtra “The Detailed Account of the Previous Aspirations of the Blessed Bhaiṣajya­guru­vaiḍūrya­prabha”

https://read.84000.co/translation/toh504.html
Summary wrote:The Detailed Account of the Previous Aspirations of the Blessed Bhaiṣajya­guru­vaiḍūrya­prabha centers on the figure commonly known as the Medicine Buddha. The text opens in Vaiśālī, where the Buddha Śākyamuni is seated with a large retinue of human and divine beings. The bodhisattva Mañjuśrī asks Śākyamuni to teach the names and previous aspirations of the buddhas, along with the benefit that buddhas can bring during future times when the Dharma has nearly disappeared. The Buddha gives a teaching on the name and previous aspirations of the Buddha Bhaiṣajya­guru­vaiḍūrya­prabha, and then details the benefits that arise from hearing and retaining this buddha’s name.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།

Return to “Sūtra Studies”