Gaṇḍavyuha Sutra coming 10/27/21

Discuss and learn about the traditional Mahayana scriptures, without assuming that any one school ‘owns’ the only correct interpretation.
Malcolm

Gaṇḍavyuha Sutra coming 10/27/21

Post by Malcolm »

https://84000.co/the-stem-array?fbclid= ... 9tLvjNWJQE

The Stem Array | A sūtra that “overwhelms the mind”
The Stem Array, which tells the beautiful story of the young layman Sudhana’s quest for awakening through encounters with a variety of spiritual teachers, forms the forty-fifth and final chapter of the Buddhāvataṃsaka (A Multitude of Buddhas) Sūtra. We recently sat down for an interview with Peter Alan Roberts, the translator of this text, to hear more about his experience of translating what he calls a sūtra that “overwhelms the mind.”

This sūtra will be published on the auspicious day of Lhabab Düchen, October 27, 2021...

Peter Allen Roberts is simply one of the best Buddhist translators alive.
Norwegian

Re: Gaṇḍavyuha Sutra coming 10/27/21

Post by Norwegian »

Great news! Looking forward to this.
udawa

Post by udawa »

That is news indeed! How wonderful. I really like PA Roberts' translations so that's another plus.
Not sure about Stem Array as a translation of the title though. Presumably it's more accurate than Flower Garland or whatever, but it doesn't seem to mean anything as a phrase in English. Any thoughts on this?
Edwards: You are a philosopher. Dr Johnson: I have tried too in my time to be a philosopher; but, I don't know how, cheerfulness was always breaking in.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

udawa wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:17 pm That is news indeed! How wonderful. I really like PA Roberts' translations so that's another plus.
Not sure about Stem Array as a translation of the title though. Presumably it's more accurate than Flower Garland or whatever, but it doesn't seem to mean anything as a phrase in English. Any thoughts on this?
Peter: The title The Stem Array is a translation of the Tibetan interpretation of the Sanskrit title Gaṇḍavyūha, though I think its original meaning is probably something more like, “an array of episodes.”
Leo Rivers

Post by Leo Rivers »

:thanks: :reading: Thanks! Both the Entry into Reality and Avatamsaka are too expensive for me!
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

Malcolm wrote: Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:35 pm Peter Allen Roberts is simply one of the best Buddhist translators alive.
Thanks for the advice. I will look him up.

Return to “Sūtra Studies”