Spirit possession and/or harrassment

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Jotham

Spirit possession and/or harrassment

Post by Jotham »

I came across this episode in the book "A Saint in Seattle" where the late Dezheng Rinpoche recognized that a girl was possessed and harrassed by a spirit. My questions are:

(a) How do we recognize that a person is possessed and/or harrassed by spirits and not mental problem (like hallucination)?

(b) What should or can we do to ward off or chase off these spirits?
Malcolm

Re: Spirit possession and/or harrassment

Post by Malcolm »

Jotham wrote:I came across this episode in the book "A Saint in Seattle" where the late Dezheng Rinpoche recognized that a girl was possessed and harrassed by a spirit. My questions are:

(a) How do we recognize that a person is possessed and/or harrassed by spirits and not mental problem (like hallucination)?

(b) What should or can we do to ward off or chase off these spirits?
As for (a), (a) can be both. People who have mental illness are more liable to spirit attacks; people suffering from spirit attacks are more liable to have mental illness as a result.

Second, for ordinary people, Tibetan astrology is the best method for recognizing what type of spirit and the required rite for driving it off.

One simple thing one can do is burn guggulu in one's house. One can do a so called "gegs tor" rite usually found in the beginning of a sadhana, especially nyingma sadhanas.

N
"Nonduality is merely a name;
that name does not exist."
—Kotalipa
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

From the POV of chod, the best way to ward off attacks from spirits is to remain free from hope and fear. If that's not possible, there are many practices in Tibetan Buddhism for protecting against and alleviating attacks by spirits, including certain mantra and yidam practices, various charms and yantra, ka-tor and geg-tor offerings, erecting a vajra gur or tent, making other offerings to potentially disturbing spirits to repay karmic debts, such as chod and sur, and, if push comes to shove, full-scale wrathful liberation practices. "Demonology" is a very vast and well-developed part of Tibetan Buddhism and covers all aspects of prevention, diagnosis, and treatment.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Another question one might ask is, "is that just a load of garbage?"
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook develops outward insight.
username

Post by username »

Many ordinary people and practitioners (beginner to advanced) are bothered by or house or are drained or semi possessed by the numerous sub-categories of the eight classes for various reasons. Some cases of: mental illness, addictions, certain views and habits, lack of will or alertness/mindfulness, nervousness etc. can be two way partners to them as Namdrol said. They will be discovered as they have been elsewhere in the numerous worlds in the universe where technology is light years ahead. Meanwhile dismissing them is an act of ignorance at one's own risk.
Dzogchen masters I know say: 1)Buddhist religion essence is Dzogchen 2)Religions are positive by intent/fruit 3)Any method's OK unless: breaking Dzogchen vows, mixed as syncretic (Milanese Soup) 4)Don't join mandalas of opponents of Dalai Lama/Padmasambhava: False Deity inventors by encouraging victims 5)Don't debate Ati with others 6)Don't discuss Ati practices online 7) A master told his old disciple: no one's to discuss his teaching with some others on a former forum nor mention him. Publicity's OK, questions are asked from masters/set teachers in person/email/non-public forums~Best wishes
Pero

Post by Pero »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:Another question one might ask is, "is that just a load of garbage?"
You just said that because you're possessed. :D
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

pemachophel wrote:From the POV of chod, the best way to ward off attacks from spirits is to remain free from hope and fear..
Yes and no -- virtually all illnesses have a accompanying demonic component.
—Kotalipa
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

Namdrol wrote:
pemachophel wrote:From the POV of chod, the best way to ward off attacks from spirits is to remain free from hope and fear..
srsly?
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

gnegirl wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
srsly?

Seriously.
—Kotalipa
Virgo
Former staff member

Post by Virgo »

gnegirl wrote:
Namdrol wrote:
srsly?
catmoon
Former staff member

Post by catmoon »

PadmaVonSamba wrote:Another question one might ask is, "is that just a load of garbage?"

Gee you took the words right out of my..... OMG you have possessed me! AAAAAAAAAAaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.......
Sergeant Schultz knew everything there was to know.
himalayanspirit

Post by himalayanspirit »

I lack attention and my will power is quite weak. I am usually not able to sustain interest in worldly affairs - job, study etc.

Am I being possessed by a spirit?
Will reciting the Amitabha name ward off the spirits?

Thank you.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

himalayanspirit wrote:I lack attention and my will power is quite weak. I am usually not able to sustain interest in worldly affairs - job, study etc.

Am I being possessed by a spirit?
Will reciting the Amitabha name ward off the spirits?

Thank you.
You should go to a Tibetan astrologer or have a divination done for example, by Lama Dawa.

N
—Kotalipa
uslic001

Post by uslic001 »

Lama Dawa has suspended divination's per his website except in emergencies.

Bryan
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

uslic001 wrote:Lama Dawa has suspended divination's per his website except in emergencies.

Bryan
Good to know. Thanks.
—Kotalipa
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

See the thread on Ten-zhuk for Lama Dawa.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Nosta

Post by Nosta »

On other thread where i asked the same, i learnt that Surangama Sutra (or the surangama Mantra... i am confused) scares spirits. So read it for someone who is being harassed by spirits. Or you can play it from youtube i suppose!

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”