Logic of multiplication dates

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Pero

Re: Logic of multiplication dates

Post by Pero »

Adamantine wrote:Some say the whole month is a multiplication month, but I don't know the source.. The Rigpa calendar does not mention this. Disregarding previous years, this year the month of Saga Dawa began with a solar eclipse on the new moon, has an eclipse again on the full moon of Saga Dawa Duchen and then the month closes with yet another eclipse. According to even western astrology these periods between eclipses are extremely powerful transitional times, and more people die during these times than any others because people who have weak life force have a hard time withstanding the power of the transition. From Indian traditional perspective like in the link above eclipses only have negative connotation but through tantric practice can be harnessed and channeled for powerful positive effect. I've also heard them described as simply raw power that can be directed to good or bad effect.

The fourth month is also in the northern equatorial the ascending period of the summer ---> the peak season of heat and growth. It is to the 365 day long solar cycle what the 10th day is to the lunar cycle ----still building, but not quite full, it demarcates the expression of fulfilling potential in a yang or masculine form. I am just imagining some reasons why the fourth month in particular may have some special significance in the yearly cycle. Perhaps it is worth asking a Tibetan astrologer though.
I see, that's interesting.
Although many individuals in this age appear to be merely indulging their worldly desires, one does not have the capacity to judge them, so it is best to train in pure vision.
- Shabkar
narraboth

Post by narraboth »

In sutra, there are several days in each month mentioned: full moon, new moon, 8th etc, people are suggested to do nyu nel at those days. Buddha didn't say one's karma will increase on those days. But one sutra says bodhisattva should 'respect' those auspicious days and avoid negative behaviors.

for 'four holy days', it's said that Atisha taught it.
The early version is: miracle month/ 1st to 15th of first month (not 1st to 30th), triple exellency day/ 15th of fourth month, first turning dharma wheel day/ 4th or sixth month, and back from the heaven day / 22nd of 9th month.
plus all solar and lunar elicpse.

and then you got people say more and more days which merit and negativity would be 'multiplicated':
some people say the whole first month count, then the whole fourth month count, third month is kalachakra month, and 9th month is 'minor miracle month'.... every 1st, 8th, 10th, 15th, 25th, 30th are all multipicated.... I remember in a chinese buddhism forum someone asked: 'so now which day is not multiplicated?'

I personally only mark the original atisha version on my tibetan calendar, plus great masters' memorial days. It's said in kalachakra tantra that if we do puja on great guru's passing day, there will be great benefit. On the time of eclipse there are practices could be done, which is described in dzogchen and kalachakra tantra. All those are enough to keep me busy. I still try to respect all lunar auspicious days such as 8th, 15th and 30th, and ofcourse 10th and 25th, just for good interdependence rather than thinking of multiplication.
gnegirl

Post by gnegirl »

On that note, Saturday is Guru Rinpoche day :)
"Things are not what they appear to be: nor are they otherwise." --Surangama Sutra

Phenomenon, vast as space, dharmata is your base, arising and falling like ocean tide cycles, why do i cling to your illusion of unceasing changlessness?
Toenail

Post by Toenail »

bump on the occasion of Lhabab Duchen.

I dont think there is a logical explanation for this that can be supported by valid buddhist scriptures. I also have heard that on special days like Medicine Buddha day Devas visit the earth and watch the humans and rejoice in any dharma practice. It is written that if you rejoice in someone elses good deeds you gain the same amount of merit. If there are countless devas watching you performing virtuous deeds on special days, theoretically the merit is 'multiplied' when they rejoice. It is their action then though, I dont think your karma multiplies from it. Or maybe if you know about it and you do it with the intention to benefit the devas by giving them the opportunity to rejoice. Some teachers where I think they possess clairvoyant ability and very deep samadhi like Ajahn Achalo state that Devas visit the human realm sometimes and rejoice in virtuous actions, so I personally think there is some possibility that something about it is true. But I dont think it is possible for astrology etc to multiply karma somehow.
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I had experimented teachings or ceremony can become very powerful with something special when they are dedicated to some people who left this world. When it is dedicated to a master, it was even more powerful, conducting to strong perceptions.

I think it is the same logic here. If you live this day as any day, it is a normal day.

But if you connect to the meaning of the day, of the even being celebrated, and associate your practice and actions with it, you generate something special.

The event celebrated is like a door, a gate opening. If you connect with the flow of blessings, if your river of action melt with the waterfall of divine energy flowing, then you are part of something very deep and everyone benefits from it.
Tenma

Post by Tenma »

Pero wrote: Thu Jun 09, 2011 5:26 am
Adamantine wrote:Well if it's purely a faith based thing than it's kind
of embarrassing to discuss with anyone outside
of the most hard-line devout. But it's widely
advertised among Dharma centers in the west and
Tibetan calendars, so I was hoping there was at
least some explanatory basis...
Yes well for me it's not something I take very seriously. I see no logical reason for anyone's karma who is not a Buddhist to be affected in any way. In particular it doesn't make sense that some dude 2600 years ago did something and now everyone in the universe has karma multiplied because of it. If it were true then the Buddha basically pulled a fast one on us and screwed practically all sentient beings.

Full moons etc. are a different matter. Don't know how exactly it works but the effect of the moon is undeniable.
Lmao I don’t know why I’m defending this but I guess I’ll have a go at this theological matter. :tongue:

What if these multiplication days are the reason why so many sentient beings are in the lower realms? There are only around 7 billion humans and trillions beyond trillions of animals, insects, and so forth in comparison (One can only imagine how many more sentient beings reside in the hells and hungry ghost realms as a consequence). It should be noted that taking a human rebirth is a very rare thing to take for your average sentient being so keeping that in mind, perhaps many sentient beings are animals or in the lower realms because so many sentient beings have been degenerate and sinful, the multiplication day occasions being a huge pain-in-the-a** factor that screws them up!

https://www.smbc-comics.com/comic/christian-science

That, or syncretism of a bunch of faiths!

Also, the moon has a gravitational effect on the tides and also is a reason to how certain creature of the seas and land such as sea urchins mate on such days.
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
gb9810

Post by gb9810 »

0 x N = 0
:woohoo:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”