1/19/22 Buddha Nature discussion

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Schrödinger’s Yidam

1/19/22 Buddha Nature discussion

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Here’s an event with an expert in his field: he’s a lharampa geshe, with a B.A. in philosophy, a PhD. In religious studies. and is sometimes a translator for HHDL. (I’d hate to see his student loan balance.)

Anyway it’s free and it will probably touch on issues that have been discussed here.
https://tsadra.bmetrack.com/c/v?e=13B ... 8GG0Zxj9
Please join us on Zoom or Facebook live on Saturday, January 29th at
9:00 AM Eastern Standard Time
(3:00 PM CET, 8:00 PM Bhutan)

Emptiness and Buddha-Nature: A Creative Tension Between Two Fundamental Concepts of Mahayana Thought
with Dr. Thupten Jinpa Langri

Please join us online for a very special event at the start of 2022 with the world-renowned speaker, author, and translator, Dr. Thupten Jinpa.

Geshe Dr. Thupten Jinpa and Lopon Dr. Karma Phuntsho will discuss the creative tension between emptiness and buddha-nature, covering many key concepts in Buddhist thought. They will also take questions from the audience so don't miss out on this precious opportunity!

Thupten Jinpa is a former Tibetan monk and a Geshe Lharampa with B.A. in philosophy and a Ph.D. in religious studies, both from Cambridge University. Since 1985, he has been the principal English translator to H.H. the Dalai Lama and has translated and edited numerous books by the Dalai Lama, including the New York Times Bestsellers Ethics for the New Millennium and The Art of Happiness. Jinpa’s own publications include works in Tibetan, English translations as well as books, the latest being Tsongkhapa: A Buddha in the Land of Snows and Illuminating the Intent, a translation of Je Tsongkhapa's commentary on Entering the Middle Way. Jinpa is the general series editor of the 32-volume Bod kyi tsug lag gces btus series, whose translations are published in English as The Library of Tibetan Classics. His current projects include the editing of classical Indian Buddhist texts from Tengyur for a special anthology known as Rgya gzhung gnad che bdam bsgrigs (Selected Indian Buddhist treaties). He is the main author of CCT (Compassion Cultivation Training), an eight-week formal program developed at Stanford University, and co-founder and president of the Compassion Institute. He is the Chair of Mind and Life Institute, founder of the Institute of Tibetan Classics, and an adjunct professor at the School of Religious Studies at McGill University. Jinpa lives in Montreal and is married with two daughters.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: 1/19/22 Buddha Nature discussion

Post by Hazel »

At least in prepared material, Dr. Thupten Jinpa Langri is one of the most well spoken people I've come across and just oozes wisdom. I solidly recommend people check him out.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”