Lung for all the others texts

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ManiThePainter

Lung for all the others texts

Post by ManiThePainter »

I few days ago I replied to a thread here, encouraging someone to read Nagarjuna’s mulamadhyamakakarika. It suddenly struck me that I just assumed that the Indian shastras were fair game for reading without any transmission.

I know there’s a lot of threads on the need for lung and empowerment before reading anything related to Dzogchen and HYT, but what about the Uttaratantrashastra, the Madhyamakavatara or the Bodhicharyavatara? What about Tibetan texts, such as WOMPT, Mipham’s Beacon of Certainty or Kunzang Pelden’s commentary “Drops of Nectar?”

Should we receive transmissions for all of these before reading them? This horse might have been beaten to death already but I was unable to find any answer to this question.
"Don't mind me, just trying to find the nearest exit"
- someone stuck in Samsara... or maybe lost in Walmart
zerwe

Re: Lung for all the others texts

Post by zerwe »

Personally, I don't think so and have never been directed to do so. However, I have recieved the lung for texts (much shorter ones) and I feel like there could be some benefit to receiving the lung for texts like the ones you have mentioned. What that is precisely I don't know.

Shaun :namaste:
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Before oral transmission for the Bodhisattvacharyavatara was given to us a few months back, we were told that receiving a lung for a text permits (?) us to read commentaries for the root text, so since then I've been of the understanding that commentaries are off-limit unless you receive transmission for root texts.
With the wisdom of threefold purity, dedicate all the virtue gained from having made such effort toward enlightenment. Dedicate it to clear away the suffering of infinite beings. This is the way of a Bodhisattva.
Gyalsé Ngulchu Tokmé (རྒྱལ་སྲས་དངུལ་ཆུ་ཐོགས་མེད་), The Thirty-Seven Practices of All the Bodhisattvas
Varis

Post by Varis »

Lung is sometimes given as a formality for those texts. You don't need them, they're not tantric.
"I have never encountered a person who committed bad deeds." ― Ven. Jìngkōng
heart

Post by heart »

Varis wrote: Tue Jan 18, 2022 3:24 pm Lung is sometimes given as a formality for those texts. You don't need them, they're not tantric.
You need the lung if you are going to give others lung for these texts.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”