Tips on entry-level visualization

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
wei wu wei

Tips on entry-level visualization

Post by wei wu wei »

I haven't received any special teaching or empowerments and would say that my familiarity with Vajrayana is pretty slim, but I regularly read, even in entry-level books (for example, How To See Yourself As You Truly Are, HHDL) about the benefits of practicing stabilization meditation via guru visualization. Over the last two years, I've gotten better at it but still find it deceptively difficult and sometimes just end up giving up and going back to watching my breath.

A couple of things I run into: not being familiar enough with my chosen meditation deity (Manjurshri) to really be able to visualize anything in detail; when I am able to, it's pretty diffuse and non-specific; sometimes no feelings associated with it--like it takes so much effort to visualize that there's no emotive component; my imagination doing silly things, like seeing the deity wave casually to me.

I heard Karl Brunnholzl, in a recent interview with Wisdom, saying that, in fact, he thinks the whole term "visualization" is misleading--that it's not so much about imagining insanely detailed levels of imagery but more about evoking the feeling associated with a deity--wisdom, compassion, etc. That's a whole different spin.

At any rate, those of you with more practice, what are some things that helped you along?

Thanks!
Inedible

Re: Tips on entry-level visualization

Post by Inedible »

Start with the eyes. That way you feel the Deity looking back at you from the beginning.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

You have outgrown what reading alone can help you with. Once you know the basic vocabulary and concepts, it's time to seek consistent live teachings and eventually learn to rely on one or more teachers. Then you can bring practice questions to the teacher and confidently walk the path.

I'm still learning to rely on a teacher, but when I succeed it bares fruits. When I don't, I just get confused and waste time.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

wei wu wei wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 2:31 am I haven't received any special teaching or empowerments and would say that my familiarity with Vajrayana is pretty slim, but I regularly read, even in entry-level books (for example, How To See Yourself As You Truly Are, HHDL) about the benefits of practicing stabilization meditation via guru visualization. Over the last two years, I've gotten better at it but still find it deceptively difficult and sometimes just end up giving up and going back to watching my breath.

A couple of things I run into: not being familiar enough with my chosen meditation deity (Manjurshri) to really be able to visualize anything in detail; when I am able to, it's pretty diffuse and non-specific; sometimes no feelings associated with it--like it takes so much effort to visualize that there's no emotive component; my imagination doing silly things, like seeing the deity wave casually to me.

I heard Karl Brunnholzl, in a recent interview with Wisdom, saying that, in fact, he thinks the whole term "visualization" is misleading--that it's not so much about imagining insanely detailed levels of imagery but more about evoking the feeling associated with a deity--wisdom, compassion, etc. That's a whole different spin.

At any rate, those of you with more practice, what are some things that helped you along?

Thanks!
Pick an object, any object (if it is a holy object, great. If not, that's ok too.) and stick with it.

Shaun :namaste:
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Post by Schrödinger’s Yidam »

Clarity of visualization is to be cultivated, but it isn’t the only factor. And you don’t “evoke” the results. You’re not talking yourself into some kind of a mood.

Here’s an analogy I like. The deity is like a light switch, and the meditator is like the light bulb. The point is to flip the switch.

Poor Karl. O and 2.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
2. I support Mingyur R and HHDL in their positions against lama abuse.
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Schrödinger’s Yidam

When I was complaining to my teacher about my inability to visualize, he asked me a question. He asked if the doorknob on my front door was on the left or the right. I answered “the right”. He told that I obviously had no problem visualizing since I had to visualize my front door in order to answer the question.

Duh.
1.The problem isn’t ‘ignorance’. The problem is the mind you have right now. (H.H. Karmapa XVII @NYC 2/4/18)
3. Student: Lama, I thought I might die but then I realized that the 3 Jewels would protect me.
Lama: Even If you had died the 3 Jewels would still have protected you. (DW post by Fortyeightvows)
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

Post by Johnny Dangerous »

If you haven’t had some kind of initiation and/or instructions, you don’t really have a meditational deity, nor a Guru in the Vajrayana sense. That connection comes directly through transmission from teacher(s) and is not something you can get just by some steps listed somewhere.

There are lots of helpful teachings, but I’d encourage you to actually attend initiation or empowerments and get instructions before worrying about them. People can help with little stuff but the connection to the real juice is through the Guru, if that piece isn’t there the rest doesn’t mean that much.

As far as technique yeah, I think there is a place for ‘feel’, but there are also specific instructions on developing clarity etc. which again come with the package of blessings from a Guru and lineage.

Don’t get me wrong, there are all kinds of worthwhile meditation pursuits outside Vajrayana, but if you want to learn Vajrayana methods you need to practice it according to the traditional instructions , they aren’t importable to an eclectic practice really.

There are a few unrestricted sadhana out there, you might try Lord of Love by Bokar Rinpoche for starters. Just trying to visualize Manjushri though, is maybe not so productive unless you actually received these instructions from somewhere.
Meditate upon Bodhicitta when afflicted by disease

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when sad

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when suffering occurs

Meditate upon Bodhicitta when you are scared

-Khunu Lama
wei wu wei

Post by wei wu wei »

Inedible wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:27 am Start with the eyes. That way you feel the Deity looking back at you from the beginning.
This is a nice grounding point, thank you.
wei wu wei

Post by wei wu wei »

Hazel wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:29 am You have outgrown what reading alone can help you with. Once you know the basic vocabulary and concepts, it's time to seek consistent live teachings and eventually learn to rely on one or more teachers. Then you can bring practice questions to the teacher and confidently walk the path.

I'm still learning to rely on a teacher, but when I succeed it bares fruits. When I don't, I just get confused and waste time.

I do attend a local Tibetan Buddhist center as often as I can (which isn't much), where there is a qualified lama, but I have yet to sort out how to get personal instruction/establish a more personal relationship. As it's a Tibetan college, I think his first priority are the enrolled students there. But I totally agree that now is the time I need more direct guidance.
wei wu wei

Post by wei wu wei »

Schrödinger’s Yidam wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 5:22 am When I was complaining to my teacher about my inability to visualize, he asked me a question. He asked if the doorknob on my front door was on the left or the right. I answered “the right”. He told that I obviously had no problem visualizing since I had to visualize my front door in order to answer the question.

Duh.
Yes, no question I can visualize many things, but usually the raw material of those visualizations is very *familiar*: people, places, objects that are in my daily life. When I try to visualize a deity, I'm met with all sorts of unusual things: should this deity be as if alive, completely a replication of an image/statue, what does it actually look like in details, etc, and all the problems I mention in the OP.
wei wu wei

Post by wei wu wei »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 am If you haven’t had some kind of initiation and/or instructions, you don’t really have a meditational deity, nor a Guru in the Vajrayana sense. That connection comes directly through transmission from teacher(s) and is not something you can get just by some steps listed somewhere.

There are lots of helpful teachings, but I’d encourage you to actually attend initiation or empowerments and get instructions before worrying about them. People can help with little stuff but the connection to the real juice is through the Guru, if that piece isn’t there the rest doesn’t mean that much.

As far as technique yeah, I think there is a place for ‘feel’, but there are also specific instructions on developing clarity etc. which again come with the package of blessings from a Guru and lineage.

Don’t get me wrong, there are all kinds of worthwhile meditation pursuits outside Vajrayana, but if you want to learn Vajrayana methods you need to practice it according to the traditional instructions , they aren’t importable to an eclectic practice really.

There are a few unrestricted sadhana out there, you might try Lord of Love by Bokar Rinpoche for starters. Just trying to visualize Manjushri though, is maybe not so productive unless you actually received these instructions from somewhere.
No doubt what I'm doing is an entry-level practice, and, when appropriate, I'd like to receive empowerment/initiations/personal instructions, but I've read enough and attended enough guided meditations at the local Tibetan Buddhist center to know that they are generally instructing the public on how to do basic deity yoga, so I don't think it's off the rails for me to practice this--though I acknowledge that it is a very lite-version of the real deal.
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Well, my first thought was what was mentioned above; if you haven't received an empowerment you aren't practicing vajrayana.

But, it sounds like you do have a group and a teacher and are doing visualization practices that you have been taught and given permission for so, I have great advice!

In re: your second point. The level of detail required of the visualization depends in part on the practice and what type of practice it is (eg kriya, maha, anu etc.); but the main thing is to keep doing it and you'll develop the skill. That's not the advice, but it's important to know and not to worry about it. In regards to the essential points for your particular practice (how important specific detailed aspects are, etc.) its important to ask your lama, but the process starts the same regardless.

The advice is to get either a thangka or picture of the meditational deity (or guru, etc) and practice visualizing while staring at it (eyes open).
You probably already have one, and this can seem to fall in to the "no sh!t" category, but don't dismiss it, this is a very important meditational support that should really be leaned in to.
It's possible that you (as I) might have some reservations about keeping your eyes open while visualizing; if so I highly recommend just doing it anyways, you may well be surprised how effective it is.
The alternative, although eye's open is recommended, is to have the picture or thangka in front of you and go back and forth between staring at it and eyes closed visualization. For example, stare at the picture for a mala and then close your eyes for a mala. Or practice with closed eyes until you realize your visualization is slipping.

You can start with one aspect, such as the face or eyes and do a mala, or a session, or several sessions on it and then move on to various aspects. That can be done in conjunction with either of the above.
Yes, no question I can visualize many things, but usually the raw material of those visualizations is very *familiar*: people, places, objects that are in my daily life. When I try to visualize a deity, I'm met with all sorts of unusual things: should this deity be as if alive, completely a replication of an image/statue, what does it actually look like in details, etc, and all the problems I mention in the OP.
Those are valid questions, and they have answers (for example the deity should be visualized as if made of light, not solid, and should be living not as a statue or painting, even though those are the supports) but it's also something that you don't need to worry about; as you continue to practice you will have many experiences and these things will take care of themselves.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

wei wu wei wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 4:47 pm
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:16 am If you haven’t had some kind of initiation and/or instructions, you don’t really have a meditational deity, nor a Guru in the Vajrayana sense. That connection comes directly through transmission from teacher(s) and is not something you can get just by some steps listed somewhere.

No doubt what I'm doing is an entry-level practice, and, when appropriate, I'd like to receive empowerment/initiations/personal instructions, but I've read enough and attended enough guided meditations at the local Tibetan Buddhist center to know that they are generally instructing the public on how to do basic deity yoga, so I don't think it's off the rails for me to practice this--though I acknowledge that it is a very lite-version of the real deal.
I’m not trying to be dismissive here, but it’s not Vajrayana practice if you have not had an initiation. Entry level or not doesn’t factor in.

Guru Yoga as one example is a Vajrayana specific practice. You can’t practice it without that connection, though could certainly take an aspirational approach.

I can almost guarantee if you asked the Lamas they would give you a somewhat qualified answer about how/what you should do on your own prior to any empowerment or initiation.

In general things like gentle visualization of sending or receiving blessings, chanting unrestricted mantra, etc. seem to be common. Trying to do deity yoga on your own without the requisite empowerment or at least some kind of direct instructions on personal practice would be very unusual, to put it mildly.

So, I would direct your questions to those teachers first and foremost. Particularly if you have already attended group puja etc., the answers you get from those teachers are bound to be much better than what we can give. Particularly if you have practiced a particular sadhana, perhaps the thing to do is ask if you can do that, and get a copy of it.

And I’d again discourage you from trying to get direct pith instructions on visualization from the forum, rather than from those teachers.

Other than that, like I said, check out Lord of Love by Bokar rinpoche. In contains an unrestricted Chenrezig practice and has lots of good advice on visualization.

You can also find resources from groups like FPMT that involve lots of visualization and many of which are unrestricted. This is a much, much safer and smarter approach than trying to ‘free style’ Vajrayana practices oneself , which is a bad idea, and one which I feel pretty confident that the vast majority of Vajryana teachers would advise against.

Btw I am the English umze for a practice group for near nine years now, so I have been in this position, and Ive been in the position of giving what meager ‘instruction’ one can give as a non-teacher. There is a lot of variation, but generally speaking it would be really strange to practice some visualization you’ve pulled from a few remembered experiences at group puja.

Vajrayana Sadhana tend to be somewhat precise in their instructions and trying to remove or isolate some piece without serious familiarity and permission from a close teacher would be seen as…probably unproductive.

When I was in this position I was told I could practice the sadhana prior to initiation, but I was practicing from the beginning with the same Lama and group regularly and was encouraged to get the initiation, which I did. Initiation by a Guru and lineage connection is at the heart of this stuff.

At the very least, respecting the tradition involves getting clarifying information on how you are ton practice *from the people you received teachings from*….even casually.

One piece of general advice I will give is that visualization - especially if we push it too hard- tends to increase discursive thought, so learning to truly relax while maintaining some level of stability and clarity makes a huge difference. How we get there is pretty individualized and again best done with the input of teachers and close Dharma siblings, in my experience.

-Khunu Lama
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Bokar Richpoche's book on Chenreizig is so good!
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
wei wu wei

Post by wei wu wei »

Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:48 pm

I’m not trying to be dismissive here, but it’s not Vajrayana practice if you have not had an initiation. Entry level or not doesn’t factor in.

Guru Yoga as one example is a Vajrayana specific practice. You can’t practice it without that connection, though could certainly take an aspirational approach.

I can almost guarantee if you asked the Lamas they would give you a somewhat qualified answer about how/what you should do on your own prior to any empowerment or initiation.

In general things like gentle visualization of sending or receiving blessings, chanting unrestricted mantra, etc. seem to be common. Trying to do deity yoga on your own without the requisite empowerment or at least some kind of direct instructions on personal practice would be very unusual, to put it mildly.

So, I would direct your questions to those teachers first and foremost. Particularly if you have already attended group puja etc., the answers you get from those teachers are bound to be much better than what we can give. Particularly if you have practiced a particular sadhana, perhaps the thing to do is ask if you can do that, and get a copy of it.

And I’d again discourage you from trying to get direct pith instructions on visualization from the forum, rather than from those teachers.

Other than that, like I said, check out Lord of Love by Bokar rinpoche. In contains an unrestricted Chenrezig practice and has lots of good advice on visualization.

You can also find resources from groups like FPMT that involve lots of visualization and many of which are unrestricted. This is a much, much safer and smarter approach than trying to ‘free style’ Vajrayana practices oneself , which is a bad idea, and one which I feel pretty confident that the vast majority of Vajryana teachers would advise against.

Btw I am the English umze for a practice group for near nine years now, so I have been in this position, and Ive been in the position of giving what meager ‘instruction’ one can give as a non-teacher. There is a lot of variation, but generally speaking it would be really strange to practice some visualization you’ve pulled from a few remembered experiences at group puja.

Vajrayana Sadhana tend to be somewhat precise in their instructions and trying to remove or isolate some piece without serious familiarity and permission from a close teacher would be seen as…probably unproductive.

When I was in this position I was told I could practice the sadhana prior to initiation, but I was practicing from the beginning with the same Lama and group regularly and was encouraged to get the initiation, which I did. Initiation by a Guru and lineage connection is at the heart of this stuff.

At the very least, respecting the tradition involves getting clarifying information on how you are ton practice *from the people you received teachings from*….even casually.

One piece of general advice I will give is that visualization - especially if we push it too hard- tends to increase discursive thought, so learning to truly relax while maintaining some level of stability and clarity makes a huge difference. How we get there is pretty individualized and again best done with the input of teachers and close Dharma siblings, in my experience.

Point taken. I'm definitely not trying to rush into practices I have no business getting into. My baseline was simply advice from HHDL (in terms of meditative stabilization) and a few guided visualization sessions (Tara visualizations) I've experienced at the local center. I extrapolated that it would be appropriate to explore some basic Deity Yoga, but maybe not.

I'll take a look at the book you've recommended.

Thanks
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

wei wu wei wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:02 am Point taken. I'm definitely not trying to rush into practices I have no business getting into. My baseline was simply advice from HHDL (in terms of meditative stabilization) and a few guided visualization sessions (Tara visualizations) I've experienced at the local center. I extrapolated that it would be appropriate to explore some basic Deity Yoga, but maybe not.

Thanks
There's no real need to read anything until you have received an empowerment for a practice you're going to do. At that point it's usually better, at first, to get specific instructions from the lineage whose practice you are doing, because they all have slightly different approaches and emphasis in how to do this, and reading lots of different instructions will just get you confused.

The basic process is: (a) choose the teacher, (b) receive the practice the teacher thinks you should do, (c) practice according to teacher's instructions, (d) return to first step when you have problems or progress.
Hazel
Former staff member

Post by Hazel »

PeterC wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:17 am
wei wu wei wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:02 am Point taken. I'm definitely not trying to rush into practices I have no business getting into. My baseline was simply advice from HHDL (in terms of meditative stabilization) and a few guided visualization sessions (Tara visualizations) I've experienced at the local center. I extrapolated that it would be appropriate to explore some basic Deity Yoga, but maybe not.

Thanks
There's no real need to read anything until you have received an empowerment for a practice you're going to do. At that point it's usually better, at first, to get specific instructions from the lineage whose practice you are doing, because they all have slightly different approaches and emphasis in how to do this, and reading lots of different instructions will just get you confused.

The basic process is: (a) choose the teacher, (b) receive the practice the teacher thinks you should do, (c) practice according to teacher's instructions, (d) return to first step when you have problems or progress.
Is step b ever just transmission and permission and not empowerment?
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
Schrödinger’s Yidam

Chinese Buddhists do visualizations and mantras for deities like Kwan Yin. I think it’s Sutra level practice without empowerment.
Johnny Dangerous
Global Moderator

wei wu wei wrote: Tue Dec 07, 2021 2:02 am
Johnny Dangerous wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:48 pm

Point taken. I'm definitely not trying to rush into practices I have no business getting into. My baseline was simply advice from HHDL (in terms of meditative stabilization) and a few guided visualization sessions (Tara visualizations) I've experienced at the local center. I extrapolated that it would be appropriate to explore some basic Deity Yoga, but maybe not.

Thanks
When I was in the position you are I asked the Lama I practice with and some senior students how to practice visualizing when just reciting unrestricted mantra. They gave me some specific advice, it's just that such advice is so specific to lineage and teacher, it is worth getting directly from those people. This is why I recommended Bokar's book, if you do not have someone to ask questions like this directly at the time, it's a reasonable way to get a kind of overview of how things work.

-Khunu Lama
wei wu wei

Post by wei wu wei »

climb-up wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 8:54 pm Well, my first thought was what was mentioned above; if you haven't received an empowerment you aren't practicing vajrayana.

But, it sounds like you do have a group and a teacher and are doing visualization practices that you have been taught and given permission for so, I have great advice!

In re: your second point. The level of detail required of the visualization depends in part on the practice and what type of practice it is (eg kriya, maha, anu etc.); but the main thing is to keep doing it and you'll develop the skill. That's not the advice, but it's important to know and not to worry about it. In regards to the essential points for your particular practice (how important specific detailed aspects are, etc.) its important to ask your lama, but the process starts the same regardless.

The advice is to get either a thangka or picture of the meditational deity (or guru, etc) and practice visualizing while staring at it (eyes open).
You probably already have one, and this can seem to fall in to the "no sh!t" category, but don't dismiss it, this is a very important meditational support that should really be leaned in to.
It's possible that you (as I) might have some reservations about keeping your eyes open while visualizing; if so I highly recommend just doing it anyways, you may well be surprised how effective it is.
The alternative, although eye's open is recommended, is to have the picture or thangka in front of you and go back and forth between staring at it and eyes closed visualization. For example, stare at the picture for a mala and then close your eyes for a mala. Or practice with closed eyes until you realize your visualization is slipping.

You can start with one aspect, such as the face or eyes and do a mala, or a session, or several sessions on it and then move on to various aspects. That can be done in conjunction with either of the above.

Those are valid questions, and they have answers (for example the deity should be visualized as if made of light, not solid, and should be living not as a statue or painting, even though those are the supports) but it's also something that you don't need to worry about; as you continue to practice you will have many experiences and these things will take care of themselves.
These are all great pointers. It's now beyond question that my first step is really to get directions from a teacher. I'll have to continue to work on that. The local center is a Tibetan Buddhist college, and, while it always has ongoing classes/retreats for the community at large, I've yet to find out how to establish a relationship with the head Lama. COVID hasn't made anything any easier either. I just haven't heard of them offering empowerments for the public.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”