The deeper our Dharma…..

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

The deeper our Dharma…..

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

As it is said, while trying to reach buddhahood, “The deeper our Dharma is, the stronger the obstacles of mara.” If we are able to subdue these obstacles through the compassion of the Three Jewels, the ultimate antidote, they will not affect us.
This is a quote from Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche somebody posted on a Facebook group earlier.

I would like to hear from more experienced practitioners can they relate to this profound statement

The quote comes from Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche’s book Powerful Transformation

Thanks

Konchog
heart

Re: The deeper our Dharma…..

Post by heart »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Sat Dec 04, 2021 1:23 am
As it is said, while trying to reach buddhahood, “The deeper our Dharma is, the stronger the obstacles of mara.” If we are able to subdue these obstacles through the compassion of the Three Jewels, the ultimate antidote, they will not affect us.
This is a quote from Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche somebody posted on a Facebook group earlier.

I would like to hear from more experienced practitioners can they relate to this profound statement

Thanks

Konchog
Yes, it is absolutely true, you can trust Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche. The more subtle the teaching the more problems arise. You need more qualified teacher and you need to have more both courage, intelligence and trust in the Three Jewels and their infinite compassionate display.

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Charlie123

Post by Charlie123 »

Thanks

Konchog
nice topic :thumbsup:
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

It’s very much like any discipline, really. An artist, a musician, a kung-fu master. When you first start. overcoming clumsy mistakes is the beginner’s challenge. Keep up with a practice routine and you’ll make progress.
But when you’ve reached some relative level of accomplishment, when you are a virtuoso or master, the improvements you strive for are much more subtle, more difficult, because now you’ve set the bar higher.
When we begin dharma practice, we easily observe the obvious arising of negative thoughts and distractions, things that are easy to spot, like intense anger. It’s like seeing a giant boulder in the road. But as we progress along the path, it’s the very subtle tricks of ego that cause us to slip up. Our challenges are like tiny bumps on the sidewalk, difficult to spot and easy to trip over.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

:good:
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Thanks

Konchog
I observed this phenomenon long time in my personal live. I heard this idea about 40 years ago from a non-buddhist (kind of hinduist) group.

My conclusion is, yes, it happens that obstacles arise when the track is right. But it possibly is not that simple always.
In my observation very big obstacles can as well be a hint to stop trying this way and better find another track. On the other hand, slight and not lasting obstacles are only a challenge to stick to a decision often.

I mean, it's not smart to try one path without consideration of alternatives like a goat trying to run through a hedge. It gets stuck. If obstacles are overwhelming, this can be a hint to think things over.

Maybe this was only my personal observation, because that hinduist group was not the real thing. No plan ever worked there, I think because they were simply wrong. They told their students to disregard any obstacles and follow the path which was obviously not working. This is how cults act.

So, I think it's smart to face challenges and don't get discouraged too soon, but keep up awareness for reality and context. Never follow blindly without checking.
Natan

Post by Natan »

Thanks

Konchog
My lama said this often... The closer one comes to buddhahood the obstacles get bigger. The key is to know the difference between evenness and an obstacle. One cannot surmount the obstacle if one is caught up in it's roughness.
merilingpa

Post by merilingpa »

Well, think about Shakyamuni the night before he got enlightened. All the demons show up.
Think about Milarepa who wanted to practice alone in retreat when all of a sudden all kinds of people showed up. His sister, now a prostitute, his aunt who was really angry because he killed all her family earlier. All the people he really didnt want to meet! All became his students eventually.
Trungpa taught about this, he called it heightened neurosis. That is, if you are on a path to enlightenenment in this life. Ati stylee. This will happen.
You will need a lot of courage and loyalty and devotion to the path and the teacher to get through it.
I know that it is not popular here to talk about him. But he has some very interesting things to say to westerners I think.
There is a nice book called "Backwards ati" by Ken Friedmann that speaks a lot about this. I recommend it.
PadmaVonSamba

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

merilingpa wrote: Sun Dec 05, 2021 6:18 pm Well, think about Shakyamuni the night before he got enlightened. All the demons show up.
Think about Milarepa who wanted to practice alone in retreat when all of a sudden all kinds of people showed up.
Consider HH Dalai Lama, and the invasion of Tibet.
Now, there’s an obstacle for you.
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

PadmaVonSamba wrote: Mon Dec 06, 2021 11:26 pm Consider HH Dalai Lama, and the invasion of Tibet.
Now, there’s an obstacle for you.
Whenever I get negative about my comparably trivial problems, I remember how the teachers in exile after the invasion handled their situation. If nothing else, it stops me from griping.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Thanks for all the replies

May all obstacles be destroyed

:sage:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”