Shopping in Europe

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lingpupa

Shopping in Europe

Post by Lingpupa »

Shopping! A favourite topic!
A while ago I stocked up on (Shechen) incense, both blue pack and red pack. Since then the wonderful Garuda Trading has shut up shop, and I'm on the penultimate pack. So I've been looking around.
I've found THE-DHARMA-STORE.COM. They look pretty kosher, but before I place an order I wanted to ask if anyone here has bought from them. Can they be trusted? Is the sound impression borne out in practice?
TIA, of course!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
namoh

Re: Shopping in Europe

Post by namoh »

Sadly, not an answer to your question, but I was wondering if anyone knew why Garuda Trading shut down shop. It seemed a bit abrupt.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

namoh wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:39 pm Sadly, not an answer to your question, but I was wondering if anyone knew why Garuda Trading shut down shop. It seemed a bit abrupt.
AFAIK it was at least largely run by a couple. They were getting older (!), looking at retiring, doing more retreat, etc. As one of the (or even simply "the") best sources of beloved dharma-merch outside Asia and the US, I'd guess they sold a lot into the European mainland. So when NASHKAB (the national act of self-harm known as Brexit) struck, it may have seemed that the universe was telling them that it was time to close the shutters.
That's my best guess.
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
namoh

Post by namoh »

Pity, but completely understandable. A real shame. There are Dharma shops, and then there are Dharma shops where people have both the means and the eye to find really beautiful things. The latter are sadly rarer to encounter. I hope they have a wonderful retirement! Thanks for answering.
I’ve ordered some things from Tsongkang.de before, not sure if they would be any help to you. I’m assuming you’re already familiar.
rai

Post by rai »

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

rai wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 9:37 pm https://pinklotus.co.uk
Thanks, Rai. Looks like quite a good place. I didn't spot any precisely identical products, but the prices look in a similar ball park. But unfortunately they don't seem to stock Shechen incense. Also, as I am in mainland Europe, there will be the added hassle, delay and expense caused by the National Act of Self Harm, so unless I hear otherwise soon I'll take a punt on the-dharma-store.com.
All best wishes

Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

I wrote to PinkLotus, who told be exactly what I expected. Due to Brexshit (sorry - the National Act of Self Harm, NASH) shipping to Europe is now subject to added paperwork, added delays and added taxes that the customer has to pay when the goods arrive. In other words, it's only worth buying anything from the UK if you just CAN'T get it anywhere else.
All best wishes

rai

Post by rai »

Lingpupa wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:03 pm I wrote to PinkLotus, who told be exactly what I expected. Due to Brexshit (sorry - the National Act of Self Harm, NASH) shipping to Europe is now subject to added paperwork, added delays and added taxes that the customer has to pay when the goods arrive. In other words, it's only worth buying anything from the UK if you just CAN'T get it anywhere else.
ah ok good to know :/
Kelwin

Post by Kelwin »

My favorite store and place is https://ratnashop.eu/ in Gomde Austria, the sangha of Chokyi Nyima Rinpoche. Quite a nice selection of incense as well. Their products are always the highest standard, but not the cheapest. So I consider anything I buy there to be an offering to the sangha as well.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

I've ordered a beautiful tibetan tea-cup from Dharma-Store.com.
Pretty fast shipping - recommended
Lost In Transmission
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Final news, if anyone is interested. Dharma-Store.com shipped promptly and correctly at a sensible price. It took a little time to arrive, but the shipment spent the last part of its journey in the hands of the Italian Post Office which is far from the sparkiest delivery service on the planet.
That aside, my experience was a full +++.
All best wishes

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”