Oaths of Dorje Drolo

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
ThreeVows

Oaths of Dorje Drolo

Post by ThreeVows »

I’m interested in differing translations of the ‘three terrible oaths’.

I have heard various translations, particularly the third line, but all I can seem to find online right now is:

“Whatever happens; may it happen!
Whichever way it goes; may it go that way!
There is no purpose!”

Thanks for any other translations.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
Kyabje Dilgo Khyentse Rinpoche
treehuggingoctopus

Re: Oaths of Dorje Drolo

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

In case you are not aware of it -- what you quoted comes from a website of a controversial group. (I am not saying they are illegitimate. But surely they tend to be heterodox in some respects.)

I do not know if anything like the oaths of DD exists outside the Aro lineage. Whether it does or not, however, this stuff is wang-related and samaya-bound.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Aryjna

Post by Aryjna »

These sound the same as three statements mentioned in "The Nectar of Manjushri's Speech", a commentary on Bodhicaryavatara. Nothing about Dorje Drolo is mentioned.
Practice earnestly, instead, the ten innermost riches of the Kadampa masters of old and the famous three fierce mantras of the Dharma lord Tsangpa Gyare.
[...]
The three fierce mantras are "Whatever has to happen, let it happen!': "Whatever the situation is, it's fine!", and "I really don't need anything!"
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:14 pm In case you are not aware of it -- what you quoted comes from a website of a controversial group. (I am not saying they are illegitimate. But surely they tend to be heterodox in some respects.)

I do not know if anything like the oaths of DD exists outside the Aro lineage. Whether it does or not, however, this stuff is wang-related and samaya-bound.
I am aware. I'm quite sure the oaths do exist outside of that group, but I can't seem to find any translations apart from theirs.
“Whoever wants to find the wisdom beyond intellect without praying to his guru is like someone waiting for the sun to shine in a cave facing the north. He will never realize appearances and his mind to be one.”
ThreeVows

Post by ThreeVows »

Aryjna wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 2:51 pm These sound the same as three statements mentioned in "The Nectar of Manjushri's Speech", a commentary on Bodhicaryavatara. Nothing about Dorje Drolo is mentioned.
Practice earnestly, instead, the ten innermost riches of the Kadampa masters of old and the famous three fierce mantras of the Dharma lord Tsangpa Gyare.
[...]
The three fierce mantras are "Whatever has to happen, let it happen!': "Whatever the situation is, it's fine!", and "I really don't need anything!"
Ah, that's interesting, that seems a bit easier to process.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”