Difference in Purification- Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Donny

Difference in Purification- Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha

Post by Donny »

Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha are both said to be purification practices. Are there any differences in what and how they purify?

:anjali:
"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
Lingpupa

Re: Difference in Purification- Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha

Post by Lingpupa »

Donny wrote: Sun Oct 24, 2021 6:18 pm Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha are both said to be purification practices. Are there any differences in what and how they purify?

Many practices are purificatory in some way, but I guess you're looking for a short answer:
VS - everything
MB - everything with special emphasis on the causes of disease.
I think it's that simple!
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Inedible

Post by Inedible »

The Medicine Buddha works with ignorance, the cause of all problems. Hearing his name prevents rebirth in lower realms. You don't have to pick one over the other.
Donny

Post by Donny »

Thank you all for your answers! I once asked a Lama about this an his answer was: "No difference between Dorje Sempa and Sangye Menla." But there unfirunately was no time to get deeper into the topic. And ever since i was wondering why Vajrasattva seems - at least to me - to be emphasized more. But it might be tradition etc :smile: Different approaches for different beings

"To the sharp weapons of the demons, you offered delicate flowers in return. When the enraged Devadatta pushed down a boulder to kill you, you practiced silence. Son of the Sakyas, incapable of casting even an angry glance at your enemy, what intelligent person would honor you as a friend for protection from the great enemy, fearful samsara?"
(Gendun Chopel)
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Donny wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 am Thank you all for your answers! I once asked a Lama about this an his answer was: "No difference between Dorje Sempa and Sangye Menla." But there unfirunately was no time to get deeper into the topic. And ever since i was wondering why Vajrasattva seems - at least to me - to be emphasized more. But it might be tradition etc :smile: Different approaches for different beings

It is really because Vajrasattva is the most suitable when it comes to purifying broken samayas.

Both Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha have the same essence, so essentially they are the same. However while Medicine Buddha is a manifestation of healing powers of all buddhas, Vajrasattva is the manifestation of purification power of all buddhas.

But naturally there is no healing without purification and purifcation brings healing. :smile:
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Donny

Post by Donny »

Könchok Thrinley wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 8:11 am
Donny wrote: Wed Oct 27, 2021 7:41 am Thank you all for your answers! I once asked a Lama about this an his answer was: "No difference between Dorje Sempa and Sangye Menla." But there unfirunately was no time to get deeper into the topic. And ever since i was wondering why Vajrasattva seems - at least to me - to be emphasized more. But it might be tradition etc :smile: Different approaches for different beings

It is really because Vajrasattva is the most suitable when it comes to purifying broken samayas.

Both Vajrasattva and Medicine Buddha have the same essence, so essentially they are the same. However while Medicine Buddha is a manifestation of healing powers of all buddhas, Vajrasattva is the manifestation of purification power of all buddhas.

But naturally there is no healing without purification and purifcation brings healing. :smile:
That is a beautiful description. Thank you :anjali:
(Gendun Chopel)

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”