Core Scriptures For Each School

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nalanda

Core Scriptures For Each School

Post by Nalanda »

As I understand it, each school has their own set of core scriptures. The Nyingma have the kama and the terma texts and systems, for instance, with core texts for specific yanas (i.e. the Guhyagarbha tantra as the core Mahayoga text, etc...).

Each lineage within a school has their own core scriptures (i.e. Dudjom sung bum as the collection of texts that make up the Dudjom Tersar).

Have you seen a list somewhere of what each school has as their core Scriptures and what the lineages of teach school uses as their main texts?
Ayu
Global Moderator

Re: Core Scriptures For Each School

Post by Ayu »

Nalanda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 am As I understand it, each school has their own set of core scriptures. The Nyingma have the kama and the terma texts and systems, for instance, with core texts for specific yanas (i.e. the Guhyagarbha tantra as the core Mahayoga text, etc...).

Each lineage within a school has their own core scriptures (i.e. Dudjom sung bum as the collection of texts that make up the Dudjom Tersar).

Have you seen a list somewhere of what each school has as their core Scriptures and what the lineages of teach school uses as their main texts?
From Gelug POV at least, I think it's difficult to single out some few texts as "main", because there are so many branches of teachings. For beginners there are different main texts than for the various vajrayana practitioners.
What is main for one part of the Gelugs may not implicitly be "main" for other practitioners.

But I can name the Lamrim of Tsongkhapa and the Lojong teachings as basic for example.
Lingpupa

Post by Lingpupa »

Nalanda wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:47 am As I understand it, each school has their own set of core scriptures. The Nyingma have the kama and the terma texts and systems, for instance, with core texts for specific yanas (i.e. the Guhyagarbha tantra as the core Mahayoga text, etc...).

I think your understanding is kind of correct and kind of not. Certainly the texts most emphasized differ, at the sutra level a little, on the tantra level much more. Some answers that may come will help you there. But it would be a mistake to make too specific or rigid any list of what you call "core" and simply identify that with one "school". It's much more complex than that. "Schools" have subdivisions; one subdivision may rely heavily on one particular text that is virtually unknown to the next subdivision, on top of which there are overlaps. After all, the "schools" are only convenient labels for groupings that may sometimes be quite clear, but which may also be very loose.

FWIW
All best wishes

"The profundity of your devotion to your lama is not measured by your ability to turn a blind eye."
Ramblings: lunidharma.blogspot.com
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

You might be able to get a curriculum list or something like that for the colleges of major monastic traditions. Apart from that, I don't think you will find a set list. In the Nyingmapa particularly, there are various lists of tantra subgroups, but you already know that.

Oops. The post above said what I was trying to say, but it just came in.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Ayu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:41 am
From Gelug POV at least, I think it's difficult to single out some few texts as "main", because there are so many branches of teachings. For beginners there are different main texts than for the various vajrayana practitioners.
What is main for one part of the Gelugs may not implicitly be "main" for other practitioners.

But I can name the Lamrim of Tsongkhapa and the Lojong teachings as basic for example.
The core scriptures for Geluk are Guhyasamāja, the Prajñāpāramitā sūtras, as well as the works of Nagārjuna father and son, Candra, Haribhadra, and Atisha.

And of course, Tsongkhapa, Gyaltsabje, and Khedrupje.

And more recently, Pabhongkha was and remains prominent.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

I see. :thumbsup:
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

The basic list is pretty simple:

The basic tantra for Sakya and Kagyu is Hevajra. The basic tantra for Geluk is Guhyasamāja. The basic tantra for Nyingma, as you have identified, is Guhyagarbha. The basic tantra for Jonang is Kālacakra.

The monastic curriculum for study is pretty much the same for all schools: Nagārjuna, Candra, Śantideva; the five treatises of Maitreya (in varying degrees); Abhidharma of Vasubandhu and Asanga; the Abhisamayālaṃkara commentaries of Vimuktisena and Haribhadra; Dignaga and Dharmakīrti's epistemology, and the Vinayasūtra of Gunbhadra and commentaries.

In terms of practice cycles: for Sakya it is Hevajra and Naropa's Khecari. For Geluk, Guhyasamāja, Cakrasamvara and Vajrabhairava. For Kagyu, Cakrasamvara and Vajrayogini of various traditions from specific subschool to the next; for Nyingma, too many different practice traditions to mention. Jonang, Kālacakra and the six limb yoga.

Then of course there are many hundreds of practices which wind through all schools. So, it is pretty hard to quantify.
Nalanda

Post by Nalanda »

Thanks Malcolm. Exactly what I was looking for.
iskaral

Post by iskaral »

For gelug my understanding was that yamantaka tends to be first with the other cycles building on top of yamantaka.
Josef

Post by Josef »

iskaral wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:10 pm For gelug my understanding was that yamantaka tends to be first with the other cycles building on top of yamantaka.
Yamantaka is one of the most practiced Yidams but the Guyhasamaja and Cakrasamvara tantras themselves inform the approach to practice.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
Lobsang Chojor

Post by Lobsang Chojor »

iskaral wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:10 pm For gelug my understanding was that yamantaka tends to be first with the other cycles building on top of yamantaka.
The gurus tend to say Yamantaka is very powerful in the modern times as it works with anger which is very common now, and the Solitary Hero form is less complicated than other practices.

That said Guhyasamaja is the main practice of the Gelug lineage, it just has a long sadhana so it's less common in the west, and it is the source of the tantric teachings.
"Morality does not become pure unless darkness is dispelled by the light of wisdom"
  • Aryasura, Paramitasamasa 6.5
ༀ་ཨ་ར་པ་ཙ་ན་དྷཱི༔ Oṃ A Ra Pa Ca Na Dhīḥ
zerwe

Post by zerwe »

Josef wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 11:19 pm
Yamantaka is one of the most practiced Yidams but the Guyhasamaja and Cakrasamvara tantras themselves inform the approach to practice.
Also, due to Pabongkha's influence Vajrayogini (Cakrasamvara) has risen to prominence in Gelug and there is a Tsongkhapa lineage of Six-Yogas of Naropa (I'm not sure how you would categorize--If I remeber correctly, in Mullin's text it is described as a amended/corrected/reconstructed/regathered lineage superimposed on what Tsongkhapa had received. The idea seems to be that aspects of practice had been lost or corrupted and it was an attempt to return it to a complete form?)

Shaun :namaste:
Javierfv1212

Post by Javierfv1212 »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 2:28 pm
Ayu wrote: Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:41 am

The core scriptures for Geluk are Guhyasamāja, the Prajñāpāramitā sūtras, as well as the works of Nagārjuna father and son, Candra, Haribhadra, and Atisha.

And of course, Tsongkhapa, Gyaltsabje, and Khedrupje.

And more recently, Pabhongkha was and remains prominent.
Don't forget the textbooks and also the works of the Dalai Lamas are pretty influential

See: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gelug#M ... _and_texts

There's also the Ganden Manjushri oral cycle of teachings, which is where Lama Chopa comes from. This is super popular.
It is quite impossible to find the Buddha anywhere other than in one's own mind.
A person who is ignorant of this may seek externally,
but how is it possible to find oneself through seeking anywhere other than in oneself?
Someone who seeks their own nature externally is like a fool who, giving a performance in the middle of a crowd, forgets who he is and then seeks everywhere else to find himself.
— Padmasambhava

Visit my site: https://sites.google.com/view/abhayajana/

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”