Why do some lay teachers of Tibetan traditions wear maroon monk robes?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Nicholas2727

Re: Why do some lay teachers of Tibetan traditions wear maroon monk robes?

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:28 pm
Nicholas2727 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 pm
Kind of a side question but what is the difference between the different kind of undershirts (probably not the right word) that monastics wear? I have seen just a solid red, a solid yellow and many like in this picture with the yellow stripe down the middle.
Different types of renunciation.

Virgo
Could you clarify what each type of renunciation is?
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:31 pm
Virgo wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:28 pm
Nicholas2727 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 pm
Kind of a side question but what is the difference between the different kind of undershirts (probably not the right word) that monastics wear? I have seen just a solid red, a solid yellow and many like in this picture with the yellow stripe down the middle.
Different types of renunciation.

Virgo
Could you clarify what each type of renunciation is?
I am sorry Nicholas I was just chiding them for having such seemingly ornate robes.

Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

When I was a monk I did not look in a mirror, even once, not even while shaving, since it is against the vinaya.

Then again, I did not remain a monk for very long.

Virgo
Virgo

Post by Virgo »

In any event, many of these monks are excellent practitioners. Life is difficult when you have two or three paths to reconcile. The monks life, of course, being primarily connected to the path of renunciation. Not to mention the fact that it became a widespread institution in much of the Buddhist world, and served more societal roles than just being a place for renunciates. I respect every single monk highly.

And I am sorry Nicholas, I do not know the reasons for the various colors that are used.

Virgo
jmlee369

Post by jmlee369 »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 pm Kind of a side question but what is the difference between the different kind of undershirts (probably not the right word) that monastics wear? I have seen just a solid red, a solid yellow and many like in this picture with the yellow stripe down the middle.
I mentioned the different colours of the donkha briefly in an earlier post in the thread.
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

jmlee369 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 11:26 pm
Nicholas2727 wrote: Mon Oct 11, 2021 6:22 pm Kind of a side question but what is the difference between the different kind of undershirts (probably not the right word) that monastics wear? I have seen just a solid red, a solid yellow and many like in this picture with the yellow stripe down the middle.
I mentioned the different colours of the donkha briefly in an earlier post in the thread.
Your earlier post seems to be going over the outer robe I was referring to the vest worn under their robe. Unless I misunderstood your post. I was referring to how some monks are seen wearing a red vest, some a yellow vest and some a red vest with the yellow stripe down the middle.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 am
Your earlier post seems to be going over the outer robe I was referring to the vest worn under their robe. Unless I misunderstood your post. I was referring to how some monks are seen wearing a red vest, some a yellow vest and some a red vest with the yellow stripe down the middle.
That’s what Dongkha is, the “vest”, which is actually part of nuns gear in ancient India.
Nicholas2727

Post by Nicholas2727 »

Malcolm wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 2:13 am
Nicholas2727 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 1:58 am

That’s what Dongkha is, the “vest”, which is actually part of nuns gear in ancient India.
I see I misunderstood and thought he was referring to the outer robe. Thank you both for the information

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”