There's a reincarnation of Chogyam Trungpa and emanation of Padmasambhava?

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Padmist

There's a reincarnation of Chogyam Trungpa and emanation of Padmasambhava?

Post by Padmist »

heart

Re: There's a reincarnation of Chogyam Trungpa and emanation of Padmasambhava?

Post by heart »

Padmist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 1:08 am https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_Situpa
Am I reading this right?
Yes, old news. http://konchok.org/all-project-list/sup ... treatants/

/magnus
"We are all here to help each other go through this thing, whatever it is."
~Kurt Vonnegut

"The principal practice is Guruyoga. But we need to understand that any secondary practice combined with Guruyoga becomes a principal practice." ChNNR (Teachings on Thun and Ganapuja)
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

Its a different person?
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

Padmist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:52 am Its a different person?
The Tai Situpas are the supposed emanations of Padamsambhava. The article simply says he recognised Chogyam Trungpa's tulku.
Chenda

Post by Chenda »

So yes, different persons.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Khentin Tai Situpa is a leading figure in the Karma Kagyu lineage. Guru of the 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje. He recognised the 12th Trungpa tulku many years ago. Tai Situpa is considered an emanation of Guru Rinpoche - I don't think he is the only one either. I think many important lamas in the Nyingma and Kagyu schools are considered as such.
This is not the wrong life.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 am
Khentin Tai Situpa is a leading figure in the Karma Kagyu lineage. Guru of the 17th Karmapa Ogyen Trinley Dorje. He recognised the 12th Trungpa tulku many years ago. Tai Situpa is considered an emanation of Guru Rinpoche - I don't think he is the only one either. I think many important lamas in the Nyingma and Kagyu schools are considered as such.
Amitabha, actually, to the Karmapa’s Avalokiteshvara.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:22 am
Knotty Veneer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:49 am
Amitabha, actually, to the Karmapa’s Avalokiteshvara.
No, that's incorrect, Malcolm. Shamar Rinpoche was the emanation of Amitabha to Karmapa's Avalokiteshvara. Situ Rinpoche is seen mainly as an emanation of Maitreya (in addition to Guru Rinpoche). His monastery at Sherab Ling houses a huge Maitreya Buddha rupa in the main shrine room.
SilenceMonkey

Post by SilenceMonkey »

You can see a list of Tai Situ rinpoche’s reincarnations on the Palpung website... It’s an incredible lineage.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:29 am
No, that's incorrect, Malcolm.
ok.
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

So Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche is back?
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Padmist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 7:32 pm So Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche is back?
That depends on how seriously one takes tulku recognitions.
Losal Samten

Post by Losal Samten »

IIRC the last Chogyam Trungpa said he was actually the reincarnation of the previous Trungpa's attendant.
Lacking mindfulness, we commit every wrong. - Nyoshul Khen Rinpoche
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
ཨོཾ་ཧ་ནུ་པྷ་ཤ་བྷ་ར་ཧེ་ཡེ་སྭཱ་ཧཱ།།
ཨཱོཾ་མ་ཏྲི་མུ་ཡེ་སལེ་འདུ།།
Padmist

Post by Padmist »

re: Malcolm on Tulku

So either CTR didn't really reincarnate...

Or we take seriously that there is a Tibetan monk (Choseng) walking around and is actually Chogyam Trungpa.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Padmist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 pm re: Malcolm on Tulku

Or we take seriously that there is a Tibetan monk (Choseng) walking around and is actually Chogyam Trungpa.
I’m not sure if one should really spend too much time worrying about Tulku lineages. But from all reports the current, properly recognized, Zurmang Trungpa tulku is a very serious young monk who spends his time in a remote location on teaching and practice. Perhaps unsurprisingly the students of the previous Trungpa tulku appear to have little interest in supporting him.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Padmist wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:21 pm re: Malcolm on Tulku

Sure, but no one actually knows where.
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

Losal Samten wrote: Thu Sep 23, 2021 8:54 pm
IIRC the last Chogyam Trungpa said he was actually the reincarnation of the previous Trungpa's attendant.
The previous Trungpa Rinpoche said a lot of things - some of which should probably be taken with a hefty pinch of salt.

The current Trungpa seems a safe custodian of his lineage. I know some of his predecessor's students were not happy that a tulku was found in Tibet. I think they forget that Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was only 1 of 11 Trungpa tulkus and, indeed and alas, his family lineage seems to be pretty scandal-prone. While Chogyam Trungpa did much to establish the Dharma in the US, I think the Karma Kagyu lineage holders have been proved right not to entrust the education of the XIIth Trungpa to the XIth Trungpa's US followers.
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Knotty Veneer wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 9:33 am
The previous Trungpa Rinpoche said a lot of things - some of which should probably be taken with a hefty pinch of salt.

The current Trungpa seems a safe custodian of his lineage. I know some of his predecessor's students were not happy that a tulku was found in Tibet. I think they forget that Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche was only 1 of 11 Trungpa tulkus and, indeed and alas, his family lineage seems to be pretty scandal-prone. While Chogyam Trungpa did much to establish the Dharma in the US, I think the Karma Kagyu lineage holders have been proved right not to entrust the education of the XIIth Trungpa to the XIth Trungpa's US followers.
Didn't they show up at his monastery anyway and hold some sort of enthronement ceremony for Mukpo Jr.?

Nobody in their right mind would entrust anyone's education to that group
Knotty Veneer

Post by Knotty Veneer »

PeterC wrote: Fri Sep 24, 2021 10:23 am Didn't they show up at his monastery anyway and hold some sort of enthronement ceremony for Mukpo Jr.?

Nobody in their right mind would entrust anyone's education to that group
I'm not sure - I know Shambhala were late to the party for the XIIth Trungpa (as well as for the 17th Karmapa!). My teacher the late Akong Rinpoche, I believe, was one of his main benefactors for many years (and his organization Rokpa may still be).

Shambhala has little to do with the traditional teachings of the Trungpa lineage and even though some members (and former members like Pema Chodron) practise within the Kagyu tradition to some degree, I think they are their own thing. So while it is good that Shambhala help with some money, their interest is not really with the Trungpa lineage so much as with the teachings specific to the 11th Trungpa. Whether the current Trungpa will take any of those up, we wait to see. I cannot imagine him though requesting a lineage transmission from Osel Mukpo the current holder though, so it's probably unlikely.
Josef

Post by Josef »

That kind of makes a lot of sense.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”