Tara Mandala and their rLung giveaways

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
rupam

Tara Mandala and their rLung giveaways

Post by rupam »

I have a few questions about Tara Mandala and their rLung giveaway which happens every few months via Zoom.
They regularly give three rLungs which are Green Tara from Adzom Drukpa, ChNN's Chod, and Riwo Sang Cho.
I know Riwo Sang cho needs the rLung only to practice it but I'm not sure how they are empowering people to practice Green Tara and Chod with rLung only. ChNN gave direction introduction and then rLungs because the direction introduction was the wang that enabled students to practice any sadhana they receive the lung for. So there was a Wang and vajra relationship formed between ChNN and the students who attended his web teachings. But I don't think Lama Tsultrim Allione at Tara Mandala gives direction introduction prior to the rLungs for the Green Tara and Chod although I know she was authorized by ChNN to give those teachings to others.

My questions are:

1. How is it possible that one can practice the Green Tara of Adzom Drukpa by receiving the rLung only when fourth empowerment is not given together?

2. Do I have a vajra relationship with Lama Tsultrim Allione if I received rLungs from her?
Hazel
Former staff member

Re: Tara Mandala and their rLung giveaways

Post by Hazel »

I believe this can be discussed openly, so I am moving it.

Please correct me if I am wrong.
Happy Pride month to my queer dharma siblings!

What do you see when you turn out the lights?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

ChNN Chod is from the Longchen Nyingthig (a composite of Kusuali tshog from ngondro and Khandro Gye-jang). Neither require wang. In fact, there is no Longchen Nyingthig wang for chod.

Sorry, I, not familiar with that Tara practice so I can't say anything about that.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
nightbloom

Post by nightbloom »

pemachophel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:11 am ChNN Chod is from the Longchen Nyingthig (a composite of Kusuali tshog from ngondro and Khandro Gye-jang). Neither require wang.
Wow. Is that typical for Chod practices in other lineages as well? Lung only?
rupam

Post by rupam »

nightbloom wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 1:12 am
pemachophel wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:11 am ChNN Chod is from the Longchen Nyingthig (a composite of Kusuali tshog from ngondro and Khandro Gye-jang). Neither require wang.
Any Vajrayana practice that contains a yidam practice requires an empowerment at a minimum, including Chod of Dudjom, Gelug, and Do Kyentse. I think ChNN's Chod is different or has no yidam practice in it.
Last edited by rupam on Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

No, you need wang for Dudling Chod f.e. and the Kagyupas give a chod-torwang...
like a Machig Labdron wang.
Lost In Transmission
Josef

Post by Josef »

rupam wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:38 am
Any Vajrayana practice that contains a yidam practice requires an empowerment at a minimum, including Chod of Dudjom, Gelug, and Do Kyentse. I think ChNN's Chod is different or has no yidam practice in it.
You manifest as a yidam in CHNN's chod.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

I believe that the lung given is a different word from rlung, which sounds the same but refers to the winds circulating in the body.

I know that wasn't your question, but I am not smart enough to answer your actual question. I don't know about the lack of empowerments, although I know of several lamas who will give lung to let people practice before they've received initiation.

I do know that you definitely have a vajra relationship with anyone from whom you've receive lung, although not as strong as receiving wang.

FWIW, if you received DI from ChNN then you already have a vajra relationship with lama Tsultrim Allione, because she is your vajra sister...
...presumably receiving lung as well would make for a deeper relation, but I don't know how that works eithers.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
climb-up

Post by climb-up »

Josef wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 3:30 pm
rupam wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 4:38 am

You manifest as a yidam in CHNN's chod.
yeah, I was going to say that too.
I don't think chod would make sense without manifesting as a yidam.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Soma999

Post by Soma999 »

I took the lung, it is a blessings. I advise people interested in those three practice to take it if they can. Tsulltrim Allione is really good and having a connection with her, even if you don’t see her, don’t speak to her... is interesting as she embody herself an authentic connection. Reliance with authentic teachers is a blessing. Even if you don’t follow her specific teaching, she can inspire you in many ways.

There was no question of specific commitments during the lung, except a sincere approach and motivation, if i recall well. It was years ago.

In a chod retreat i did (nothing to do with tara mandala), we had to emerge as Troma Nagmo, there was no initiation. Just a lung and permission.

In another chod practice it was exactly the same.

It seems like it works.

There are also wang for chod practice, of course.
Josef

Post by Josef »

rupam wrote: Tue Sep 21, 2021 12:02 am
My questions are:

1. How is it possible that one can practice the Green Tara of Adzom Drukpa by receiving the rLung only when fourth empowerment is not given together?

2. Do I have a vajra relationship with Lama Tsultrim Allione if I received rLungs from her?
1. It is possible because you received the lung. It is not at all uncommon for the lung to be a transmission that permits one to at least begin a practice.
2. Any time you receive the wang, lung, or tri of a secret mantra practice or text you have this connection.
"All phenomena of samsara depend on the mind, so when the essence of mind is purified, samsara is purified. Since the phenomena of nirvana depend on the pristine consciousness of vidyā, because one remains in the immediacy of vidyā, buddhahood arises on its own. All critical points are summarized with those two." - Longchenpa

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”