washing zendras

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
treehuggingoctopus

washing zendras

Post by treehuggingoctopus »

I have just been told at the dry cleaner's that they can clean my zendras all right, but are fairly sure the maroon will bleed, and what I will pick up in a week will be an immaculately clean and doubtlessly fragrant pink shawl.

They may be right. So the question is, how does one do it?

Please feel free to share your success stories. The two-fold objective is still to clean the striped thing properly while keeping the stripes and preserving their original colours.

Thanks in advance.
Générosité de l’invisible.
Notre gratitude est infinie.
Le critère est l’hospitalité.

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Re: washing zendras

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 4:56 pm I have just been told at the dry cleaner's that they can clean my zendras all right, but are fairly sure the maroon will bleed, and what I will pick up in a week will be an immaculately clean and doubtlessly fragrant pink shawl.

They may be right. So the question is, how does one do it?

Please feel free to share your success stories. The two-fold objective is still to clean the striped thing properly while keeping the stripes and preserving their original colours.

Thanks in advance.
How to take care: The real handmade Raw silk Meditation shawl are stiff to begin with however after many wash it gets softer. The genuine Bureh which means Raw silk in Tibetan and Bhutan needs to be worn a number of times before the silk starts to relax. Some people prefer to give them a cold hand wash to speed up this process, also good idea to add little amount of Vinegar while washing to retain the color from running.
treehuggingoctopus

Thank you, Malcolm!

My summer zendra is silk and pashmina; the winter one is cotton. Since I could afford them, I somehow doubt either is pure silk -- but maybe it does not matter? Maybe vinegar will lock the colours in?

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 5:44 pm Thank you, Malcolm!

My summer zendra is silk and pashmina; the winter one is cotton. Since I could afford them, I somehow doubt either is pure silk -- but maybe it does not matter? Maybe vinegar will lock the colours in?
Use Woolite and cold water. But test small area first to see if it bleeds. The cotton one should not bleed. But test it first.

Cold water to keep the colors bright.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

My bu-re zendra is 50 years old and has never bled. I've only ever washed it in cold water with Woolite like Loppon said.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
treehuggingoctopus

Lamas-la (the plural ending makes it very weird) -- thank you!

Edmond Jabès
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

Don’t wash it let the blood sweat and tears of years of Vajrayana practice saturate it :crying:
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

My (cheap) summer zendra was sold to me as pashmina, but ist is viscose.
Lost In Transmission
treehuggingoctopus

lelopa wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 am

Might be. Have you washed it?

Edmond Jabès
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 pm Don’t wash it let the blood sweat and tears of years of Vajrayana practice saturate it :crying:
Gross.
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 5:43 pm
lelopa wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 7:58 am

Might be. Have you washed it?
No
Lost In Transmission
treehuggingoctopus

Malcolm wrote: Tue Sep 14, 2021 6:07 pm
Konchog Thogme Jampa wrote: Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 pm Don’t wash it let the blood sweat and tears of years of Vajrayana practice saturate it :crying:
Gross.
Our advice-giving friend should just sit next to me and my zendra during a puja. I am fairly sure they would quickly come to appreciate the simple joy of being able to wash one's clothes.
Last edited by Ayu on Wed Sep 15, 2021 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Last sentence edited.

Edmond Jabès
treehuggingoctopus

The winter one has been washed and it is intact.

Cold water, ca. 60 ml of Woolite plus four Rossmann (Domol, the brand is: https://www.rossmann.de/de/haushalt-dom ... 5615736723) tissues that are meant to absorb whatever bleeds over. The tissues are now are pink, which means the colour did bleed, but the white stripe is still white.

Thanks, All!

Edmond Jabès
lelopa

Post by lelopa »

treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:29 pm The winter one has been washed and it is intact.

Cold water, ca. 60 ml of Woolite plus four Rossmann (Domol, the brand is: https://www.rossmann.de/de/haushalt-dom ... 5615736723) tissues that are meant to absorb whatever bleeds over. The tissues are now are pink, which means the colour did bleed, but the white stripe is still white.

Thanks, All!
Schmutzfangtücher? Na sowas!?!

I always thought they are only fragrance-tissues but this makes a little more sense.
Lost In Transmission
treehuggingoctopus

lelopa wrote: Fri Sep 17, 2021 6:30 am
treehuggingoctopus wrote: Thu Sep 16, 2021 6:29 pm The winter one has been washed and it is intact.

Thanks, All!
Schmutzfangtücher? Na sowas!?!

I always thought they are only fragrance-tissues but this makes a little more sense.
I had never really seen them, and if I had, I would not have believed the hype -- had it not been for my mum, who's used them for years and persuaded me to give them a go. She actually suggested I also add copious amounts of vinegar (Woolite + tissues + vinegar...). I did not. The washing machine is very old and very frail.

Edmond Jabès
treehuggingoctopus

6 Rossmann tissues, 60 ml of Woolite and cold water washing machine programme, and again, a resounding success with the summer zendra. EOT.

Edmond Jabès

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”