Question about karma

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Malcolm

Re: Question about karma

Post by Malcolm »

tobes wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 2:13 pm Silence is almost always better.
Well?
tobes

Post by tobes »

Malcolm wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 4:39 pm
tobes wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 5:01 am Another great European philosopher - Kant, probably the greatest - argued that if a murderer comes to your doorstep and asks 'is so and so in your house?' even then, you should not lie!

A very extreme argument. But nonetheless, I'm kind of on board with this: samsara is created by so many subtle little deceptions, half of them dressed up as "morally right."

Undressing, being naked, being 100% honest = Dharma in my book.

Nope. If a hunter asks you which a deer is going, you either say you didn't see any deer or you point him in the opposite direction. Mahāyāna 101. It is totally permissible to lie to prevent someone or some creature from being harmed.
......as I granted with this statement: "I'm not suggesting that Buddhist precepts around speech are the same as Kant's position on lying; there is upaya and karuna to consider."
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

If you lied to save someone’s life the damage to your samaya can be repaired quickly related to the act of lying.

If the person died because you told the truth might take years of reparation through the appropriate practices.

If bodhicitta is strong it will dictate what to do.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”