Mantra recitation as samatha

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Damchö_Dorje

Mantra recitation as samatha

Post by Damchö_Dorje »

I have found before scattered references to mantra as samatha practice. I find this model more germane to my personal circumstances than breath meditations for example.

1) Why does mantra work for samatha?
2) What concentration does mantra render?
3) How does ati guru yoga integrate with samatha?

Please PM if necessary.

Thanks.
climb-up

Re: Mantra recitation as samatha

Post by climb-up »

I'm no expert but I believe

1) Anything can be the focus for shamata. Pure or impure sensory objects, mental objects or awareness
2) I don't understand this one.
3) In the same way as ati guru yoga integrates with eveything else. Any details would be inappropriate here, but I'm not being silly with the answer, we integrate (or, work on inetgrating) everything into guruyoga, shamata is one of those everythings.
"Death's second name is 'omnipresent.' On the relative truth it seems we become separate. But on the absolute there is no separation." Lama Dawa
Danny

Post by Danny »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 pm

1) because the sound of the mantra itself is an expression of the basis.
2) mantra is about activity and function, mantra in the tantras has to be worked out. Those key vocal sounds have to be extracted from the tantra, by the student.
3) guru yoga is holistic totality, khadag and lundrub without partition, not this and that separate.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Damchö_Dorje wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:55 pm

1) because the sound of the mantra itself is a natural diffracted expression of the elements of the basis.
2) mantra is about activity and function, mantra in the tantras has to be worked out. Those key vocal sounds have to be extracted from the tantra, by the student. It means you are focused to do that.
3) guru yoga is holistic totality, khadag and lundrub without partition, not this and that separate.
At a certain point, muttering mantras stops. Caution though, if one is not ready, you kill the deity which is a massive break.

Always do as your guru instructs.
Don’t cheap skate it. Also don’t take what I say as “truth”.
Maybe true for me, but not for you...

That’s karma

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”