Tibetan View of Tendai and Shingon Vajrayana

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Tenma

Re: Tibetan View of Tendai and Shingon Vajrayana

Post by Tenma »

Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm
Dharmalight889 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:13 pm What is the Tibetan view of Tendai and Shingon Vajrayana? I know the practices may be different, although do Tibetan's view the other paths as an authentic way to reach Buddhahood in one lifetime?
There is no view because traditionally, Tibetans were unaware of what was happening in Japan. However, in modern times HH Sakya Trizen had opportunity to discuss this with senior Shingon leaders, and they found no essential difference in how yoga tantra is practiced in Tibet and Japan.
Do you know where I can find more on this or the source for it? Thanks!
འ༔ ཨ༔ ཧ༔ ཤ༔ ས༔ མ༔
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Malcolm wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:24 pm
Giovanni wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 1:20 pm What a very interesting thread…so what about the fruits of these practices? Are there for example records of attainment of the Rainbow Body in Shingon or Tendai?
Legend has it that Kukai is in eternal samadhi in a cave on Mt. Koya.

Dengyo Daishi (Saicho) is present at a certain site on Hiei-zan.
DGA
Former staff member

Post by DGA »

Dharmalight889 wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:30 pm
Malcolm wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:37 pm
Dharmalight889 wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:13 pm What is the Tibetan view of Tendai and Shingon Vajrayana? I know the practices may be different, although do Tibetan's view the other paths as an authentic way to reach Buddhahood in one lifetime?
There is no view because traditionally, Tibetans were unaware of what was happening in Japan. However, in modern times HH Sakya Trizen had opportunity to discuss this with senior Shingon leaders, and they found no essential difference in how yoga tantra is practiced in Tibet and Japan.
Very interesting. I would be curious what if any significant differences there are between Tendai and Tibetan tantric practices. Or even the difference between Shingon and Tendai tantric practices. I have just recently began researching more about Tendai, although information about Shingon is very limited.
There are always differences in practice. And there are differences in how the teachings are articulated, how the texts and doctrinal systems are laid out and ranked, and so on. Tendai discourse and liturgy is organized around the Lotus Sutra, and in particular a specific reading of the Lotus Sutra. From a layperson's perspective it would look a lot like Ch'an or Soen practice until it's time for goma...

But all this is just party conversation as far as I'm concerned. The only way you can get to know in a real sense is if you throw yourself in and practice. Why not? All these are Buddha Dharma, and Buddha Dharma is good.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”