Non-attachment, non-craving, that attitude of detachment from the world in general....

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
PadmaVonSamba

Re: Non-attachment, non-craving, that attitude of detachment from the world in general....

Post by PadmaVonSamba »

Renunciation boils down to what do you want to do with your time.
Do you want to pursue worldly pursuits or devote your time and energy towards attaining liberation from samsara?
If you are a monk or a yogi, then that’s pretty much 99% to 100% renunciation.

But otherwise, for a layperson, I think you can strike a balance, and in Mahayana and Vajrayana, I think especially this has to do with one’s motivation. There are people who are focused on careers so that they can have money to spend on going to weekend dharma teachings and supporting Buddhist temples and so forth.

And again, in Vajrayana, everything can become part of the path. So in that sense, it isn’t the worldly activity itself which is renounced (which is emptiness anyhow, correct?) but rather, one renounces the belief that the various worldly pursuits one is involved with can deliver permanent satisfaction or happiness. In other words, renunciation can be regarded as a matter of attitude.

So, one can pursue fame and fortune if they need to, but doing so can be seen as purely a matter of expedient means, and not as a source of ‘refuge’ (which for most people seems to be the case).
EMPTIFUL.
An inward outlook produces outward insight.
Arjan Dirkse

Re: Non-attachment, non-craving, that attitude of detachment from the world in general....

Post by Arjan Dirkse »

The view I have of renunciation is simply that going after sensual pleasures all the time will not bring ultimate fulfilment, it doesn't mean you have to abstain from all pleasures, the point is to take a broader view of it. Your salvation does not lie in sex or chocolate or vacations.
Malcolm

Post by Malcolm »

Arjan Dirkse wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 pm Your salvation does not lie in sex or chocolate or vacations.
Damn!
PeterC

Post by PeterC »

Arjan Dirkse wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 pm The view I have of renunciation is simply that going after sensual pleasures all the time will not bring ultimate fulfilment, it doesn't mean you have to abstain from all pleasures, the point is to take a broader view of it. Your salvation does not lie in sex or chocolate or vacations.
The Dharma places great importance on developing insight through experience. So I think it’s necessary that we don’t just take for granted that salvation cannot come from sex, chocolate and vacations. We have to really test that theory until we are absolutely certain that we cannot achieve liberation in that way.
LastLegend

Post by LastLegend »

Interesting topic.

The issue is long standing subtle self. It’s been there for countless lifetimes.

How I understand experience: “witness with our eyes and caught with our hands.” Pertaining to mind and nature.
It’s eye blinking.
Kurp

Post by Kurp »

Arjan Dirkse wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 7:31 pm Your salvation does not lie in sex or chocolate or vacations.
*crosses off trip to Hershey Park with Liam Neeson from Enlightenment Bucket List*

:(
Cinnabar

Post by Cinnabar »

Padmist wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 10:36 pm
  • I want to be a Buddhist but how can I detach or fight off craving or have no attachment?
  • I want to be a Buddhist but I'm not sure I want to turn my back on the world, my career, and be like a monk?
  • I want to be a Buddhist but I don't think I can let go of my attachment to wanting to have a family?
Renunciation is universal to all Buddhist paths. The only thing that differs is approaches to working with circumstances. At one end of the spectrum walking away from circumstances that can cause attachment or aversion. And at the other taking circumstances that cause attachment and aversion onto the path.

I find it to be a false dichotomy.

We find ourselves in the midst of circumstances and then we have to work with them. Those circumstances come from causes and conditions. And then... we have to deal with them. It is a rare priviledge to be able to do things like abandon one's wife and children, abandon one's profession, have the virtue and merit to become a monk and have support doing so. So. Here we are. We have to deal with the condition we're in.

It's also a false dichotomy as these approaches aren't mutually exclusive. Sometimes we succeed bringing the poisons onto the path. Sometimes we fail and we have to stop back from situations. Sometimes our experience is naturally liberated. Sometimes we have to work with transformation. Sometimes walk away. Sometimes just pray to the guru.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”