Intention for rebirth in Amitabha's pure land

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Lotomístico

Re: Intention for rebirth in Amitabha's pure land

Post by Lotomístico »

Danny wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 8:58 pm
Lotomístico wrote: Fri Jul 09, 2021 12:41 am
PadmaVonSamba wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 10:46 pm some parts of Cleveland are also very nice.
Certainly, Cleveland can be a Buddha Land.
The Bronx also.
Lots of Buddhas in da Bronx, Yankees too, totally with you on that.
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.
WeiHan

Post by WeiHan »

My take is that it is generally accepted that one can dedicate merit for the deceased and that can help the deceased to attain a better rebirth. Regarding the intention, it is possible if the practitioners who practiced for the deceased are powerful enough, they maybe able to change the intention of the deceased after death. Afterall, intention evolves every moment. That said, generally speaking, it is not easy without merit and strong aspiration to be reborn in a pureland.
Lotomístico

Post by Lotomístico »

WeiHan wrote: Mon Jul 12, 2021 5:35 am My take is that it is generally accepted that one can dedicate merit for the deceased and that can help the deceased to attain a better rebirth. Regarding the intention, it is possible if the practitioners who practiced for the deceased are powerful enough, they maybe able to change the intention of the deceased after death. Afterall, intention evolves every moment. That said, generally speaking, it is not easy without merit and strong aspiration to be reborn in a pureland.
I might be mistaken, but it seems to me that there are different understandings as to whether and how much aspiration on the part of the individual and how much merit (if any) of the individual, is required for rebirth in a Pure Land (and specifically Amitabha's Western Pure Land), between the general Chinese/east Asian Mahayana view, Vajrayana, and even moreso the apparent differences in Japanese Pure Land, Honen having his particular position, and Shinran/Rennyo with their understandings. I was particularly interested in the Vajrayana position on rebirth in Amitabha's Pure Land, and how it might differ from other PL traditions, specifically with regards to personal aspiration/intention, because if I understand the traditional east Asian Mahayana position and Japanese PL position correctly, intent Is for the most part a prerequisite.
One should become the master of one’s mind rather than let one’s mind master oneself.

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”