Drib, as contamination

Forum for discussion of Tibetan Buddhism. Questions specific to one school are best posted in the appropriate sub-forum.
Humanic

Drib, as contamination

Post by Humanic »

Hello,
I recently received a text on a drib sang practice from one of my teachers and I am trying to get a wider understanding about what drib is and how it relates to the spiritual path.
I am also under the impression that there are many different types of drib
Can anyone explain?

Thank you
Sādhaka

Re: Drib, as contamination

Post by Sādhaka »

Last edited by Sādhaka on Tue Jul 06, 2021 3:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Wow, perfect.
Thanks
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

This may sound like a dumb question, but would a practice like a short drib sang practice be taken on as a daily practice or only on occasion?

I was given the text, along with the lung, but I am still unsure as to how often I should do this.
Also, I know sang practice is generally done in the morning, but I am wondering if this is also true with drib sang.

Also, another side question:
Does anyone know the significance of adding menchey to serkyim offering?

Thanks 😊
tingdzin

Post by tingdzin »

Humanic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:27 am Does anyone know the significance of adding menchey to serkyim offering?
It sacralizes the offering by a concrete connection to a practicing lineage. Raises it to the next level, one could say.
Könchok Thrinley
Former staff member

Post by Könchok Thrinley »

Humanic wrote: Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:27 am This may sound like a dumb question, but would a practice like a short drib sang practice be taken on as a daily practice or only on occasion?

I was given the text, along with the lung, but I am still unsure as to how often I should do this.
Also, I know sang practice is generally done in the morning, but I am wondering if this is also true with drib sang.

Also, another side question:
Does anyone know the significance of adding menchey to serkyim offering?

Thanks 😊
Depends on you. Sang is a great daily practice that is especially needed nowadays as we create so much trouble in the world. So many negativities and all these upset the protectors, gods, spirits etc. Hence we have to try and purify. Also it can be a great way to accumulate some merit and purify oneself. But it really depends on you unless your lama told you to do it daily or gave other such instruction. But if it is a short one then I'd support you trying to do it daily.
“Observing samaya involves to remain inseparable from the union of wisdom and compassion at all times, to sustain mindfulness, and to put into practice the guru’s instructions”. Garchen Rinpoche

For those who do virtuous actions,
goodness is what comes to pass.
For those who do non-virtuous actions,
that becomes suffering indeed.

- Arya Sanghata Sutra
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Thanks for the input. I have been doing the drib sang practice daily for the past two weeks, as it is very short and takes less than 10 minutes to add onto my other practices. It has generated a great affinity in me for sang practice in general, and has really freshened up my practice sessions. Hard to explain.
Anyway, I am glad this forum exists to learn from others.
I actually found this forum while searching for more information about sang practice.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Another question.
I found some sang powder specifically for drib sang practices, but are other types of sang powder also acceptable to use? What about using a simple insence stick. This is not an issue now, as this drib sang is widely available here in Boudha, but I may not always have this same access.
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

When I used to do sang every morning with Sangyum Kamala, She would include both a short nol-sang and a short drib-sang in a list of maybe 9-10 different sangs and at least one sur all wrapped up within Riwo Sangchod. So sure you can do it every day if you want. Or you can do it on an as-needed basis. Your choice. And that choice may vary at different points in your practice life.
Pema Chophel པདྨ་ཆོས་འཕེལ
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Thanks for your reply.

I have another question.

I came across a very short sang practice for White Mahakala. I have received an empowerment of White Mahakala in the past but I have not received an oral transmission for this brief sang practice. I have a feeling that the transmission for this practice would be very difficult to receive because it is in a very old compilation of sang practices.
Would it be permissable to engage in this sang?
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

Ask White Mahakala.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Anyone else have any practical, helpful advice regarding my question above?
If I was advanced enough to get direct advise from White Mahakala concerning this question I probably wouldn't be asking others on a forum. :tongue:
I am lost most of the time when it comes to some of these practices.
In the bigger picture I understand these practices are not super important, but I still wish to engage in them in a proper way.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Time will come. Either you'll find a practice teacher face to face. Or you just humbly practice regularily what you have and what you can untill by the time you'll get it better.
Asking online is not the most skillful means.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Thanks for reply.
I assumed that questions such as these was what this forum was for. :shrug:
But then again, I am new to forums and don't quite understand what is considered a "skillful" question and what is not when it comes to seeking practice advice from others.
I will have a chance to ask directly at some point when lockdown is lifted, so not a big deal.
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Humanic wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:45 pm Thanks for reply.
I assumed that questions such as these was what this forum was for. :shrug:
But then again, I am new to forums and don't quite understand what is considered a "skillful" question and what is not when it comes to seeking practice advice from others.
I will have a chance to ask directly at some point when lockdown is lifted, so not a big deal.
Maybe I misunderstood your intention? Are you asking for advice how to practice? Then asking random people online is no good idea. Here you do not even know who is answering.
Maybe you can ask your teacher or the organisation around them via email about certain practice details?

The purpose of DW is discussing all aspects around Mahayana and Vajrayana buddhism - but teaching how to practice is not possible here.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Did you read the question I asked above?
Anyway, I was asking about whether or not lung was needed to engage in a particular sang practice.
Anyway, I sure didn't intend for this to turn into a big issue.
I will refrain from asking any more questions until I get a better understanding of what is going on here in this forum.
Apologies
Ayu
Global Moderator

Post by Ayu »

Humanic wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 6:56 pm Did you read the question I asked above?
Anyway, I was asking about whether or not lung was needed to engage in a particular sang practice.
Anyway, I sure didn't intend for this to turn into a big issue.
I will refrain from asking any more questions until I get a better understanding of what is going on here in this forum.
Apologies
No need to appologize. I hope I didn't come across harshly.

I think, wether you need lung differs from teacher to teacher as well? I would ask that there.
Humanic

Post by Humanic »

Thanks for clarifying a bit more.
I will wait to ask a monk friend directly when I get the chance.
Thanks for your patience
pemachophel

Post by pemachophel »

If you've had the White Mahakala empowerment, do the associated practice regularly, and feel a real connection with this Deity, then it is probably fine to do this short sang along with the intention to get the lung when and if possible.

When I suggested you ask White Mahakala, I was suggesting that you check in with your own gut feelings about your question. For instance, what's the answer you get when you sincerely ask White Mahakala if you can do this? Then follow that answer (not some second or third amendment or qualification of that answer).

Good luck & best wishes.
Konchog Thogme Jampa

Post by Konchog Thogme Jampa »

pemachophel wrote: Thu Jul 08, 2021 7:38 pm If you've had the White Mahakala empowerment, do the associated practice regularly, and feel a real connection with this Deity, then it is probably fine to do this short sang along with the intention to get the lung when and if possible.

When I suggested you ask White Mahakala, I was suggesting that you check in with your own gut feelings about your question. For instance, what's the answer you get when you sincerely ask White Mahakala if you can do this? Then follow that answer (not some second or third amendment or qualification of that answer).

Good luck & best wishes.
:good:

Return to “Tibetan Buddhism”